Backpacking

Options
I'm taking a backpacking class this term, and we need to make a full food plan as an assignment and I'm having trouble beefing it up. I have basics, but I'm only hitting about 1600-1800 calories, which would be good for a normal day, not so much for two days of hiking with a pack. So, folks with backpacking experience, what do you like to take?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    beef or turkey jerky, Larabars
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    So, what have you already got on your list for the day?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Multi-tool, cordage, game face.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Water
    Apples
    Bananas
    Beef jerkey
    Protein bars
    Pumpkin muffins
    Dried fruit
    PB&J sandwiches
    Tuna pouches
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've never done anything longer than a full day (20ish kms with 1000 meter elevation is standard) backpacking trip. I don't think I do normal backpacking foods lol...I make quinoa salads, homemade trail mixes, coffee in a thermos, berries with greek yogurt...that kind of thing...I'm lucky though, we're in in the mountains...and at the end of the summit we hit up a little town and gorge on steak and wine. I don't think the restaurants appreciate our bug spray infused, sun burnt, sweaty group...but hey :) They adapt.

I'm so impressed that they have courses for backpacking...I want to take one of those! Is it through a school (university) or through your local sporting coop?
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    kendal mint cake for emergency calories
    Also homemade flapjack
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    beef or turkey jerky, Larabars

This sounds good. Anything with protein to give you fuel (and you won't burn through it as quick as carbs)

How about home homemade trail mix? Lots of nuts, seeds, dried fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I used to backpack a lot...can't wait until my boys are a little older to hit the trail again.

1 - Trail mix...a tiny handful of trail mix (1oz) is like 150 calories +

2- Kraft mac 'n cheese...the kind in a box with the dried powder cheese. A typical evening meal for me after a long day on the trail would be some of this mac 'n cheese with some added summer sausage and olive oil. Clocks in around 1100 calories or so with 1 oz of olive oil and 2 oz summer sausage.

3 - Breakfast pastries...you can just eat them in your sleeping bag when you wake up, no prep necessary. A decent pastry can pack a wallop...500 - 600 calories on average.

4 - Peanut Butter packs a nice calorie punch to weight ratio. Good source of carbs, protein, and fat.

5 - Snickers...frack the energy bars and get yourself some snickers bars

6 - olive oil...I pretty much added it to everything except my drinking water.

7 - Lipton's pasta/rice sides (or anything similar). Ignore all of the other "added" ingredients...just water and eat the whole packet as a main course...add a little olive oil for an extra calorie punch

8 - Foil pack tuna...not calorie dense, but much needed protein on the trail.

9 - Instant mash potatoes...with olive oil

10 - Tortillas or wraps...regular bread sucks backpacking, but tortillas or wraps work perfectly

Also don't forget some Gatorade drink powders or similar....
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've got things like tuna, crackers, dark chocolate covered almonds, Pure bars (similar to Larabars), granola, pb&j, jerky, roasted coconut chips, apples. We're planning to do dinner in groups of about 4, and we're doing this rice and bean mix. I also need an emergency meal.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've never done anything longer than a full day (20ish kms with 1000 meter elevation is standard) backpacking trip. I don't think I do normal backpacking foods lol...I make quinoa salads, homemade trail mixes, coffee in a thermos, berries with greek yogurt...that kind of thing...I'm lucky though, we're in in the mountains...and at the end of the summit we hit up a little town and gorge on steak and wine. I don't think the restaurants appreciate our bug spray infused, sun burnt, sweaty group...but hey :) They adapt.

I'm so impressed that they have courses for backpacking...I want to take one of those! Is it through a school (university) or through your local sporting coop?

It's through my university, we have a program called the Adventure Leadership Institute, where you take certain classes to gain 1. Outdoorsy experience and 2. Leadership certifications that you can put on a resume. I'm a fisheries and wildlife major with limited outdoors experience, so it sounded like a good opportunity to me :happy:
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    There are great ideas on this post so far. The thing to remember when backpacking is weight. Freeze dried dinners, instant cereals/soups, dried fruit and I always take some cous cous because it cooks very quickly. I take a few fresh vegetables and fruit, but not a lot because they are heavy and bulky. Already mentioned are nutritional bars, jerky and trail mix. Dried salami, an avocado and pita bread is always on my list as well.