First attempt at jogging!

Options
emmyworthy
emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
So even though I am all full up with what feels like the flu (but is probably just a cold!), I made my first attempt at going for a run tonight!

Don't get me wrong, I have been working out since I started MFP, but I've been swimming or walking which aren't high intensity! I decided that tonight would be the night to make my first foray into running because it's started getting dark around half 6 here in Swansea. I don't want to run in broad daylight where people can look at me and judge but I also don't wanna run late at night because it's not safe!

I managed to run (okay it was a jog and quite a slow one at that) for 25 minutes, only stopping to walk at traffic lights so I didn't fall over in the middle of the road, which would be typical of me! It feels as if I might actually be able to one day run a 5k which is my ultimate goal!!

Thanks to all my MFP friends who are further along than me and are showing me that it is possible to change my life for the better!!!

Replies

• jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Good job! It takes a while of conditioning to get used to running - especially outside. I've been running outside for only about 6 months and some days its fantastic and some days I can't go more then 1/4 mile without walking but just getting out and doing it is what counts.

Keep it up and have fun and stay safe if you are running in low light. Make sure your jacket or top has some sort of reflective strips on it so cars can see you. I got a really nice cap light that clips to the bill of my hat to help light up the path in front of me. I love it!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success using the Couch to 5K program (C25K), gradually builds you up into running a 5K over a 9 week period. You may want to give that a try if your goal is a 5K. I'm on week 7, having never been a runner, currently doing about 2.5 miles. Worked really well for me!
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You might be interested in C25K (couch to 5k) www.coolrunning.com. It trains you with run/walk intervals to prepare for a 5k. You can get free podcasts that tell you when to walk/run on itunes. Keep up the good work!
  • emmyworthy
    Options
    Sounds like a plan getting one of those lights!! I was jogging down this one path which had no street lights and it was sooooo creepy!! But that just encouraged me to run a little faster to wear the street lights were!!!
  • emmyworthy
    Options
    Thanks for the advice revbeaux and hozik!!!
    Might have to give that a try!!!
  • Stepanie
    Options
    Hey Congrats!! on doing my favorite type of cardio, however it's hard in the beginning but it will only get easier as time goes on...
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I've just started jogging too. Managed 5k alternating both jogging/walking in under 30mins so it is do-able. One day I'm hoping to be able to go the distance without walking, my next goal is to be able to do the 5k in 25mins, be it walking, jogging or a combination of the two.

It's starting to get darker here earlier too in Leeds so I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to running in the dark too!

Keep it up.
  • missmeliss
    missmeliss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    good job! you've given me motivation to jog a bit tonight :)
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success using the Couch to 5K program (C25K), gradually builds you up into running a 5K over a 9 week period. You may want to give that a try if your goal is a 5K. I'm on week 7, having never been a runner, currently doing about 2.5 miles. Worked really well for me!

Second that! I'm doing it now.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    Congrats on starting to run! Hit us up if you need any tips or advice :)
    Be careful while you're sick though, LIGHT cardio can help you feel better but if you over do it you'll be sick longer!
  • dervish2
    Options
    Well Done, I started off walking/shuffling 1 mile in January and am now running up to 6 miles in a session.

Take it easy, Chi Running really worked for me as did the Couch 2 5k that is mentioned below
  • mrecker
    mrecker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats! Personally, I'm not a fan of running, but I applaud you. If you end up finding that running is too high impact for you (I know it always hurt my knees and shins) you should consider the elliptical or riding a bike. Everytime I'd try to run I'd eventually fall out of my routine, biking was the answer and nothing beats the feeling of the wind on your face as you zip on down the road!

You could even use biking to get your legs stronger and more prepared for running.

Keep up the good work!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Indeed I just got back into running recently, running a 10k at the end of this month. I want to do it before it gets TOO COLD to run, since I live in Michigan. I run at night all the time, in the beginning it was just because I was self-conscious, but now I just enjoy the quiet, people and traffic free time of day.
  • navs52
    navs52 Posts: 40
    Options
    Trust me nobody's judging you when you run......ppl don't care.
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Wow you did great! My first attempt at jogging was this morning. I thought I was ready as I'm not longer tired or winded after 1.5-2 mile fast walks. I started out by walking 1/4 mile, but could only jog 1/8 mile at a time. I will keep at it and hope it gets better!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!