Ugh it's always something :(

Options
I hope this is the right place to post, but I am feeling really down lately. About a year and half ago I stress fractured my right foot. This is also about 2 months into my weight loss journey. I took some time off, focused on upperbody. Well I have had some pain in my foot ever since then, mostly when I wear tennis shoes after walking. Changed shoes, got fitted and everything. Well my husband told me to go to the doctor, I did and sure enough due to the fact I messed my foot up looks like I will need surgery to completely fix it. Well I got back to being more healthy last week then yesterday I was trail riding my horse and another horse kicked at mine. Missed my horse and kicked my ankle. Now I feel like there is no point anymore. I take a step forward, 2 steps back. I am in a world of pain with my ankle it is swollen and black and blue (it does look and feel better then it had last night). I guess the upside is 3 hours of trail riding my body feels like I ran a marathon. The scale hasn't moved in a long time. My husband keeps telling me I am gaining muscle, but I just don't know. Somebody please either kick me in the butt or something. I also need more friends on here so please feel free to ask to be my friend

Replies

• wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh Boy............I have had those times where I feel the black cloud has permanently parked over my head.
    If you look around this great site for a while, you will find other people who have over come issues that seemed impossible. Hang in there. You have found a great place with great people.
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the most positive way. I know that online postings have the lack of emotions.

You were kicked but your horse wasn't. What if your horse fell....on you. Much worse. Yes, it is a setback, but it could be so much worse.

I think you have a wonderful husband. He is helping you to focus on the positive. Lucky you.

I know it's hard to try to get back on track without exercise, but you can do it. I know you can. When things get you down force yourself to see the positive. I think your husband would love to support you and help. The hardest part is for you to believe it. That is the paradigm shift. It might not be easy, but aren't you worth it?!?!

Feel free to add me as a friend. I know you can do this. Good luck!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Horses involve more chances of injury than other things, so it shouldn't be completely unexpected. Hopefully you love riding them, though, right? :) You can't just give up on health because you got a bum ankle right now that will probably heal wonderfully.

Is it the same foot as you need surgery for? Go on and schedule the surgery for soon, then, and tie the downtime together, lol.

You can figure something out if you are creative and motivated, even if it doesn't feel like that right now. The pool at your local Y is probably the easiest course of action. I met all kinds of women at our Y pool who were there after car crashes, etc. I was there for physical therapy for my own problems. Now I can do all sorts of things that I like, and I can't do all sorts of things that I also like, and it all works out.

Maybe see a physical therapist for your current problems so you can get ideas on what you can do. Try to meet the other clients, too. Believe me, you aren't alone in having to work around things that are difficult. Talk to others who have to work around things and be ready to try out a lot of different ideas :) Good luck!
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    We all have those days. You are not alone. I feel that exact same way. It seems like it is always something. My iron is low and my anemia gets really bad again. I get vertigo, nausea, cold, weak, tired. I have heart problems and scar tissue from three C-sections. My car broke and my husband works a full time job and goes to school. I currently have a wisdom tooth that is growing down into the nerves in my jaw. I have no insurance at the time, because I am a stay at home mom and my husband started a new yet better job and we have to wait 90 days to get insurance. The pain meds I was prescribed I am allergic to and I itch from head to toe. Really from my scalp all the way to the bottom of my feet. I just found out from the oral surgeon that to perform what I need done may run me around $3000. Now if I had done this say a couple months ago that would be fine, but I spent my money and now I can wait a few months until we get insurance or wait and save up money. Oh and Christmas is coming up with 3 kids so I don't think I will be getting surgery anytime soon. I know this sounds like a rant, but with all this said. The pain and stress from all of it, this never ending series of bad events I try not to let it get in the way and neither should you. Do not give up. The other day after I took pain meds I could not sit at home another day without working out. I had already missed a day and eased off of the one, but my new goal was to ride for 20 miles. So with my mind "saying lets do this and my body and muscles saying uh what are you doing your crazy lets lay down for a while". I filled up my water bottle, put the bike in the truck and headed to the trail. I started off slow and easy, cuz I still had pain killers in my system, but I completed my goal ending in 21 miles instead of 20. Fight back, your biggest enemy is yourself. Now I can go on and on about all the horrible things that I have been through in my life and trust me its a long list of abuse and pain, but I do not let them define who I am or what I do. Other than using it to make myself a better, stronger person. I sent you a friends request and hopefully I didn't irk you with what I wrote, but instead I hope it kicked you in the *kitten* like you said and can motivate you to keep going.
  • kdavis82508
    kdavis82508 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! To answer some questions I did not hurt the same foot . I am feeling better. The swelling has gone down. I go back to work tonight (I work overnight at Wal-Mart) so we will see how I feel after that. I do enjoy riding horses. And yes I know they are very dangerous. I have a nice long list of injuries they have given me, such as broken eye socket and numerous concussions.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    as a fellow runner AND horse owner I can sympathize with what is happening... hang in there it is JUST a short time period of injury.. you WILL get better and you WILL start training...take the chance to focus on other types of exercise to help with calorie burn but does not include impact... hang in there we will all be rooting for you!!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! To answer some questions I did not hurt the same foot . I am feeling better. The swelling has gone down. I go back to work tonight (I work overnight at Wal-Mart) so we will see how I feel after that. I do enjoy riding horses. And yes I know they are very dangerous. I have a nice long list of injuries they have given me, such as broken eye socket and numerous concussions.

Ouch!!! I figured :) My neighbors have always had horses, so I'm familiar with the war stories. My grandmother would hardly let us even pet them because she was scared we'd get hurt, so I didn't get to ride! Horses everywhere and no riding :(

I hope you get to sit a lot at work! Try to ice it for the swelling, and of course get it X-rayed if it's not improving like it should.

About frequent injuries, my brother used to be rude to me about how often I had physical problems. I have some physical issues that took a while to be diagnosed, so there was a long stretch of time where I had no 'excuse' for a wrapped ankle or whatever (and who cares if I'm wearing joint support or using an ice pack? Geez!). Well, his career became snowboarding in the winter and white water in the summer (instructor). Now he's had his own share of downtime due to injury and knows what it can be like!
  • aaliyahsmummy
    Options
    "If you tripped and fell on your way to work, would you turn around, go home and never return? OF COURSE NOT!!
    By that logic, one bad day shouldn't ruin your fitness goals either! Keep going!"
    That quote was my inspiration to never give up on myself even when it felt I was struggling to keep my head above water!
    I have a bad leg so I focus more on swimming, ab crunches, squats etc. I've accepted that I will never run or play squash again.
    Don't give up, just be the best you can be!
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're giving yourself a good healthy kick in the butt. Stay strong :flowerforyou: