Can you offer constructive advice on my food dairy?

Options
I'm wanting help with my food diary. Constructive help only please.

My problem is that I am going over constantly on my sugar and sometimes on my protein, but I have heaps of calories left over. I have no idea what I should be eating that has carbs and fat but no sugar or protein, that could bump up my caloric consumption. I'm only 5'3" by the way.

My background is that I am a junk food addict/binger and coca cola addict who is cleaning up her diet, weaning off the coke, and trying to make some positive lifestyle changes, loosing weight and starting to exercise.

Can anyone have a look and give me ideas?

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being over on protein! As far as I can tell the levels here are skewed very low, much lower than they need to be. And there is no reason to eat more carbs unless you really want to; I usually try to stay under 100g myself.

Stick with fresh veggies and lean meats and stay away from processed food/added sugars and you'll be just fine.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Well for one you need to figure out if you have had a true addiction or close to one or not. If so you might need some professional counseling otherwise you'll be wasting time or spinning your wheels.

Otherwise, like most folks around here, your protein intake is to low. This is not a bodybuilding thing, it's a metabolic thing. work on getting that up. Mfp usually sets people out on crazy low protein intake. Avoid suggestions to eat based on ratios, you eat based on the amount of person you're eating for. try to get to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass, .4 grams of fat per lb of lean body mass and fill in the rest with carbs.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Unless you health issues that would dictate otherwise, no need to worry about going over protein. Probably best to aim for at least 75 g. Sugar from fruit I wouldn't worry about and you don't seem to take in too much from junk food. You need tobe eating all your calories though so you can best fuel your body!
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound ridiculous but..... I noticed in your diary the days you often go over in sugar are the days you have had a few pieces of fruit and or/berry smoothies. Fruit is a great food and everyone should eat it but it does contain sugar! Albeit natural sugars. I think you would find that reducing your intake slightly would improve the sugar side of things.

As far as fat is concerned things like nuts are a great way to add some fats and calories as a snack. Adding peanut butter into your diet (maybe instead of jam at breakfast) is another great way to increase in good fats. Avocados are great too, I personally hate the bloody things but they are high in good fats and can be a good snack or alternative to butter.
  • blankney94
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your good suggestions. We live on a farmlet - so no problems sourcing protein! Will aim to increase that. I find when I get more protein I feel fuller for longer.

My problem with junk food is that I over indulge every winter. By that, I mean eating a family size bag of chips all by myself, half a block of chocolate, litres of coke - to the point way past satisfaction. Happens every winter, for some reason. I've been eating healthy now for about 2.5 weeks. The weight is just falling off - I think due to less salt and water retention.

Looks like I might have to work on proportions - working out how much protein etc is right for me. I'm seeing a surgeon this week as follow up after my appendix operation. I might try and get a Dietician referral out of him.
  • blankney94
    Options
    Bumpity bump!

I've done a bit of research on what my macronutrient ratios should be.

I was rather interested to find that the macronutrient settings on here (well for me anyway) were set at only 15% for protein! I believe that's very low, so I've upped it to 30%.

It's good - it suits my existing lifestyle to eat more protein as southern people in NZ tend to eat a lot of meat. Hopefully now I'll be able to consume all of my daily calories while keeping everything in balance.
  • chad23jl
    chad23jl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in seeing what your exercise routine is as well. I noticed on the few days of the diet that I looked at, that you didnt add in burned calories from that. Other than that....man, I dont know how anyone can survive on 1200 calories....LOL.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine, especially if you're already watching your carbs (mine is set to 50% and is a maximum, but I don't care if I go over once in a while as long as I show no sign of hypoglycemia). If the sugar is from fruit, it's coupled with fiber which is good.

Good job at upping your protein macro! A lot of people don't realize how low the default setting is for this macro. I have mine set to 25% and use it as a minimum.

Instead of watching sugar, I would suggest watching fiber or potassium. I personally watch potassium (my diary is open) and sodium and I try to aim for a 2:1 ration of potassium:sodium to help regulate the fluids in my body.

Treats are fine in moderation. I don't think that any food is inherently "good" or "bad". Some foods just provide more nutrients than others. I follow IIFYM (if it fits your macros, iifym.com). If I've hit my fat and protein minimum and I have some leftover calories, I will have something special.

Best of luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • blankney94
    Options
    To Chad23 - so I only manage exercise every 3 days or so. When I'm not at work, I've got the kids with me. Our weather has been horrendous lately - so can't drag the kids out in that. When DH is home though I can get a decent run or walk in.

Today for example, I was desperate for a walk, it was a howling gale and had just finished raining. Got a 20 min walk in, and just as I got inside, it poured down again with rain. Phew!

Thinking of looking up some Swiss ball exercises so I can at least do something indoors.