Working out is so hard...

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
... for those made of lesser stuff. We are a stronger breed and push beyond our limits.

I just picked up a 4in weight belt. I've never really used one before. I adjusted it to be a bit more than snug, it was pinching a bit. So I spent a long time on my dead lifts. I ended with a rep out set. 10 lbs from my 1 rep max.

I got 3 reps done. At the top I left myself having a vomity taste in my mouth and not wanting to expel. I stopped. I felt like I could have gotten a semi-sloppy 4th rep but I'm pretty sure I would have tossed my cookies.

does+_79b8fb10fab13464578ff020e9af8b85.jpg

Here is the other twist. I just switched my protein powder that day to BSN Syntha-6 Protein Powder. Which I have to say the chocolate milkshake flavor. Its a bit thicker than my optimum nutrition, but it tastes awesome!!!

What would you do?

1) Stop when you feel like your form is going to get sloppy and you will vomit

2) Push though it, its weakness leaving you

3) Loosen up that belt.

4) Take your pre-workout a bit earlier.

Replies

• NeonHeartz444
    Options
    I would do 2. :)
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    all of the above.
  • gphclue
    gphclue Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would get rid of the belt. I think they are more of a cruch then anything else. then i would have just pushed through with a sloppy rep. I think one sloppy rep is just like getting a spot on a bench press. Another thing you could have done is dropped the weight take a 30 second rest then try the lift again.

Happy lifting
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would stop when my form gets sloppy. That's how you get injured.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Depends how sloppy and how long you have been training. Many new people won't understand the difference between a cheat rep and a real rep.
  • leemchisholm
    leemchisholm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Weightlifter-projectile-vomiting.gif

That's exactly why you'd never catch me doing that stuff.

Next thing, your arms fall off.

I'll stick with cardio, thankyouverymuch.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I would get rid of the belt. I think they are more of a cruch then anything else. then i would have just pushed through with a sloppy rep. I think one sloppy rep is just like getting a spot on a bench press. Another thing you could have done is dropped the weight take a 30 second rest then try the lift again.

Happy lifting

Agree with getting rid of the belt. Unless you're competing and there's a prize for most weight lifted, it seems kind of pointless to add an apparatus like that. After all, you were 10lbs short of your max 1 rep sans belt, but it's not like you suddenly got that much stronger. Chances are that you were just as far from your 1RM with the belt as you were before without it.

But no, I would not push through a sloppy rep, personally. I'm not a follower of the working the body until it literally rebels camp. That's how you end up injured.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I would
    1. Nix the belt. Unless you already have a injury or competing at a level that maybe 1% can do then why have it? It's only a crutch to cover bad form until its too late and you hurt yourself.
    2. Not take whey protein until after I'm done with my workout. Why take it right before? If you are pushing yourself then your digestion process is put on hold. There is no huge rush to get protein in there. Digestion doesn't happen that quickly so by that logic you should be taking it HOURS ahead of time.
    3. Stop when your form gets sloppy. Locking out a really high weight is awesome. What is even more awesome is not having an impacted back that puts you out of the game for months.

Meh, I guess we all have our own broscience at the end of the day so just my 2 cents.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    I'd pick choice #1, because I don't think trying to prove how "hardcore" I am is a good reason for using crappy form. Also, I don't like belts.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depending on the lift, either 1 or 2. If it's a lift where injury is a concern (deads and OHP for me), then I'd stop when form got overly sloppy. If injury wasn't a concern, I'd push through it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    1) for sure, I hate vomiting.

Can't say for sure what made you feel that way, make sure not to wear the belt too high, maybe it was pressing on your stomach? I have tightened mine to the point where I can barely breathe and it does not bother my stomach (even after eating a big dinner just prior). I wear mine right around my bellybutton though.

Off topic, what's up with all the votes for not wearing a belt? Wearing a belt during progression/max/new weight sets can be crucial for safety. Especially on deadlifts. That's like telling someone not to wear a seatbelt. Insane advice. Always wear a belt when maxing out, at least once your weights get up to a reasonably heavy level.
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    Off topic, what's up with all the votes for not wearing a belt? Wearing a belt during progression/max/new weight sets can be crucial for safety. Especially on deadlifts. That's like telling someone not to wear a seatbelt. Insane advice. Always wear a belt when maxing out, at least once your weights get up to a reasonably heavy level.

Because I trust a Dr and professor of spine biomechanics over a gymbro any day when it comes to my back health. Just my personal reason.

Here is his website: http://www.backfitpro.com/

Here one of his papers talking about it: http://www.backfitpro.com/pdf/weight_belts.pdf

Here is the TL:DR version for us ADD folks: http://stronglifts.com/weight-lifting-belts-to-wear-or-not-to-wear/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Belts are not crutches and are not used to cover up sloppy form, assuming used appropriately. Form is still paramount when using a belt. I do not think people really understand why they are used. While I agree that it can be exacerbated by a belt, sloppy form is bad/dangerous, whether using a belt of not. You should not be using one all the time however as lifting without one allows for more strengthening of your core.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Because I trust a Dr and professor of spine biomechanics over a gymbro any day when it comes to my back health. Just my personal reason.

Here is his website: http://www.backfitpro.com/

Here one of his papers talking about it: http://www.backfitpro.com/pdf/weight_belts.pdf

Here is the TL:DR version for us ADD folks: http://stronglifts.com/weight-lifting-belts-to-wear-or-not-to-wear/

I like that your link for the summary is from SL. Yet in his videos, Mehdi is always wearing a belt on his maximal work. So I'm guessing he didn't see much value in that article either.

There's a billion sites listing the pros and cons of wearing belts:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/do_you_really_need_a_lifting_belt
    http://greatist.com/fitness/should-i-wear-weightlifting-belt
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lessons-in-weight-belts-how-and-why-to-use-them.html
    http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/weightlifting-belts-should-you-use-one-pro-and-con
    http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/benefits-and-proper-use-of-weightlifting-belts/

The long and short of it is, if you watch any powerlifting competition, strongman competition, olympic lifts, etc you will see 99.9% of participants using a belt. If you see any truly strong person in the gym they will be wearing a belt on their maximal sets. Basically, nobody pushes maximum weight without a belt unless they are insane. Yes, wearing a belt all the time is not recommended but it's not what I recommended either.

You're welcome to do whatever you want, but suggesting potentially dangerous techniques is not welcome. For example, some people practice rounded back deadlifts, and some are even quite (amazingly) successful at it (KK). That doesn't mean that it's a bright suggestion for just about everyone out there.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Alex, I'll take what's behind door number 3.
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    You asked whats up with all the votes for not wearing a belt....so I answered with an article written by a spinal biomechanics expert reviewing real scientific studies.
    I like that your link for the summary is from SL. Yet in his videos, Mehdi is always wearing a belt on his maximal work. So I'm guessing he didn't see much value in that article either.

-The article on SL links to quick overview of the conclusions. If Mehdi is hypocritical than that is Mehdi's problem. He is not the one who wrote the article nor has any bearing on the article other than providing a quick summary. Further, who is to say that Mehdi hasn't experienced a back injury prior and would benefit from a weight belt (also outlined in the full paper). It is also addressed that you can lift slightly more weight with a belt (in reference to Mehdi is always wearing a belt on his maximal work)
    -You are correct. There are hundreds of opinion articles out there on the pros and cons of a weight belt.
    The long and short of it is, if you watch any powerlifting competition, strongman competition, olympic lifts, etc you will see 99.9% of participants using a belt. If you see any truly strong person in the gym they will be wearing a belt on their maximal sets. Basically, nobody pushes maximum weight without a belt unless they are insane. Yes, wearing a belt all the time is not recommended but it's not what I recommended either.

This is true. This is also addressed in the article.
    You're welcome to do whatever you want, but suggesting potentially dangerous techniques is not welcome. For example, some people practice rounded back deadlifts, and some are even quite (amazingly) successful at it (KK). That doesn't mean that it's a bright suggestion for just about everyone out there.

You say it is potentially dangerous technique. A Dr and spinal biomechanics expert disagrees citing actual studies. I don't think it would be a bright suggestion to take the word of an anonymous MFP poster backed up by opinion over his study.

So yeah, I guess I will continue to do whatever I want. That includes just answering the question you asked. It might be good to read the full paper and not the tl:dr version to see if he addresses your concerns. You seem knowledgeable so might be worth a read for you.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I would bail if I felt sick or form started to suffer.

If the belt or the preworkout were making me sick I would change something or eliminate the problem.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Alex, I'll take what's behind door number 3.

^ this just won the thread