Eating after running / working out

Options
I have recently started running and always run at night. Is it important to eat after a run - I usually run 3-5K? I never do since I am not hungry, have already had dinner and will soon go to bed. The other day I went for a run with a more experienced runner / exerciser and she brought a snack and insisted we eat (sugary chocolate granola bar and chocolate milk). She said you should eat after a workout - I'm sure not crap like that though. My main goal is weightloss, stress reduction and just being physical.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, chocolate milk is widely recommended by runners and other fitness fans - it has the right balance of protein and carbs that your muscles need.

I sometimes have it after a run, but more usually after a weight/ strength session.

BUT

It's not essential. Certainly not for something like a 3-5 k run.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I agree with melaniecheeks--really not essential for runs that short. But if you do feel hungry afterwards, a Greek yogurt is a good option. It will give you a nice protein boost and only set you back 100-200 calories depending on type.
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have recently started running and always run at night. Is it important to eat after a run - I usually run 3-5K? I never do since I am not hungry, have already had dinner and will soon go to bed. The other day I went for a run with a more experienced runner / exerciser and she brought a snack and insisted we eat (sugary chocolate granola bar and chocolate milk). She said you should eat after a workout - I'm sure not crap like that though. My main goal is weightloss, stress reduction and just being physical.

Nope not necessary, especially given your goals and your workouts. If, over time, you find that your workouts the next day aren't up to par, then have a little something to eat before bed.

BTW... "crap like that" is actually very good for certain people/circumstances.
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    OK, I take away the "crap like that". I guess with my weight loss goals I have removed processed, sugary foods from my diet so to eat a chocolate bar after exercising just seems shocking ....BUT for people who are working out more or not trying to lose I'm sure it is no big deal.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is a great for recovery because it has a good combination of carbs and protein to replenish that which you have burned during your run. You should have something after your run, even something small to replenish your tank. There is a wealth of information about how to fuel after a run. Try Runner's World to start. You will be surprised at what they recommend.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sometimes i do... sometimes i don't.

sometimes i'll make a protein smoothie with some fruit and almond milk, and i'll drink that cuz it's refreshing.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My workouts & runs are usually timed where it is time for my next meal shortly after so I'm eating within 30 minutes of finishing. For me, I don't really worry about other types of snacks/recovery foods.