Oh man, sudden weight gain after hospitalization.

Options
In the last 14 months with the help of this amazing web site I have lost over 100 pounds. Thank you myfitnesspal and friends.

Three weeks ago an artery ruptured in my lung. I was in Intensive Care for 6 days where they did surgery to repair my lung. Obviously I have missed three weeks of exercise, although I stayed within my calorie limits almost every day.

My problem is I ( obviously ) had to quit smoking. I have tried very hard not to eat more than normal during this extremely stressful time. I have gained four (4) pounds as of today.

I started back at the gym last week and started swimming laps again yesterday. I am obsessing about this weight gain. Maybe I just need some support and encouragement.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You know what to do. You did it before and can do it again. :flowerforyou:
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    An artery rupture followed by surgery is a very tough assault to the body. You are still healing, and probably have a lot of inflammation (read: water weight) as your body is trying to heal and recover. I had a very minor out-patient surgery a few years ago, and I can tell you it took I think 4 weeks to get back to normal. Being in the ICU and having major surgery like that is much more major, so I think it will take longer for your body to recover.

Giving up smoking is great! And managing to stick within your calorie goal during this time is absolutely amazing! I bet once your body settles back to normal (well, improved normal as you're not smoking any more), this extra weight will come off. Stick with it!
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO! Way to go on joining the 100 pound club!

You are TOTALLY right, support and encouragement are where it's at! You lost over ONE HUNDRED POUNDS! You can totally get rid of that measly 4 lbs, am I right? :)
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Relax and let the anxiety over this go. It happens every time I go into the hospital or my docs put me on steroids for a month. You are going to lose it again. It's going to be OK. I know how difficult it is to be patient.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    4 lbs is nothing. I lost weight from January to August and then when I started eating maintenance my weight bounced up 5 lbs. It has stayed there for two months despite TRYING to gain weight.

After prolonged calorie deficit, the body is deficient in glycogen and dehydrated. When you give it a little excess energy, it replenishes glycogen and the water associated with it. This is what causes weight to bounce up as you're coming off a calorie deficit.

On top of that, any sort of healing your body does with damaged tissue causes a lot of water retention and therefore weight gain. That's why a heavy bout of exercise can make us gain a pound or three overnight.

It's no big deal and it doesn't mean you gained any fat. Don't sweat it and just do your thing.

Oh, and glad you made it OK.
  • Kakalina2
    Kakalina2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks so very much for your support. I think sometimes, we just need someone to say " hang in there you're doing OK".

I had no idea that weight gain after the hospital was so common. What I did learn today ( that I did not know ) was that smoking a pack of cigs a day burns about 250 calories. So, one of the reasons so many gain weight after quitting is not making up for those extra calories not burned. Who knew? That's a lot of calories to make up for.

Thanks again for all your support and sympathy, I needed that.