is there any good way to do squats after running miles?

Options
i tried to do squats after a 3 mile run with weights and my legs were killing me is there a point where you shouldn't do squats after running? should you stretch after you run then do squats/legs? thanks

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Do your lifting/body weight stuff before you run.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    thats a good idea. i usually run and then lift but with legs i could just do them first.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run on legs day - just not a good combination. Do a different cardio, or just focus on your weights for that day.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Yep, weights before cardio. Actually really love the run day of and day after squats. Stretches my legs back out and gets some more nutrients flowing down below. Of course I usually look like I have a horrible gimp leg the first mile but hey, I'm not exactly graceful to watch running anyway.
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You should do the squats before you run to fatigue your muscles a little, don't do an excess amount of them though, just enough to make them feel slightly fatigued. I would suggest doing a dynamic stretch routine, then squats, then run, then a static stretch routine.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have to do my squats after my run or else I can't run.. dead legs.. and depending on my run I either have to do air squats or goblet squats with a kettle bell, can't do barbell squats... again dead legs... but I'm a runner and it's important for me to get my runs in rather than lift heavy... if your goals are different put what will help you reach your goal first.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I take a rest day in between my run day and my squats day. Otherwise my squats suck.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Do strength and cardio on different days?
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yep, weights before cardio. Actually really love the run day of and day after squats. Stretches my legs back out and gets some more nutrients flowing down below. Of course I usually look like I have a horrible gimp leg the first mile but hey, I'm not exactly graceful to watch running anyway.

This. It feels like the muscles get tight and bunched with squats and stretch back out with running. I wouldn't do more than a 5 minute cardio warmup before. Even that is unnecessary as long as you do proper warmup sets or if you are freezing cold when you get to the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This...or run on non-lifting days if you do full body...if you do splits don't run on leg day. I don't do **** else but take a walk on lifting days.