I need to UP my protein and LOWER my sodium

Options
Hi All!

MFP has a setting particularly low for Protein, my trainer says I need to be getting 100g a day! Ah! I am usually about 65-80g a day.

Also, I am very bad with my sodium also, I NEVER put extra salt on my food, but just in general. And I know the more natural the food is and not processed the lower the sodium, I just need suggestions and/or ideas!!

Thanks MFPals!

Replies

• msstonediva
    msstonediva Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    your weight loss is an inspiration to me...

congrats and keep up the good work...

regarding uping your protein, you should try whey protein shakes... you can buy the powder mix and mix it with water, 1 serving is about 25 grams of protein...

good luck
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I wasn't getting enough protein and then I started having smoothies in the morning with vegan protein powder and almond milk (and fruit, and wheat germ, and oatmeal - strange, but satisfying).

As far as sodium, I have also started replacing salt in meat recipes with lime juice - it's especially delicious in ground turkey. Yummmmmm.

I made chicken noodle soup last night that only had 266 mg of sodium per HUGE serving - I posted the recipe if you're interested.
  • svackar
    svackar Posts: 33
    Options

regarding uping your protein, you should try whey protein shakes... you can buy the powder mix and mix it with water, 1 serving is about 25 grams of protein...

Congrats on your success so far! You're doing great.

I would also say soy or whey protein shakes too, plus you might need to add additional protein to the basic shake mixes. I use 1 a few times a week as a meal...usually breakfast or a mid-day snack. Other great sources of protein can be found in; Protein drink mixes, Chicken, Fish, Greek Yogurt, Cottage cheese, and protein bars. You just need to find a good balance for your diet and watch the fat grams.

My daily goal is between 160 - 170 protein a day...it can be difficult some days, but so far it's been working.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I had the same realization as you about 2 months ago. Feel free to check out my food diary for ideas, especially in the last 2 weeks where I've been really careful with sodium. Some of things that help me stay low on sodium and higher on protein...

- Drink a protein shake. I've been drinking a Designer Whey protein shake daily and it adds 25-30g of protein for the day. Without it, I'd be way below my protein goal. I add yummy things to it like pumpkin, greek yogurt, peanut butter, and sugar free coffee creamer for flavor. Just blend with soy milk or almond milk for a better taste, I find it kinda icky with water.

- Try to eat a salad for one meal. I tend to have a salad for lunch during the week and that really helps cut out sodium. There's very little in the salads that I make, usually coming from some egg and cottage cheese.

- Eat snacks with protein. My favorites are greek yogurt, Kashi TLC bars, peanut butter on rice cakes, and light string cheese.

- Avoid frozen foods or check carefully how much sodium is in them. I still eat out of my freezer, but I don't buy items high in sodium. Around 500 mg is the max I'll buy, I prefer much lower.
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey babe, I bake the Purdue Perfect Portions -- they're 140 cals each, with 60mg sodium and 32g of protein! I then take Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Blend and thoroughly coat it and it tastes AMAZING.

Slap one on a tortilla or maybe a sandwich thin...nom.
  • maggiemae234
    Options
    My personal trainer recommends Isopure. It has 50g of protein per serving and is low in carbs and calories. She said that she adds it to her oatmeal. I have not tried it yet, but plan on starting it this week. My personal training also recommended a 100 grams a week or roughly half my body weight. :smile: . I copies part of the label. There are a bunch of vitamins and minerals too. Personally, I think the sodium is a bit high so I might just do half a scoop.

Amount per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 210
    Calories from Fat 10
    Total Fat 1g 1%
    Saturated Fat .5g 3%
    Cholesterol 10mg 4%
    Sodium 340mg 14%
    Potassium 730mg 8%
    Total Carbohydrates 0g 8%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 50g 100%