Running

Options
Hi everyone! I want to start running but never really have before...any suggestions?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a good walking base first. Go out and walk a mile or two 2-3 times a week. Work up to walking 3 miles easily at a brisk pace. Then move into something like C25K.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a good walking base first. Go out and walk a mile or two 2-3 times a week. Work up to walking 3 miles easily at a brisk pace. Then move into something like C25K.

^^Perfect advice.
  • jaysull21
    Options

^^Perfect advice.
    +1
    Gotta walk before you can run, makes sense to me :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup! ^^^

C25K = Couch to 5k. You can google for more info or look for apps on your phone/tablet
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just started running myself, and I agree with the original suggestion. Depending on your fitness level, cto5k, just starting out, goes a little too fast in my opinion. It's good to have that base that was mentioned.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yup! ^^^

C25K = Couch to 5k. You can google for more info or look for apps on your phone/tablet

this is how I got started running! It's a great app that takes you step by step.
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yep, C25K is the way to go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Just belaboring the point...

I started out just walking and getting in some distance 3-5 times per week...just get used to moving that much. Slowly but surely I introduced some running...it was small baby steps, like I'd be walking and then say, "I'm going to run from here to that stop sign and then finish my walk." After some time I started with an actual C25K program, but it would have been too fast for me initially.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Even if C25K turns out to be a little much, don't get discouraged. There's no harm in repeating a day (or week) until you get through all of it, then moving on to the next step
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend Couch to 5K. Also, don't worry about how fast you're going. Just get out there and do it. Speed will come later :)
    Good luck!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    As many have said Couch 2 5K. In 9 weeks you will go from the couch to running 30 minutes non-stop. I started running consistently in April, using the C25K program. I can now run 7 miles
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Consistency and reasonable expectations will be key when you get ready to pursue running. Expect to be slower than you like (you can get faster!). Expect to have weird things hurt (it'll take time and diligence to figure out causes and circumvent them in the future). Expect that you'll be addicted to racing after your first 5k!!! Be consistent. You won't get/feel better running if you don't push through the rough days. And there will be rough days. Hard work pays off!!

And, most of all, enjoy. It's the best fitness decision I've ever made!
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Take care of your body with proper warm up, cool down, and stretching. Get a good pair of shoes from a running store when you start hitting the pavment for "mile" runs. Good luck and enjoy - its pretty cool.
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a good pair of shoes. If you can afford it visit a running store and they will help fit you in a pair of good shoes based on your planned activity. Whether you go to a running store or Walmart just find a pair you feel comfortable in and probably a little larger than normal since once you start to run you want a little more room in the toe. I just read a study which said people walk/run more if they have comfortable shoes - well duh I guess, but the point is it's more important to think of your shoes as comfortable v. minimalist or correcting pronation or whatever.

::The above poster is not a podiatrist but does think a year of running (slowly) makes him an expert in all things running::
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get good shoes (and socks). Start with walking and work your way up and don't forget to cross train - this made the biggest difference for me personally.
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Even if C25K turns out to be a little much, don't get discouraged. There's no harm in repeating a day (or week) until you get through all of it, then moving on to the next step

^^^^ This! I had to repeat a week.. No harm! Ease your way into it.. I'm still working on it.. It takes time but if you stick with it, you'll get there!
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, Im not a running, didn’t have the cardio for it but I did enjoy it when I could. A friend of mine told me about couch to 5K app and it worked GREAT. I just ran my first 5K this past weekend and only trained for a little over a month. The 5K starts you out where you jog for 60 seconds then walk for 90. It slowly builds you up. Now, I cant run the full 3.10 miles, I still stop and breath but I keep going and that is the point. Download that and download RUNKEEPER. It will keep track of your distance and time and calories BIG HELP FOR ME. Good luck.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

This for sure!!