Polar FT4 Watch?

Options
I've considered buying the Polar FT4 watch, but can't find the answers to my questions anywhere!
First, can it be worn as a regular watch during the day?(If I don't have the chest strap on).
Second, I've read a lot that it is for workouts (treadmills, ellipticals, etc.). I don't have any gyms in my town or any home equipment. I usually walk(we live at the bottom of a hill) so I usually walk up and down it for about a hour, then I usually do one of my home DVD workouts! Would this work for me? Or should I look into something else? If something else, what would you recommend? (I can get the Polar for $60 on Amazon, so I'd like to stay around that price range).
Thanks!

Replies

• Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi Kayla

Yes you will be able to use it as a normal watch, the point of using a Heart Rate Monitor is when you do any activity that will raise your heart rate. So brisk walking, climbing stairs and doing exercise DVD's will raise your heart rate so using the Polar HRM will benefit you.

Andy
  • lma0423
    lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have one and I've never tried wearing it as a watch so I cant answer that part sorry! But how all the things you listed it would definitely help you! It can be used to track any cardio type workout. The calories it displays are supposed to be very accurate. I bought mine from drugstore.com while they were having a 20% off everything sale. They do these from time to time. They also have 20% off *specific department* sales every week, I would watch out for when they have it for the fitness dept. Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can wear it all the time to use as a watch.

And yes, it'll work just fine for your walks and DVD routines. What they mean when they say it's only for workouts is that some people think they can use it like a FitBit or BodyBugg to get their all day burn but it's not meant for that, only for cardio.
  • dayala01
    dayala01 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4 so I'm not an expert at it, but I do find it to be useful. I'm currently using it as a watch without the chest strap on. I'll usually use the chest strap strictly for working out. I'll do workout dvds at home or any kind of work outs I find of youtube and it works pretty well with that. I don't have a treadmill or other fancy gym equipment, for those kinds of answers you might want to wait for someone else to answer, but I haven't found any issues with mine (again, remember I just got mine not too long ago, so there might be discrepancies that I'm not aware of).
  • amcswain01
    amcswain01 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes. It can be used as a watch and would work out fine for what you do. It monitors heart rate so it works no matter what type of activity you are doing. I love mine!
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be worn as a watch and yes its perfect for exercising. It just doesn't track your all day burn like some other devices do that's all. I own one and I love it.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    As others have answered, yes it can be used as a normal watch the rest of the time without the chest strap, and yes I mostly use it with my workout DVD's, works great!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    Yes. I wear it as a watch all day everyday (without the strap). And since it's waterproof you can easily shower with it on to get rid of some of the daily crud. It'll work for any type of exercise you're doing. I've worn it walking, doing insanity, or at the gym on cardio machines. Plus it comes in pink! :)
  • David0081
    Options
    I wear mine as a watch when not exercising with the chest strap on. In the gym the chest sensor sends a signal to most modern equipment and the display will show your heart rate. I'm on my second, after wearing out my first one over several years
  • kaylabartram
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't expect so many answers so quick(:
    I'm going to order it this evening when I get home! (And I will get the pink one). I'm so excited!
  • Healthy_Hunnie
    Healthy_Hunnie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the pink polar watch and i absolutely LOVE it. It is a game changer when it comes to monitoring your intake/cals burned.

I use it each morning when I do insanity. It is super easy to set up, times your work out, gives you time of the day, tells you how many cals you burned, tells you where your heart rate is, tells you to work harder or take a break depending on your heart rate.

I seriously cannot express how much I have truly enjoyed having the Polar HRM and strap while working out. I LOVE IT.

You will not be disappointed with it.

The only thing I have to say about using it as a regular watch is keep in mind how bright it is. Im not sure what you do for a living but I think I would get some strange looks at the bank I work for. Banks and their conservative ways..sheesh. haha.
  • Healthy_Hunnie
    Healthy_Hunnie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes. I wear it as a watch all day everyday (without the strap). And since it's waterproof you can easily shower with it on to get rid of some of the daily crud. It'll work for any type of exercise you're doing. I've worn it walking, doing insanity, or at the gym on cardio machines. Plus it comes in pink! :)

NEW FACT - I had no idea it was water proof. That is awesome. Thanks for sharing :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

Not too be nitpicky but it's actually water resistant, not waterproof. Safe for showering but if you're planning on using it in a pool or something like that, make sure to check the user guide. If you don't have yours, it's easily found on the Polar website.
  • gogozinn
    gogozinn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just opened up my FT4 today, and tried it out with one minute's worth of running. As everyone answered all the questions you will come to love it if/when you order it. I got my really good priced (plus cheaper than the sale price) on drugstore.com. I like it, however, I want to know how ppl typically enter the results on MFP? Just with the calories? Also, how effective do users find the polarpersonaltrainer website? It's a little confusing for me, I really wish there was an app for this, or that MFP and Polar could connect. That's about all I want to know, and I can't wait to use it on my walks, at the gym, and in water aerobics!