couch to 5k questions

Options
I was doing this last year when I found out I was pregnant and stopped about halfway through. But I loved it! I had never run before and was doing great on it.

Since I'm pretty much starting from scratch again at this point...when you feel you aren't ready to move on do you do another week of the same? Or do you push through and move up to the next week? I remember feeling that the next level was too much at certain times. But I don't want to push myself to hard and then give up.

Also, I will be doing this on a treadmill. Previously I did it outside so I'm not sure how fast I was going. Any guidelines on the treadmill speeds for walking/running?

Thanks

Replies

• pattyg02
    pattyg02 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the couch to 5k as well but I realized that some weeks I just weren't ready to move on. I would say if it becomes to hard to move on then just do the week over. If you push yourself to hard then two things might happen you will A. get frustrated and quit. or B. you might get injured. Definitly keep with the program and goodluck
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k on a treadmill until I got injured (unrelated to the treadmill or 5k training). There were definitely weeks when I wasn't ready to move on. I would just add an extra day or two of the same thing or sometimes I would do the full week a second time! Definitely a great program :)
  • oharab
    oharab Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm just restarting this too (I can't blame pregnancy, just laziness!!)
    When I've done it in the past, I've always taken the view that I should only move onto the next week, when I've done all 3 sessions as recommended, ie I run every walk phase. Only when I've successfully completed a week, do I move on to the next.

As for the treadmill, I should forget about doing at a certain speed, as when you're on the road, do it at a pace you find comfortable. I think that when I get to the end of the course, I'll be looking at repeating it, but with faster speeds, hopefully to build some speed up, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there!!!

Good luck.

Ben
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm on my first C25K program, starting week 8 tonight...and i do understand. For me i felt like i was finally ready to run week 1 when i was finishing up week 2 and then ready for week 2 after week 3. There were some weeks i thought i would never make it or didn't think it was even possible that this program works...until around week 5 or 6 and something kicked in. I kept with it and will run my first 5K in early December.
    I think a big key is motivation and having clear goals. Maybe you need to find a race, put it on you calendar and work toward that. God bless on your training!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Push on, if you're not injured. It wasn't until week 4 or 5 when I really felt that I would be able to finish a non-stop 20-30 min. run. Good luck!
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    Thanks. I will definitely push myself to do my best. I want to finish this time! My husband and I are going to sign up for a 5k in a few months :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I repeated the week if I could not complete it. It took me 3 weeks of Week 7 but once I had a breakthrough it was really amazing.
    I did outside and treadmill. I do not run very fast. I set the treadmill around 5.5 but usually back down to 5.2 by the end.
    the idea is to get to where you run 6.0 because then you would run about 5k in 30 minutes of running.
    I moved on to Gateway to 8k and I still do not run that fast. I just like having a program!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    oh, and if you haven't already, I really recommend the chi of Running, search on you tube and watch the videos, with the proper form you should be able to run without pain, it really helped me and I can't recommend it enough.
  • alli1570
    Options
    Im just starting. I've never been a runner ever...at all...even as a kid!! :) Im starting a second week of week 1 because Im a little nervous moving on to week 2. I just feel the need to be a little more comfortable before I move onto the next week. I figure this is how I'll do every phase. All I care about is seeing progress.

Good luck!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It took me several weeks to complete C25K. I think it took me 2-3 weeks each for weeks 1-3! Then I took a few weeks off as my knee was bothering me....got back at it & completed it over a month ago! I did my first 5K on 10-30-10 & finished in 37min/32sec! I've learned to love my running (never ever did I think I would say that!) So take your time & do it at your pace. I did it completely outside so have no idea what pace I was at. My current pace is 12 min mile.