Does anyone know?

Options
If you know you're going to be eating something less than healthy- say you are going to a birthday party, and you wanna eat cake, does it make a difference if you eat little up until that point in the day? Like will your body store the fat over the whole day, or after you eat the cake? I hope this makes sense...

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't know, if i know i'm going to eat my face off at a resturant, i "save" my calories...i just snack a little through out the day...but still drink lots of water and green tea...
  • sonjataki
    sonjataki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's really about moderation...if you're going to eat that cake great, just take a small piece. If you know you're going to be consuming a lot of calories, eat smaller meals and snacks throughout the day or else by the time you get to that party or restaraunt, you're going to be way hungry and binge. And that's where people get in trouble. The cake is fine, it's the stuffing your face that's going to put on fat...
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yes that is ok. The goal is to remain somewhat close to your daily calorie goal. It is even ok to zig zag your cals throughout the week (go over one day and under the next), as this keeps you metabolism guessing and less likely to plateau and get stuck.
  • bartman3331
    bartman3331 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good question.
  • cozzy530
    Options
    Having a bad food day is normal and should not be any bid deal. It doesn't hurt to cut back on some calories knowing you will be having sweets but I would say ramp up your metabolism by doing a little more exercise before going out. Do a quick 10 minute workout like running up and down a stair case/jumping jacks,/ squats and any thing else that will get the heart rate up and keep it up. It will take your body a long time to slow down burning calories the whole time.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt to 'save' calories, but be careful with it since I've noticed in my own experience that if I don't eat or skip meals in preparation for a splurge meal, I tend to overeat and do more damage than had I had a light meal or eaten normally. Remember that you aren't going to necessarily gain weight from a slice of cake--it may bring you above your calorie allotment, but there's a defecit in there so that'll be one-seventh of a pound that you didn't lose if you have your goals set to 1 lb/wk. Really not major in the long-term range!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    In a day - calories in need to be less than calories burned.
    Doesn't matter what time you eat them.
  • darinswife
    Options
    It depends on if your just cal counting like me or are you looking at the fat content and what not. with cal counting i eat very little or filling rabbit food with low everything. you still need to eat, me i will also do a bit longer at the gym so choose what is best for you. you may mess up but you are allowed to because if you want to loose weight you will it may just take longer the more you mess up. stay strong and take pride in everything you do.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It is a mistake to 'starve' yourself then overeat empty calories because, yes it just makes your body try to hold on to those fat stores.

My solution to this dilemma is that I try to eat my 'normal' calories but slightly under my goal that I know fill me up - like lots of veggies, an apple and a little peanut butter, etc. so I won't be too hungry going in. Then I eat the cake or whatever taking a smaller portion than I would normally. I then know how many calories it makes me go over for the day, and make sure I am extra good the next day to keep under my goal total as close to how much I went over the day before. If I totally go WAY over, then I just leave it in the past and move on, hopefully with lesson learned.

I had this same problem THREE times the week because of these ONE TIME events and I still ended up losing a pound in spite of them.
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    I never skip the cake, if it's something I really like. But before going to the party (or at the party) I try to have a snack of something with protein, like low fat cheese or peanut butter with celery or half an apple. It'll keep that sugar in the cake from too quickly turning to sugar (then fat) in your system. Atkins and South Beach both advocate having a protein with a sweet to keep your blood sugar from spiking.

Another trick when you go out to dinner, not always socially acceptable at someone's home, is to take half your serving of dessert home with you to enjoy the next day. Twice the fun and half the calories/day!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i do know this....if you restrict your calories to much, your body will go into hibernation mode. if i am going to be eating a "special" food/meal i have two ways to attack it: i do a double workout. the same that i do my finances, save it and pay cash...i Earn Before I Eat. earn that treat. i also allow myself grace. i know life happens. i plan for it and give myself grace to step outside the box occasionally. i don't do this daily. or even weekly. but i allowed myself grace when i stepped on the scales today after an 11 day vacation. life happens. be kind to yourself.
    and when going to social events, focus on the people and not the food. if you know there are things there that are outside of your healthy living eating, then eat before hand and just talk while you are at the event. others will notice. and they will commend you for choosing your health over food. typically no one ever notices that i don't eat. if it's a meal situation in someone's home, take your own food that fits into your eating plan. your true friends will support you.
    cheering you on!
    Jane
  • DJ2NYCE
    DJ2NYCE Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you like green tea....Try matcha....read my latest blog post if your not hip to the green goodness yet!!!