Helping a friend

Options
Ok so my gym buddy is an awesome girl, we've been friends since childhood and have recently started going to the gym together. Like me, she's been overweight most of her life and has decided to give weight-loss a serious go. When we go to the gym, she spends about 40 mins walking on the treadmill and maybe 5 minutes on an elliptical or a bike, never breaking a sweat. No strength training at all. I've tried to explain how strength training helps with weightloss, but I don't seem to be getting through. Do you guys think I should push her to try and work outside her comfort zone? I don't know whether to offer advice or not, because I feel like I'm being condescending.

Replies

• FarEastTexan
    Options
    Don't offer unsolicited advice, that usually sends people running in the opposite direction. I think the best thing to do is just keep doing what you're doing - be a role model.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Nope. Do your own thing and refrain from criticizing her workouts. All it will likely do is make her feel judged. Hopefully, when she sees the awesome results you are getting, she'll join you at the squat rack, but until then, just be positive and supportive.

For the record, while I do lift weights, I almost never break a sweat doing cardio in the climate controlled gym, unless I'm running on the treadmill. Sweat is not a great automatic indicator of how hard she is working.
  • Eaving1
    Eaving1 Posts: 40
    Options
    Okay thanks guys, I'll leave well enough alone :)
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    She's in the gym so as long as she is moving about that's better than not going at all.

Push her & she might start to dread going then stop going.

You sound like a good friend :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would leave it for now. If you push her she might stop going all together. Lead by example and be supportive.