Getting Frustrated!

Options
2»

Replies

• jojo0909
    jojo0909 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's a plateau. It's only been three days. Doctors say you should lose 1-2 pounds a week to lose safely. The first two weeks you probably lost water weight. This week is where the real weight starts. Its usually not considered a plateau for a few months. You have just started your journey and you will learn what works for you. I have been on here more than 2 months and have just now got it down to eating the way it works for me. I am on 1200 calories. Salt is a big issue. If you are eating a lot of salt and drinking a lot of water you may still be retaining water. Try to cut back on your salt first and foremost. I think if you can get that under control you will find it help your weight loss kick into gear. Don't expect to lose 3 and 4 pounds every week. It usually doesn't work that way. Don't get frustrated. Just keep working on it. You will get there. Just remember Slow and steady wins the race. YOU CAN DO IT!!

I agree!
  • darcibean
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the encouraging words!!!

I think I just lost so much the first 2 weeks that I want to lose it like that every week...I know I shouldn't be that way though. I'm just going to keep on. It's hard though, my husband has lost 14lbs already and he started two days after me!! Not fair! Ha!!
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I personally went 3 months without losing anything and was going to the gym, that's what brought me to MFP. Not sure what is "officially" a plateau.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So for 2 weeks now I have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day. When I exercise I try to eat a little more. I am having a problem with my sodium intake, but I'm working on it. The first week I lost 4 lbs, last week I lost 3 lbs, and the past 3 days the scale hasn't moved.
    My clothes are fitting better, I was pulling up my shorts every 5 minutes yesterday while out grocery shopping...but I'm getting frustrated that the number on the scale is stuck.
    Before dieting I was eating upwards of 3000-4000 calories a day, drinking soda, sweet tea, etc. Now I drink a ton of water (at least 1/2 gallon a day) and crystal light, and maybe a diet soda.

Is it too early for a plateau? What can I do to get that number moving again??

Three days (or even a week or two) is not a plateau.

How long before something is considered a plateau...I personally think at 2 weeks, I would feel like I was on some sort of a plateau. Ya..maybe 3 days not so much, but 2 weeks....totally different.

The official definition of a plateau is 6 weeks with the scale not moving up or down.

I'd probably get annoyed before 6 weeks, but that's an official plateau.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the encouraging words!!!

I think I just lost so much the first 2 weeks that I want to lose it like that every week...I know I shouldn't be that way though. I'm just going to keep on. It's hard though, my husband has lost 14lbs already and he started two days after me!! Not fair! Ha!!

A lot of people have large losses the first week or two (or sometimes three) because when you start dieting, one thing peopel do it eat less sodium and drink more water, so the body lets go of a lot of water it's been holding onto.

You'll see a big change on the scale, and of course some of it is fat, but a lot of it is water. Once you're well-hydrated and eating healthier, your body doesn't hold onto the water, so losses are smaller, but they're BETTER losses.

As long as you're averaging .5-2 pounds lost per week, you're doing great. (And very few people can lose 2 pounds a week without practically starving themselves -- it happens, but is unusual).