fat shaming

Options
Im fat shaming myself. I have allowed myself to get completely out of control with my eating. I am now 216 lbs. I feel so nasty and disgusting and depressed Ive allowed myself to get this way. I have been doing lots of unnecessary snacking and eating pizza and haamburgers etc like. Rabid savage. Today is my day. Im going to get it together and lose these pounds. Most of my weight is centralized in my mid section and I can tell Ive gained in my legs etc. I just had to get that out there.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Now it is time to build yourself back up. You are a good person and deserve to be healthy and fit. You can remodel yourself into the strong confident person, you know you are. This transformation is entirely in your control and you can do it. It won't be easy or fast but it all starts today. Congratulations on starting. It is usually the hardest part. :heart:
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same boat, Jana. I've eaten myself from 110 pounds to 165 in less than 2 years, and it;'s ALL around my belly. I frankly disgust myself. 13 more inches around my waist. ANd I still keep eating donuts......I need help....but you can feel free to add me!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    About two years ago I felt the same way you did. I beat myself up, cried it out and then started to accept the FACT that I would always be fat. =(

Until...I went to the doctors. I went to the doctors and my life changed when she told me I had PCOS and Insulin Resistance. After consulting with my doctor over a 16 month period, I managed to lose 101 pounds.

NEVER give up on yourself, you have too much at stake! I would recommend going and seeing a doctor to see if it's a medical condition that has caused you to gain weight OR if you've developed a medical condition because of your weight. If you have insulin resistance or PCOS, there are specific things you must do to lose the weight.

Best of luck to you. =)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you have taken the first step which is responsibility. Now, move forward and get out of the pity party mode. Get moving and work your butt off. I am living proof that a healthy life is a better life
  • Female_On_Fire
    Female_On_Fire Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Be careful of letting your self loathing cause you to emotional eat. Do something nice for yourself and find the positive. You can get out of this funk.
  • FitFabStar
    FitFabStar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you recognize your current lifestyle is not healthy. Don't fret, mine isn't either. But one day at a time can lead to a life full of changes! you can do it and good luck to you on your journey!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    No reason to shame...You are not shaming yourself...You owning your actions and how you got the way you did...You are accepting responsibility and acknowledging you are not content in your current state and want to take the neccessary steps.

Congratulations, you just did step 1. All the information needed for your success is here...and its free!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    About two years ago I felt the same way you did. I beat myself up, cried it out and then started to accept the FACT that I would always be fat. =(

Until...I went to the doctors. I went to the doctors and my life changed when she told me I had PCOS and Insulin Resistance. After consulting with my doctor over a 16 month period, I managed to lose 101 pounds.

NEVER give up on yourself, you have too much at stake! I would recommend going and seeing a doctor to see if it's a medical condition that has caused you to gain weight OR if you've developed a medical condition because of your weight. If you have insulin resistance or PCOS, there are specific things you must do to lose the weight.

Best of luck to you. =)

Out of curiosity, what is it that helped you lose the weight? Was it the medication that he/she was able to prescribe to you to treat your PCOS, or was it a diet change (or combination of both)?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    fat shaming yourself is not going to do you any good. instead of feeling so horrible and guilty, put a positive spin on things. you're not ashamed, you're accepting responsibility. it wasn't until I accepted that I was fat without being ashamed of my mistakes that I was able to turn it around. you're turning over a new leaf, congratulations! that's a wonderful thing. good luck and please don't be so hard on yourself.
  • docdick9120
    docdick9120 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Amen, I'm right there with you and just keep eating like I'm starving. Then I feel terrible. Crap, why can't I get it together? Blood sugar was 312 this morning!!!!!
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I understand how you can feel upset. Imagine this.

Walk up to a stranger on the street, and tell them they're a fat, lazy pig.

Could you do it? I certainly hope not, it would be MEAN and NASTY. So why would you say it to yourself? Are you not worthy of the same treatment you would give a complete stranger? I'm here to tell you, you are worthy. Of all the love and kindness you would show someone else.

Decide that now is the time to make a change, and DO IT!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Be careful of letting your self loathing cause you to emotional eat. Do something nice for yourself and find the positive. You can get out of this funk.

^^^ I agree!! Be careful that you dont continually beat yourself up..you CAN DO IT..!! I feel the same way..and usually it a vicious cycle...But I have Hashomots's and insulin resistence so I CANT have bad days..I and you HAVE to pick ourselves up even though its very hard..I stuggle with depression and Im sure you have or still do..Im here if you want to add me!
  • CindaWhite
    CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OP and doc****9120, You CAN get it together. And you have so many resources and friends here who can help. You have made the choice to change and that is the first and a very BIG step. Don't hate who you are/were Congratulate the person who decided to get better. Find any positive ion your life and embrace it. If nothing else you made a new friend today on MFP! GO with that. We're here for you!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    fat shaming yourself is not going to do you any good. instead of feeling so horrible and guilty, put a positive spin on things. you're not ashamed, you're accepting responsibility. it wasn't until I accepted that I was fat without being ashamed of my mistakes that I was able to turn it around. you're turning over a new leaf, congratulations! that's a wonderful thing. good luck and please don't be so hard on yourself.

QFT!!!

Beating yourself up can be a vicious cycle. I did that for a couple years thinking it would help, I only got bigger. When I finally decided to accept myself at that weight and then started eating better and working out, I also started losing weight.

Good luck. You can do eeet!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Im fat shaming myself. I have allowed myself to get completely out of control with my eating. I am now 216 lbs. I feel so nasty and disgusting and depressed Ive allowed myself to get this way. I have been doing lots of unnecessary snacking and eating pizza and haamburgers etc like. Rabid savage. Today is my day. Im going to get it together and lose these pounds. Most of my weight is centralized in my mid section and I can tell Ive gained in my legs etc. I just had to get that out there.

raw
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Please stop beating yourself up. It only leads to more feelings of helplessness, to the feeling that you can't change yourself and there's no point trying. It leads to feeling bad which leads to eating, the only way you know to cheer yourself up. It actively prevents you from getting out and exercising because you feel ashamed of people seeing you.

Self-hatred makes you fat.

I honestly think that. I don't think that people get big because they don't hate themselves enough. I don't think that healthy-weight people and gym bunnies are the way they are because they hate themselves more than we big people do. I think it's the exact opposite.

When you feel strong, it's easy to exercise and even feels great. When you feel in control it's easy to say "no thanks" to the cookie or the cake. When you feel beautiful you don't need to comfort-eat.

I know you don't feel strong or in control or beautiful right now. But can you imagine what that feels like? Can you fake it til you make it?
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I would say stop beating yourself up, but I know how hard it can be to just turn that switch off. You have come to terms with the fact that you need to lose the weight, so good for you for taking that first step! There are going to be days when you start to feel really good about yourself and you will start seeing your confidence build. Then there will be days where you stumble and you want to beat up on yourself again. There are many people who go through all of that, but what counts is that you don't kick yourself so hard that you can't get back up and start again the next day. Here's to a new you :drinker:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It's hard to come to the realization that you haven't been taking care of yourself. I was there in January, and it was hard to sit with those feelings. But part of taking care of yourself is treating yourself with kindness and making sure you are mentally well. Taking responsibility for your life is a very positive thing, and if you do it with positivity, it will make everything that much easier. Develop a good relationship with yourself, work toward building healthy habits, and you will get there. :smile:
  • mynewlife10
    Options

I am impressed with you. Great post and owning your own destiny. Add me - support is key. Be happy for yourself that you are taking this step. It sucks, but it sucks even worse to do nothing about it. Don't disappear on us :)
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Starting weight was 226 lbs. What made the difference with me? When I began to OWN the weight. I earned every one of those 226 lbs. Then I began to OWN the rest of my life & health - told myself to suck it up, ditch the pity party & get to work. I stopped accepting excuses from myself. You can do it too!!! Good luck & get busy getting healthy!