monthly shop - whats in your basket?

Options
debrag12
debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
So I am thinking of doing a monthly shop (asda - £50 to £60) and then smaller weekly ones to try and stick to a budget.

What would you get if you were doing a monthly shop, so far I have:

Quinoa
Pasta
Rice
Frozen/tinned veg
Tinned beans
Tinned tuna/salmon
Soup
Cereal
Meat - chicken, pork, beef, turkey
Household items

Not sure what else to add, milk + fresh veg etc will be on the weekly shops. We have a small freezer unfortunately.

Replies

• booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Ground Beef
    Pork Loin
    Frozen Tilapia
    Frozen or canned Veggies
    GNC Total Lean 25 Total Lean Shake Powder
    Quest Bars
    Cottage Cheese (Usually has a month long expiration date)
    Rice

When I started thinking of more ways to stretch our budget I took about $75 off our grocery bill a month by doing the following:

Getting meat when it's on sale or BOGO. Freeze it or buy enough to make several meals and stash in the fridge for the week. (Ex: Buy whole chickens if BOGO, roast both of them, have chicken for dinner that night, split the broth and leftover chicken and make chicken soup by adding various veggies, then make a meal of chicken and noodles or dumplings, or chicken with veggies and rice an there you have meals and lunches for the week for about $20-$30. Do the same with BOGO Roasts. Roast 1 with veggies and make beef stew out of the other. Ground beef: sloppy joes, spaghetti and meat, chili and you're done for the week and can cook them all at once. Pork Tenderloin: Pulled pork, pork and sauerkraut, pork roast, slice and grill.)

If possible, I would definitely invest in a freezer. At the beginning of fall, I make a HUGE witches pot of beans and ham, 2 lasagnas, HUGE witches pots of vegetable soup, chicken soup, and chili and put it in individual portion size containers and freeze and then when we get ready to go to work in the morning, we just pull out whatever we want for that night to eat and put it in the fridge to thaw and microwave it when we get home. Add salad or veggies and dinner is served!

Hope this helps.
  • debrag12
    Options
    Well I don't have the room for a stand a lone freezer, I have a 3 draw one currently. We always buy meat on offer, so 2 for £5 or 3 for £10 etc
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    2 for 5? Usually it's 2 for 7 and 3 for 10. What's your budget? I am near to Tesco and Sainsburys and I am cutting down from 200£ to 150£ this month. I would avoid a large shopping trip; I find it best to limit the spending by doing 20£ max trips. Use up meat in the freezer first before buying new one. That is usually my most difficult challenge.
  • debrag12
    Options
    I always use up my food before buying more, with a weekly shop I'd buy 7 meals and have them before buying more. I shop at Sainsburys and it's 2 for £5 never seen 2 for £7. Just trying to cut down on the crap so feel one shop for meats, dried items etc is best, then a smaller shop for the fresh stuff.