Weight loss before trying to make babies!

Options
wpanderson
wpanderson Posts: 194
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I've always wanted to have a whole house full of children, realizing that I have about 100 lbs to lose before I should attempt getting pregnant is daunting but I AM ON A MISSION! Has anyone had success with a similar goal involving wanting to get pregnant? Please share your advice or story! If you've had an experience with pregnancy while being overweight as well I'd be interested in hearing how that went! Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds last year to get pregnant and it worked. Now I am working off the 60 pounds left over :) you can do it just stay focused.
  • craftygirl1975
    craftygirl1975 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs in order to get pregnant with my beautiful twin daughters. Even with this weight loss I was still overweight. I was 225lbs when I had my pregnancy confirmed with a blood test. The first thing I did was watch the sugar I ate and made sure that I restricted my coffee drinking to 1 cup a day. The pregnancy went fine and my daughters were born 7 weeks early but they were 4lbs 8oz and 4lbs 12oz at birth. They are 3 years old now and I now weigh less than when I got pregnant. I think that the closer to your "ideal" body weight you are when you get pregnant the better. Not only will this help with your getting pregnant but with your energy while you are pregnant. I wish you the best of luck for not only your weight loss but also in having as many babies as you want. :)
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was on a role losing weight before I got pregnant with ODS. But by 30#'s down, DH couldn't keep his hands off!. :love:
  • megdinga
    megdinga Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am here on that mission, too! We want to start trying next Summer or late Spring, and I would like to lose 70 by then. I just want to be as healthy as I can possibly be before venturing into such a strenuous physical challenge! I also really want to change my lifestyle and understanding/relationship with food and exercise so I am only passing healthy positives down to my children!

Friending you!
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My goal too! I'm hoping to get as close to possible to goal to start trying in April. So far, it's a slow process.

But it's totally worth it! I want a healthy pregnancy first and foremost!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I have about 40 pounds to lose total and have been trying to get pregnant since August. I am working to lose as much as I can before I do get pregnant to be in the best physical shape to begin with to make it easier both during pregnancy and after. I believe even 10 pounds is a great start.

I'm in pretty good physical shape and can do demanding workouts but want to be in a position where I am comfortable doing super high intensity now so during my pregnancy I can stay very active.

Good luck on making babies ladies :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yup it works! If you want to get pregnant lose weight.

6 months pregnant, oh and the experience being overweight it is more difficult. I think the thing that bothers me the most is I dont really have the cute belly bump. I have to press really hard to feel the baby move. I've developed hypertension and anemia. I have to watch my blood sugars. I've gained about 20lbs, so hoping to maintain.
  • kourtneyguinn
    Options
    Hello All, My goal is also to lose weight to help me get pregnant! My goal is to lose 80 pounds and I am already down 14 in a month! Thats awesome for me! I have struggled with my weight my entire life and failed at losing it TOO many times. BUT this time I have a great goal I am working for and thats having a baby!

I wish you all the BEST!!!
  • HiImJayme
    HiImJayme Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was about 100 lbs overweight when I got pregnant w/ my son in Jan 2012. Everything went well until about 31 weeks when my blood pressure spiked and I ended up in the hospital. After that adventure, I was put on bp medication and had to be induced early because, even with the medication, my pressure was a little unstable towards the end. The induction was not successful and, after some terrifying pressure drops during the induction, I had an emergency C-section. Through out the whole pregnancy, I gained only about 20 lbs ( 8 of that in the last week), so my gains weren't out of control.

Right now, my husband and I are thinking of trying for another baby in the next 3-6 months so, after that experience, I am trying to get some control over my health. I am about 10lbs less than I was prior to conceiving our first baby so I am confident that I am on the right track.

Good luck with your weightloss plan! You are definitely giving you and your future babies a huge gift by getting your health in check now!
  • wpanderson
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice, sharing & support ladies! :)
This discussion has been closed.