Vitamins What do you take and why?

Options
I am looking for true life testimonies on what you take and why it helps. Thanks in advance.

I am due for bypass surgery in a few months and want to know how they have helped other than just giving me the nutrients.

I currently take potassium because my diet doesn't have a lot of high potassium foods. I have also noticed that when i do take it regularly i don't have the leg twitches at night due to poor circulation. So in that way it's helping me and i can see it.

I also am fighting a battle with my thyroid , to which i have a hard time with the Synthroid i take.

Replies

• Can you tolerate high protein? They recommend very high protein diets. 60-100 daily
  • MMBoeck
    MMBoeck Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yes i am on a high protein diet.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    An ordinary multivitamin should be all you need, unless your doctor or a registered dietitian advises otherwise. Potassium supplements can cause fatal arrhythmias if used incorrectly, so i wouldn't take it without a doctor's approval. Most food databases lack info on potassium, but deficiencies are rare. How much sodium do you average per day? That can affect potassium status.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I take a multi, fish oil, and prescription doses of Vitamin D (50,000 IU weekly).
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I take womens' gummy one a day multivitamins, with two gummy calcium added, that's it.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and biotin daily. I bought some calcium and will start taking those soon. It's hard for me to get enough calcium because of my lactose interolance. The biotin is for hair, skin, and nails. I've noticed better skin, hair growth and shine with taking that one.
  • Aelyssa1989
    Aelyssa1989 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I take an ORGANIC multi (Vitamin, Mineral, Phytonutrient). I emphasize organic because vitamins like 'One a Day' and 'Centrum' are all synthetically produced, therefore your body doesn't know what to do with it and excretes it, giving your body 0 benefit. Organic (natural) might cost a bit more, but at least you're not wasting your money.

I also take fish oil (omega 3 & 6), and concentrated fruits & vegetables, biotin (for skin, hair & nails), Cal mag D (calcium, magnesium, vitamin D), Chromium (Helps boost your metabolism), a B vitamin, and iron.

I supplement a lot, but I don't feel I get everything I need from food. I will take some of these on and off, for example, I don't take iron all the time, i'll take a month or two off every 3-4 months.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I take a generic women's health multi just to help me hit my micronutrient needs every day. It's cheap, and anything extra that I don't need I just pee out. I also take fish oil because I work out intensely and it helps with knee soreness.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I emphasize organic because vitamins like 'One a Day' and 'Centrum' are all synthetically produced, therefore your body doesn't know what to do with it and excretes it, giving your body 0 benefit.

If that were true then the synthetic vitamins prescribed by doctors wouldn't correct deficiencies, as shown on lab tests.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal because I was told to by doctors because I was very deficient in many things. But I also take a calcium, magnesium and a vitamin D supplement to keep my bones up to date!
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Be careful with potassium. It's a mineral. It's not difficult to get enough in your diet if you're eating just about any fruits or veggies. If you take too much of a supplement, it can wreak havoc with your heart. The only way you should take it is if it is prescribed by your doctor. Usually it is prescribed if you are taking a diuretic such as Lasix, which flushes natural potassium stores out of your body.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-potassium
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I take a liquid multi, B complex, and a calcium/magnesium/vitamin D. It's possible I may just be creating expensive urine, to quote Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory, but I figure it's probably worth trying, at least. My logic is that the multi might help with whatever doesn't make it into my diet on a given day, I'm scared of osteoporosis, thus the calcium, and I find the B complex is helpful for my energy level. I'm not a huge vitamin/mineral believer, but I think it's probably better than nothing. Maybe.
  • MMBoeck
    Options
    Doctor knows i am on potassium because i ended up with a deficiency a couple years ago and ended up in the hospital. They have been monitoring it ever since.
  • MMBoeck
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and biotin daily. I bought some calcium and will start taking those soon. It's hard for me to get enough calcium because of my lactose interolance. The biotin is for hair, skin, and nails. I've noticed better skin, hair growth and shine with taking that one.
    Thanks for the Biotin tip.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplement - "Natural Calm." It's a drink. Helps with foot cramps and sleep. (I swear by this).

Vitamin D - I take extra for an autoimmune issue.

Multi - I take that just because.
  • MMBoeck
    Options
    I take a liquid multi, B complex, and a calcium/magnesium/vitamin D. It's possible I may just be creating expensive urine, to quote Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory, but I figure it's probably worth trying, at least. My logic is that the multi might help with whatever doesn't make it into my diet on a given day, I'm scared of osteoporosis, thus the calcium, and I find the B complex is helpful for my energy level. I'm not a huge vitamin/mineral believer, but I think it's probably better than nothing. Maybe.
    Vitamin B complex is on my list now, ty.
  • MMBoeck
    Options
    Magnesium supplement - "Natural Calm." It's a drink. Helps with foot cramps and sleep. (I swear by this).

Vitamin D - I take extra for an autoimmune issue.

Multi - I take that just because.
    I will look into the magnesium. Ty for the input. I am also starting menopause and nights seem to be the worse, if i can stop the sudden jolts etc it would just be one more thing towards a restful night.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I take Biotin, a multivitamin and 5-HTP (for mood and depression).
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I take megared (for the heart healthy omega3 without the fishy burps), pearl probiotic (to keep my plumbing from backing up :wink: ), citrical +vitaminD3 (because I love my bones and this form of calcium can be taken on an empty stomach), and a liquid organic multivitamin (to give me energy and fill in any gaps that may exist in my regimen).
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I take D3 and Fish Oil as actual vitamins. I also take CLA for fat burning, and Creatine and glutamine - govt studies suggest that older people who supplement with them maintain muscle better than those who don't.

I stopped taking calcium on the advise of my doctor - 3 reasons - studies have shown that calcium supplements don't actually get absorbed and thus don't help your bones, but also there are studies showing a correlation with heart issues AND a new finding that extended use of calcium supplements has been linked with brain lesions. I have osteopenia so you know my doc wouldn't say don't unless she thought the issues were significant. I get my calcium from yogurts and lots of green leafy veggies (spinach, kale, turnips greens).

Since you have some medical issues, I really hope that you'll clear anything new with your doctor!