Butternut Squash

Options
back2happy2005
back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
I need ideas for Butternut Squash. It needs to be kid friendly. I roasted an Acorn squash last week and they loved it so I was hoping to do something different this time. Can I just chop and bake like sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet?

Replies

• VJ97
    VJ97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash is an absolute favorite in our house!!
    It makes a great soup, bake with Sweet Potato and red onion using a little spray oil. We add a sprinkling or nutmeg and cinnamon and when cooked blend with chicken stock MMMMMMmmmmmm:drinker:
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Cut it into cubes and roast it until it's soft. Toss it in a bit of olive oil, sprinkle on some nutmeg then throw in some cooked pasta.

It also works well as a salad with roasted red peppers and chic peas with a minty, yoghurty dressing.
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can but I would peel it first. A little EVOO and some salt. If they like soup. I love butternut squash soup. Add some deshelled pumpkin seeds to the top to tickle the kids fancy!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas- at 40 I have discovered the joy that is squash (particularly spaghetti squash) and bought a butternut last week. I don't know what to do with it- I was going to just bake it and take out the "meat" and serve with coconut oil and salt and pepper, but I am open to ideas! LOL
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I made a macaroni and cheese, after roasting it and pureeing it last year and I think I found it on www.foodgawker.com.
    Just pop it in there. Love that site! :happy:

When I'm feeling lazy, I love to just roast it with olive oil and cinnamon.
  • JenniferAHaines
    JenniferAHaines Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mashed butternut squash is good. You can actually just cut in half, roast it and then scoop out the insides once it's soft. Add some milk or almond milk, some cinnamon and maybe a little sugar if you want and just mash it up. It's good!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I like it this way, though it might be too sweet/tart for the kids ...

Roast the squash and after, toss with some squeezes of lime juice and sea salt. Add some hot pepper flakes if you like for some nice heat.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just made roasted root vegetables last night! So delicious, and butternut squash is in there (also used sweet potato, baby red potatoes, baby carrots, sweet onion). Roast uncovered for an hour (after peeling and cubing), tossing in olive oil, pepper and parsley. Cook for 50 minutes at 450 degrees. Then, with 10 minutes left, drizzle with MAPLE SYRUP. Put back in to finish for 10 minutes. SO DELISH!
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I usually cut it into small piece and pan fry it but you could do the same in the oven and sprinkle a little cinnamon on it, my son loves it!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Bumping for later.

If you pan fry it, how long does that take?
  • Ronnie2002
    Ronnie2002 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Spagetti squash: Cut in half, bake it in shell until done, take fork and shredded it, add some chopped tomatoes, sprinkle some basil and top with shredded cheese of choice. Put back in oven until cheese melts, cut into half (4) and enjoy.
  • lifu1
    lifu1 Posts: 10
    Options
    One really easy way to do it- microwave for about 5 minutes or so, peel the skin off (careful it'll be really hot!), then cut into cubes / take the seeds out. microwave for a few more minutes checking every minute or so to see if they are soft. it's done once its soft enough to mash. add a little butter and some cinnamon, delicious!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump