Healthy Halloween Treats

Options
I found this great Halloween treat that is great to send to school for Halloween parties. With all the candy and sweets I thought it would be great to share a healthy snack that kids will love. They are jack-o-lanterns carved out of oranges and filled with fruit. I have a picture if anyone wants to see what they look like.

Orange-O-Lanterns

Ingredients
• Navel orange
• Canned or fresh fruit salad
Instructions
1. To make one lantern, use a small knife to slice the top off a navel orange and cut around its interior to hollow it out. Scoop out the orange segments, chop them, and mix them with canned or fresh fruit salad.
2. Carve small facial features in one side of the orange, and then cut a slit in the lid to accommodate the handle of a green plastic spoon. Fill the lantern with fruit salad. Insert the spoon and set the lid in place.

Another great idea is Ghost Toast.

Ingredients
• Wheat Bread (1 slice per ghost)
• Whipped cream cheese
• Currants (or you can use raisins)
Instructions
1. For each, toast a slice of bread and then cut a ghost shape from it. You can do this freehand using a knife, or you can use a gingerbread-girl cookie cutter.
2. When the cutouts have cooled, spread on a generous coating of whipped cream cheese.
For eyes and mouths, add currants (or raisins).

Replies

• indigloworm
    Options
    They sound both delicious and healthy. Thanks for posting them. I am starting to think about the holiday season and all the food and treats that they entail. It's gonna be tough, but with these and other healthy and tasty treats hopefully I can master the holiday season! Thanks!!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    So cute! Thanks for sharing!! :)
  • sutehi
    sutehi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I especially love the Orange-O-Lantern idea! Thanks for sharing these =D
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Mr. Dressup used to make those Orange-O-Lantern things on his Halloween special when I was a kid! Thanks for the reminder!