Need help with logging exercise

Options
Okay so I go to a gym at lunch and take a bootcamp class on tuesdays and thursday but I really dont know how to log my class in my exercise part of my journal. I really want to log it to stay within my calories for the day come dinner time. PLEASE HELP.

Okay so the class consisted of 50 jumping jacks to start, leg swings and 4point squarts to warm up, then we went into rotation of treadmill (incline at 5 running 5.3) for 20 second, moved to 20 squats, moved to stationary bike standing high tension for 40 seconds, Push ups (15), elliptical (40 seconds) then the rotation started over again. Class was about 30 mintues...... I really built up a sweat but if Iog each thing then it only says I burned 190 calories for the class, how can that be right.

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest investing in a heart rate monitor. Your heart rate is the BEST indicator of how many calories you burn during your workout. MFP is okay with their calories burned guide but nothing beats cold, hard stats and that comes in the form of having a heart rate monitor. We are ALL different and the burn from one person vs another is vastly different and although MFP tries to use your individual stats to come up with calories burned, again, it's not nearly as accurate as having a heart rate monitor.

Does that make sense?
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you it does. I have thought about getting one just havent yet. But how so I log today?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it -- so to speak. It's hard to get a completely accurate calculation, and heart rate monitors are not great at estimating calorie burn, you use them to see how hard your heart is working. If you stick your eating plan and weigh yourself regularly you should do fine. Exercise is good for your health, but it is not an essential part of weight loss.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Thank you it does. I have thought about getting one just havent yet. But how so I log today?

I know it's disheartening, but 190 calories is probably pretty close to your actual burn. I do CrossFit and sometimes my hour long classes are under 400 calories, even if I gave it my all.

I also recommend getting an HRM. I use mine every class since calorie burn varies widely with activity.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Circuit training perhaps? Its the only thing i can think of that would fit. I dont think MFP has cross training. I think it would be similar to one of these two though.

I wouldnt stress too much about it, but it would give you something to enter for today :)
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    MFP has a build-in exercise called "calisthenics" at light, moderate and vigorous intensities which includes sit-ups, push-ups, and other high-intensity but short timeline exercises. I have logged that when doing general exercises that really get the heart rate going but are hard to log individually and I've found it seems to give me a reasonable number (and I've lost weight while logging that way). A good heart-rate monitor will give you a better idea, but until you decide to go that route, you can log your minutes of calisthenics to at least get an idea of what your burn might have been.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Log the minutes you work out as Fast Dancing. I'd say that is similar
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Class was about 30 mintues...... I really built up a sweat but if Iog each thing then it only says I burned 190 calories for the class, how can that be right.

I know you're not going to like this, but "built up a sweat" has limited correlation to "burned calories", and that 190 calories is also likely an over-estimation.

An HRM won't give you a more accurate read, either.
  • DaniLynn01
    Options
    I have a body bugg and don't put any of my exercise on MFP it is too complicated and time consuming. My body bugg app syncs with MFP though and adjusts your calories for each day. A really great tool! I LOVE MINE. WORTH EVERY PENNY!