is losing half a pound a day normal ?

I'm desperate to lose weight (not because I need to, just because I want to) and I'm limiting my calorie intake to about 600 cals a day

if you add in the cardio (~300 cals burned) that's even less

I am losing about half a pound a day and I'm wondering if this is normal considering how much I'm eating? I'm really new to this

Replies

• Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    What's not normal is you eating 600 cals, why are you doing this to your body?
  • What's not normal is you eating 600 cals, why are you doing this to your body?

because I hate my appearance
  • That is VERY unhealthy. Not only is your body in starvation mode but you cannot possibly be getting all the nutrients your body needs... Maximum weight loss in one week should be 2 lbs... Unless under physician supervision...
  • Sashoi
    Then why not do it the healthy way, what's your rush?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg
  • Then why not do it the healthy way, what's your rush?

I guess I just get really impatient. if my weight stays the same or increases I lose all motivation to continue dieting at all and I feel horrible for the rest of the day.. I kind of just want to reach my goal weight asap so I can get to maintaining it.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member

you need to go see a medical/mental health professional
  • What's not normal is you eating 600 cals, why are you doing this to your body?

In the 40's they did close to what you are doing as an experiment (but they actually ate several times more per day). They lost a dramatic amount of weight after a while, but once they stopped on the diet, they gained back more weight than they originally had, and had an average of 75% more fat than previously. Is that really what you want to do?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member

are you according to the BMI overweight or obese?

yep, this. Eating disorder thinking.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So how do you think you'll look in one year when you have burned off a bunch of muscle mass this time around.
    Your metabolism takes a nose dive for all the normal reasons plus being suppressed.
    And you can't eat more than 1000 calories without gaining.
    And you've fallen off the wagon and gained it all back and more, and fast gain because of terrible metabolism.
    And then you run away from the wagon because of how fast you gained and eat even worse.
    And in one year you are fatter than you are now.

Perhaps not realizing it's going to be a whole lot harder to attempt it again.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    eating disorders aren't healthy or normal seek help
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member

Problem is that after you diet like this, you will lose a lot of lean mass, making it much harder for you to maintain there. Some people who've lost that much lean mass can still have excessive amounts of fat even while they're clinically underweight.

You really need to see a mental health professional to get you onto a more healthy track with food and diet. This is not normal and it doesn't have to be this way.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    I'm also not quite sure if this is serious, but just in case...

Think about it this way, if you try to lose in a hurry on a VLCD (very low calorie diet) it's going to be extremely hard for you to maintain your weight at anything near a normal calorie level. You need to find a healthy level of calories to eat (definitely more than 600... try at least 2x that unless you are under medical supervision), and recognize that weight loss should be slow and steady. You didn't gain the weight overnight, losing it won't happen overnight either.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Such a limited number of calories definitely puts you in an eating disorder category. You can lose weight and eat more than that and you'll feel much better, more energetic, probably much happier. MFP has a decent calculator to tell you how many calories you should eat to lose 2 pounds per week. Give it a shot.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    I think what you have is a eating disorder. There is counselling out there for the problems you are having with your appearance and such. Doing that you are doing eating 600 exercising 300 is going to put your body into havoc. You may lose now, but wait .. it will end, you will get sick, and the body will not lose any more. And when you do eat everything will be stored. Please get help so that you can do this the healthy way. You need to eat more to weigh less. You need a certain amount of calories just for your body to function (BMR) and when you go way below that the body will put up a fuss.
  • ShapenerFiterrati
    ShapenerFiterrati Posts: 111 Member
    No, not normal. Your body needs the proper nutrients in order to have a faster metabolism and burn more. Your calorie intake should be NO LESS than 1,200-400.

Besides, you don't just want to lose the fat, you want to get the muscle, tighten the skin, and be healthy. That won't happen with 300-600 calories a day.

Hope you see what I mean.
    Add me- I'll be more than happy to stick with you!
  • Sashoi

Like he said, seek help because I think you may need more than what mfp offers
  • Your body can only metabolize so much fat per day... so your deficit is pointlessly large
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    I've known quite a few girls who ended up being hospitalized after chronically eating and exercising at that amount.