Struggling to eat daily calories

Options
OMG I can't believe it, I have been given a daily consumption of 1200 calories but I am really struggling to eat
that amount. I am just not hungry!!! I am eating breakfast, something I haven't done for years!! But most days I am under (sometimes by hundreds).

Can anyone give some advice? I did notice that for the first week I had several hypoglycemic episodes and am having more dextro tablets that I normally do.

My diary is open to all if your want to take a look.

Thanks to you all for reading.

Nicola:drinker:

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Because of hypoglycemic episodes and am having more dextro tablets I would suggest talking to your doctor.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yup, talk to your doc...

On an aside: you may want to intake some proteins in the AM. Your body has not eaten for a long time overnight, so by not introducing proteins in the AM, you are carbing up which won't help in weight loss (if that's your goal)... I saw that you had a LOT of sodium, you may wan to think about more complexe carbs (sweet potatoes/brown rice) and cut out the salts/butters and refined sugars...

Good luck!
  • purplenut
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being under you calorie intake allowence. You just don't want to go over!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You do have to eat more, a minimum of 1200 calories plus exercise calories
    It is easy to get more calories. Add nuts, seeds and/or avocado to soups and salads. Add olive oil to salads and soups. have a handful of nuts or seeds as a snack. have an apple with peanut butter, switch one glass of water with a glass of juice. Drink a higher % fat Milk (i.e. switch from 1% to 2%) Sprinkle full fat granola on your cereal, eat full fat yogurt. Add a slice of cheese to your day. It doesn't have to be about eating more food but rather eating more calorie dense foods. you wont feel like you are eating more in quantity but you can get more calories by looking at your food choices.
  • Cawen
    Cawen Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I do know about diabetes, and it looks like you are eating quite a few high glycemic index foods, such as potatoes and carrots. Forgive me if you already know this, but high GI foods can cause blood glucose swings. I'd recommend adding a little more fat and protein to your meals and snacks; this could help you meet your goal while avoiding hypoglycemic episodes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being under you calorie intake allowence. You just don't want to go over!

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Going under 1200 can cause your metabolism to slow down and it is very difficult to get the required nutrition on less than 1200 cals unless you are eating perfectly clean.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Talk to the doc!

How in the world can your daily calorie intake be 1200. If that is accurate this what I would do. Burn 400 to 500 calories doing exercises and up that to 1600 to 1700. So some strength training as well.
  • njripley
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals.

I wish you well in your goals, please dont hesitate to add me as a friend. :flowerforyou:
  • njripley
    Options
    "Cawen"

Thanks for that.

I only went to the hospital a few times and on one occasion they gave me a glucose tolerance test and I ended up almost in a coma in the waiting room!!

They didnt really go into it very indepth as it wasnt insulin dependant, I just got a list of foods to eat and what to avoid. Since then I have been trying to monitor it myself.
  • njripley
    Options
    I used to go to the gym 2-3 times a week but am currently having physio on my back and they have suggested to leave it for a while.

Nx
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You should add in a couple of snacks and yes more protein.....Protein is never a waste of your calories....Believe me you feel much better over all.
  • njripley
    Options
    I must admit the other day at work I took a ham salad sandwich on granary wholemeal and I did feel much better that day than just eating salad on its own.
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can fatten up some choices, the easiest way to do that is use fuller-fat/healthy fat foods.
    Nuts, nut butter, avocado, fuller fat dairy (yogurt, cheese), add some olive oil to meals, etc.