Ideas for Spinach?

Options

Replies

• Raderal14
    Options
    I usually use spinach as a base for my green smoothies. A cup of spinach and some fruit and voila! It may look like an unappealing green color, but you really can't taste the spinach at all.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I finely chop it and put it into anything I can. Snuck it into stuffed shells tonight, put it into scrambled eggs and omelette, soups...list goes on. At firsts family complained but they've realized that you can't really taste it, so they're used to it now. For me, I like spinach instead of lettuce in salads now. Just experiment, lots you can go with it.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yum, I LOVE spinach!!! I use it in my salads, sandwiches, pastas, etc. And I love it creamed (there are low-cal/low-fat versions you can make) but my fave would be sauteed with garlic and sprinkled with pepper. SIMPLE!
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach is a really great and tasty base for salads.

As for regular English spinach, you can make:
    - Spinach and ricotta pastries which aren't so healthy but they are SO YUMMY
    - Veggie fritatta with spinach plus pumpkin and feta, it's delicious and full of protein from the eggs
    - Just cook up some spinach with butter and garlic, eat as a side to any dish. It goes well with mushrooms

You could try this: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/03/the-best-baked-spinach/
    It looks really tasty!
  • michelleraebaker
    michelleraebaker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My favorite is chicken breasts in a cake pan, with cut up tomatoes, light Italian dressing then fill the pan with the whole bag of spinach, it shrinks a lot when cooked. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for an hour. Yummmmmy! If your kids don't like it they can still eat the chicken breasts.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I use it in salads but today I put some on my tuna wrap (just tuna pounch on fat free tortilla) and pressed it in my George Foreman...SO FREAKING GOOD!

I also know people put it on their grilled cheese. My mom cooks it into her egg beaters when scrambling (I've done this with egg whites and liked it with a little hot sauce).

Also you can put it in quiches made with egg beaters.

You can put in grilled cheese but using mozzerella or italian blend cheese (add mushrooms makes it really good)

My dad puts it on pizza and that's good as well.
  • burbacka1132
    burbacka1132 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I add spinach to salads. I also throw a handful in a blender with strawberries/banana/water.
  • Uhhhwut
    Uhhhwut Posts: 23
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else has said this but I like to mix spinach into scrambled egg whites. I replace lettuce with spinach in sandwiches as well, also I put it in smoothies...hell I love spinach with everything!
  • ckmurph
    ckmurph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the great replies! There were quite a few ideas that I am going to try. Tonight, I sauteed it with olive oil and garlic. I found I needed a little more flavor, so I sprinkled it with some grated cheese. As far as getting my son to eat it, I think I'll have to resort to hiding it in sauces and such.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've been making wraps for work lunch with fresh spinach, feta, and sandwich meat. Worked pretty well.
  • curvygirly911
    curvygirly911 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My iron is also very low and I started taking multivitamins. This might sound silly but I started taking Flintstones for children since they are the only ones I can stomach :)

Anywho I recently started using spinach as well and I am going through about two boxes of baby spinach a week now.

I usually throw it in a fry pan with some Pam 0 calorie spray and just swish it around until it's cooked. Believe me when I say that three cups of spinach fresh look like about 3 tbsp after you've had them on the stove for a bit. This makes it so easy for me to put into omelettes or sandwiches. The more you heat it up the smaller it becomes so if you want to make it more visual then you can also stir it for less time.
    I add this to pastas, sandwiches, omelettes, wraps, you name it.
    I also blend it into a smoothie and though you can see it you def can't taste it provided there's enough fruit in it to mask the taste.

Trust me when I say that your son won't notice there is spinach in his food if you heat it up on the stove like I mentioned. I go through three cups a day with this method.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    My two favorite uses for spinach:

Salad with spinach and arugula as the base, diced watermelon, feta cheese and balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing. This is so frickin' good. Sounds weird, but it is a punch in the kisser of flavors!

Chicken breasts stuffed with a mixture of spinach/garlic/feta and a little bit of something to bind it (mayo/plain yogurt/sour cream)
  • makalashow1
    Options
    Get a little olive oil in a pan, or skillet , when the oil is hot add fresh Spinach a pinch of salt , (kosher or flor de sal, sea salt,) and once the spinach is wilted , add just a splash a tiny one of fresh ginger juice,......enjoy !!
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Here are a few recipes I've tried that turned out delicious:

http://ifoodreal.com/turkey-spinach-quinoa-casserole/
    ^ Reeaaaaaallly filling, let me tell you.

http://www.skinnymom.com/2012/07/25/skinny-chicken-florentine/
    ^ Has that wonderful richness without going calorie-overboard.

http://www.manilaspoon.com/2012/08/spinach-quiche-cups.html
    ^ Quite good for breakfast.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I use it raw as a base for salad then shove allsorts on top, my most recent is pomegranite seeds, spring onions, tomato, prawns and some sweet chilli sauce, yum! If fact I haven't even starting cooking with it yet, I just love it raw :smile: Icelands has just started doing 300g bags for £1 so it's very affordable, and I prefer the spinach to regular salad as the leaves are more robust so it's a more substantial meal (it's my go-to work lunch) whilst still being low cal.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Spinach is pretty versatile.

I put it raw in salads.

I mix it with cream cheese and stuff it into chicken breasts

You can also put it in pasta - spinach and ricotta go great together with pasta

And I also like it in an omelette (or scrambled egg) - spinach, onion and mushroom with a little bit of cheese is lovely
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sautéed with a little garlic and olive oil. Add this to grilled chicken breast in a wrap. I also use a little plain non-fat Greek yogurt that I have added some greek seasonings to.
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Line a dish with filo pastry. Roast some butternut squash. Wilt your spinach. mash the squash with the spinach with a few added chillie flakes. put in the dish lined with the filo pastry, once cooked an optional extra is to add a few pomegranate seeds, looks and tastes yum!!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am probably the most picky eater I know and hate most condiments.

My favorite spinach recipe involves washing it, and putting it on a plate raw. I prefer my broccoli the same way
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Curry!!! or veg enchiladas, quiche, soup........... experiment but curry is my fav n homemade means its healthy as well as tasty :smile: