Whoever said weight loss isn't a contest is a liar.

Options
And has obviously never been the fat sister or the fat friend.

I mean, am I right or am I right? Hahahaha. :D

2 years into yo-yo dieting and not taking it seriously, I'm done messing around. Time to lose some weight people!

Replies

• tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I made it a contest. And the prize was happiness and good health. At the gym, I picked an opponent (unbeknownst to them), if they went faster, or harder I followed suit. One things for sure, I was never the first off the machine. In kickboxing class, I selected an opponent who I deemed the best, then I mentally challenged them. This has helped me stay focused and driven.

Now, I'm faster, more healthier, than most of the people in my immediate circle. That's huge, considering my sisters have never had a weight problem, and one is a former professional dancer and cheerleader.

Whatever it takes to keep you motivated and inspired, I'm all for it!
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I gave myself some good rewards... new bicycle, bike clothing, travel, etc ONLY if I made weight/exercise goals. I mean, we work like fools for other rewards (ribbons/certificates) why not make it something REAL that you want.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've been the fat friend, but I don't feel like it was a contest except with myself.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    It's totally a contest. Most of life is - isn't it? Who can get the furthest at something the quickest? Career, family, house, etc? Or maybe that's just because I'm ultra competitive and think everything is a contest.

But yes - you are competing - at least with yourself. And you win or lose.

And when people aren't the "fat friend' or "fat sibling" they can't understand lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Fitness and nutrition are life time endeavors, there is no finish line. The only contest is setting goals and then crushing the frackin' **** out of them and then setting new goals. It's not a contest between myself and anyone else...just crushin' it because that's the way I roll.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm in a never-ending contest with my husband and he has no idea. LOL

Early in our relationship, when he was super fit (active duty Army) and I was overweight and struggling, he had this smug attitude of, "If you really want to get fit, just do what I do." Well, skipping meals and running five miles a day (his method) didn't work for me and still doesn't. I would tell him that, and he said, "When you lose a significant amount of weight your way, then we can talk." His method is starting to not work for him now. He's getting older, can't run as much as he used to (two knee surgeries), and skipping meals only makes him overeat in the end. I want him to be healthy and I'm trying to encourage him to do other forms of exercise and not starve all day, but deep down I can't help but go "Ha, ha, I was right and you were wrong." :tongue:
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My contest is that I am still working at it. The day I stop I lose. Sounds cheesy but that's what i am here for. My wife is losing with me so I suppose we are team mates in that sense. My opponent, heart disease, diabetes, all the pleasures that come with being out of shape and overweight. Am I going to be Jack Lalaine? No. just a better version of me! :bigsmile:
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    All 3 of my sisters were thin, blonde, and pretty. They all take after my mom's mom. I, however, took after my dad's side of the family. Tall, broad, and brunette.

Have you ever seen the movie Cheaper By The Dozen? They always called me fed ex.

Now however, they are both overweight, not as bad as me, but no longer stick thin. So it's kind of entertaining to see my scale number go down each week while theirs is slowly going up. By Christmas I hope to be within their weight area.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have been the inspiration to 2 friends - one smaller & one bigger than me - which has never happened to me before !
  • cjohn2278
    cjohn2278 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I made it a contest. And the prize was happiness and good health. At the gym, I picked an opponent (unbeknownst to them), if they went faster, or harder I followed suit. One things for sure, I was never the first off the machine. In kickboxing class, I selected an opponent who I deemed the best, then I mentally challenged them. This has helped me stay focused and driven.

Now, I'm faster, more healthier, than most of the people in my immediate circle. That's huge, considering my sisters have never had a weight problem, and one is a former professional dancer and cheerleader.

Whatever it takes to keep you motivated and inspired, I'm all for it!

I do this all the time at the gym!! I read it in an article once and thought that is a great idea...and it really works!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I walk on the beach/boardwalk 3/4 times a week, and just lately I have started to notice all the people who run....and one night I just started to run. Didn't last for too long, but I DID it..and will do it again for longer. Not so much a competition, but more of a "if they can do it, so can I!"
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I made it a contest. .....
    In kickboxing class, I selected an opponent who I deemed the best, then I mentally challenged them. ...

Also guilty of these things. Always competing with someone. LOL!
    I'm so stinkin' competitive, and NOPE... it doesn't matter that those people don't know we're competing. :laugh:
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Definitely a contest. The other player is that little devil inside telling us to eat everything we want ;-) This time it's not gonna win though!
  • laurahamm96
    laurahamm96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im so glad I am not the only one who competes with fellow gym goers in my head, lol.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am ridiculously competitive. I don't compare weight loss, but I have to lift heavier, run faster or complete more reps than the other women. When I can't do something it frustrates me and makes me work harder.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    It was when my sister decided to tell me how fat I was while I was pregnant but now.. I get the same demoralizing crap, so the contest is now with myself to push me to what I want to be and not what everyone else believes I should be. My sister's most recent comment on a picture of me on FB was "STOP GETTING SKINNY" . Yes, in all caps. :/ To better for ma selfs!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting thought I've always been the fat friend. Not sure what the other role would look like
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm in a contest against my will, as my fiance refuses to be 'beaten by a girl' at the gym.
    You men are silly folk. :D
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    It's only a contest against yourself. You can never compare yourself to other people--because you AREN'T those other people. You never will be. The best you can ever do is be the best YOU that you can be. So is it a contest? Yes, but only with the person you were yesterday.

It's like what Einstein said:

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I walk on the beach/boardwalk 3/4 times a week, and just lately I have started to notice all the people who run....and one night I just started to run. Didn't last for too long, but I DID it..and will do it again for longer. Not so much a competition, but more of a "if they can do it, so can I!"

Yes, you totally can!!