Anyone on Synthroid medication?

Options
If you are taking synthroid to treat a thyroid disorder, you've probably noticed an increased appetite. I've been on it for almost 3 weeks and i've been taking in more calories than usual due to a feeling of hunger more frequently. My question is... is taking in more calories because of the medication okay to do? I read that it speeds up metabolism. I'm wondering if my body actually does need the extra calories or if the pill's side effect is just a feeling of hunger and i should eat as normal.

Replies

• Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid for 14 yrs. There are many side effects that I have experienced from increased appetite to loss of hair. I have learned to crave the hunger as my metabolite has not increased till recently. The average person on this medicine who is active can in fact take in more calories... But for those like me the fatigue side effect made me a couch potato. best of luck.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    You might need those calories now that your metabolism is getting closer to normal. Make sure you're not eating soy within 4 hours of taking it--something I just recently found out after having to increase my dosage every time I had my level checked.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperthyroidism/AN00454

Just thought I'd pass this along as it doesn't seem to be common knowledge. It was the first time my PCP heard about soy interfering with absorption...
  • Darka
    Darka Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Soy, and dairy. If taking vitamins with calcium space 4 hrs in btween. I've been on synthroid for 18 years. My hair has thinned. I could eat like a horse(and sometimes do), but I feel a lot of fatigue and mild depression so sometimes working out can be a challenge.
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been on Synthroid since 1987. I have had all the above symptoms. When the thyroid is leveled out, you don't notice side effects but when it isn't, you can have all the above. Let me tell you though, if you need the medicine it's a lot worse without it. Just check in with your doctor when you are supposed to. I have found that I cannot take the generic. That always throws me "off." I saw a nurse practitioner last checkup. She said that the generics are "touted" to be the same but they are not. Make sure you check your prescription each time too. I took the wrong meds for thyroid for a month once and thought I was going to lose my mind.
    It usually takes 3-4 weeks for things to level out. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm on synthroid. I have been back on it now for about 6 months. I did not notice an increase in hunger on synthroid alone. However, an increase in hunger does sometimes indicate an increase in your metabolism. I did notice an increase in hunger once I started to workout heavily. As I stared to eat more, I started to lose weight, FINALLY! If you are exercising, (which speeds up metabolism too) then I would, (and do) eat more calories.

I had no idea about the soy thing! There goes my veggie sausage in the morning!
  • lyn54
    Options
    . My hair has thinned. I could eat like a horse(and sometimes do), but I feel a lot of fatigue and mild depression so sometimes working out can be a challenge.
    I empathize with you! I have been reading the posts on here. It seems a lot of people suffer from thyroid problems. Why do you think that is? Kelp and trace minerals have helped me, too.

Good luck with this issue!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Darka
    Darka Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know my Mother had it. My niece had an issue with a goiter. I would say genetics play a part but I'm one of 7 kids and the only one diagnosed in my 30's....then again most of my siblings are boys! Out of my 17 nieces/nephews only one has had an issue. I believe enviroment and increased processed foods over the years have brought wreaked (sp?) havoc on the human body.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm on synthroid due to my doctor's suspicion of an overactive thyroid. I got blood work done after losing quite a bit of weight very quickly, despite healthy behaviors. Before beginning the treatment, I did not notice many symptoms other than weight loss and occasional fatigue. Now that i'm on the medication, I feel that i have more energy, i'm often anxious in fact (i feel jacked up on caffeine all the time), and my appetite is HUGE. I'm just wondering, if my metabolism was faster than normal before, is it getting even more fast??!!! I've had a hard time coming to terms with the doctor's explanations.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm on synthroid due to my doctor's suspicion of an overactive thyroid. I got blood work done after losing quite a bit of weight very quickly, despite healthy behaviors. Before beginning the treatment, I did not notice many symptoms other than weight loss and occasional fatigue. Now that i'm on the medication, I feel that i have more energy, i'm often anxious in fact (i feel jacked up on caffeine all the time), and my appetite is HUGE. I'm just wondering, if my metabolism was faster than normal before, is it getting even more fast??!!! I've had a hard time coming to terms with the doctor's explanations.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Synthroid is used for hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid. Are you also taking an antithyroid or had a surgical or radioisotope procedure done? I know reading the test results is opposite of what you might think; a high value is underactive and a low value is overactive...

There are a lot of articles online about soy and it possibly being the cause of thyroid problems as well as it preventing the absorption of the Synthroid medication. I also have a daughter with a soy allergy, so I was shocked to find out it is added to nearly everything out there. There is not a loaf of bread, for example, at my local Super Target that does not contain soy. If it is true that is causes an underactive thyroid, well I guess that might explain why so many people have one these days.
  • lyn54
    Options
    HMMMM....well, I can't eat soy. That might explain why my body says, "no!":huh: Our bodies try to tell us lots of things but we don't listen...:wink::flowerforyou:
    Thanks for the info!
  • aprilw2222
    aprilw2222 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too am on synthroid (Levoyhroxin) and just this week I did a search for this because one day I forgot to take the meds. and oddly enough I didn't feel hungry even at normal meal times. I ate less and still felt satisfied!! I have been struggling with this for awhile but it never occurred to me that it could be the medication. I don't usually forget because I know how I will feel if I don't take it. Even this morning after not taking it yesterday I didn't feel STARVED or feel like I had to eat right away. I do think there is a connection!!
  • dedicated2014
    dedicated2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are taking synthroid to treat a thyroid disorder, you've probably noticed an increased appetite. I've been on it for almost 3 weeks and i've been taking in more calories than usual due to a feeling of hunger more frequently. My question is... is taking in more calories because of the medication okay to do? I read that it speeds up metabolism. I'm wondering if my body actually does need the extra calories or if the pill's side effect is just a feeling of hunger and i should eat as normal.

Yes, your body needs the extra calories. Your metabolism is in the process of regulating. While your body might have been fine with decreased calories before because your metabolism had slowed down, it now requires more to function optimally.

Synthroid itself shouldn't cause any hunger side effects.