Fat arms :S

Options
I've lost about 7kgs so far and have noticed a little bit of weightloss everywhere except my arms.

So im just wondering,
Will my fat arms go once I lose more weight or do I need to do exercises to make it go?
I don't have any access to weights.

They are horrible -__-

TIA :-)

Replies

• wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    All the research that I've read tells us no, we cannot "spot reduce". Muscle does not turn into fat, and fat cannot turn into muscle as the tissue is not the same. We lose fat, enhance our muscle. The loss of fat allows us to see the muscle definition, if there is some.

In addition, genetics plays a large role in how we look. According to Mark Lauren, "Body by You", only about 1 percent of the population actually have the American model body type - the rest of us are "normal". So we can only look like ourselves, healthier.

Best wishes!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    As the other member said, you can spot reduce and some people have a disproportionate amount of fat in their arms. Do other family members have fat arms? That might be a clue.
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My dad was skinny and my mum is a little overweight so I can't really tell but i know when she was younger she was a stick so I don't think so.

Thank you
  • Nenny1985
    Nenny1985 Posts: 122
    Options
    hi. ive found boxing really good for arms and its also great for abs, waist and general cardio. i do 1min of boxing at a time, usually alternating with 1 min of a different exercise for 10 - 20 mins at a time. i use 1kg weights in each hand but if you don't have weights you can use tins of canned food or full water bottles instead
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Options
    O cool! Thanks
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You might have lost some and not noticed though. I've always hated my arms, and it seems to me I haven't lost anything in them, but I saw a picture from my high weight and it's obvious that I have. They're still horribly flabby though.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My dad was skinny and my mum is a little overweight so I can't really tell but i know when she was younger she was a stick so I don't think so.

Thank you

That's good. So maybe all you need to do is keep losing weight, and as you get closer to your goal weight, concentrate on losing fat.

I wasn't trying to be discouraging earlier, but if someone has the genetics to have heavy arms there's no point in telling her that she can magically reduce them from diet and exercise. There are other things one might do, in terms of exercise and dressing, but ultimately we're stuck with the bodies we have unless we're willing to have plastic surgery.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Diet alone will make you skinny fat. It doesn't change your current proportions. Resistance training is body re-composition meaning you can target an area for a certain physique look. You can't choose where fat comes off, but you can build muscle in certain area, which encourages fat burning.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some resistance training or even weight lifting if you are not already. You can't spot reduce as others have said so unfortunately only lowering your overall body fat will deal with it. But you can ensure you have some nice toned arms by working that muscle below the fat for when your body fat starts dropping.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can build muscle under those arms and then they will be strong and not look as fat. If you don't have weights there's always the 100 pushups program and the 100 pullups program. http://alternative100pushups.com/

Pushups and pull ups will do amazing things for your arms all by themselves...but if you want to get into other moves like curls then it doesn't really take a lot of expensive weights...bands are cheap usually, plus there's no shortage of household items that weigh quite a bit...like a gallon of water that you might have laying around, or maybe an old half filled paint can, some 38 oz. cans of tomatos, or a couple of travel cups that you could fill with gravel...weights don't have to be store bought to be effective, anything with some heft to it will work just fine.
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Options
    You might have lost some and not noticed though. I've always hated my arms, and it seems to me I haven't lost anything in them, but I saw a picture from my high weight and it's obvious that I have. They're still horribly flabby though.

Oh yeah, well I suppose that's good then that you lost some (:

That's good. So maybe all you need to do is keep losing weight, and as you get closer to your goal weight, concentrate on losing fat. 

I wasn't trying to be discouraging earlier, but if someone has the genetics to have heavy arms there's no point in telling her that she can magically reduce them from diet and exercise. There are other things one might do, in terms of exercise and dressing, but ultimately we're stuck with the bodies we have unless we're willing to have plastic surgery.

Yeah fingers crossed! And that's fine :) you weren't.

--
    Okay so ill try everything that you guys suggested and see how I go :) thanks so much.
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't look so bad if my arms didn't look like Popeye's arms! Thanks for the tips!
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can build muscle under those arms and then they will be strong and not look as fat. If you don't have weights there's always the 100 pushups program and the 100 pullups program. http://alternative100pushups.com/

Pushups and pull ups will do amazing things for your arms all by themselves...but if you want to get into other moves like curls then it doesn't really take a lot of expensive weights...bands are cheap usually, plus there's no shortage of household items that weigh quite a bit...like a gallon of water that you might have laying around, or maybe an old half filled paint can, some 38 oz. cans of tomatos, or a couple of travel cups that you could fill with gravel...weights don't have to be store bought to be effective, anything with some heft to it will work just fine.

Thanks for the website and other ideas... Great ones. I can't wait to try.

I'm losing weight too but my arms are not getting toned fast enough for me. My boss commented that he could tell that I'd lost weight but that I really needed to work on my arms... I told him it was my goals that I was focusing on, not his. But he was right, they need help!
  • ladyred316
    Options
    PUSH UPS! You dont have to do a lot with weights, your body weight provides enough. My arms were the same, very flabby, and I would start losing everywhere but my arms. I started doing push ups, which builds and tones muscle, and muscle burns fat. Ie already seen a significant difference. I usually do 30 push ups every other day. But I started with about 15 to 20.