Challenge! Cooking for three very different people...

Options
mazmataz
mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
So it's my turn to cook for my two roommates....the only issue is that the three of us are very different in what we need from our food:

Me: Meat eater, eating 1500 cals a day, lifting and running 5x a week, trying to drop weight
RM1: Meat eater, eating 3000+ cals a a day, lifting, trying to gain weight
RM2: Veggie, doesn't really care how many cals she eats, not watching her weight

I do love a challenge, but I also like a little help with said challenge ;)

Any ideas recipe folks?

P.S. The point of this post is not to initiate a debate around how many calories anyone should or shouldn't be eating. I'm happy with my routine, as is my roommate...it's just a bit of fun :)

Replies

• ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    how about stuffed peppers that you can customize? beef and white rice for the 3000 cal eater, ground turkey and brown
    rice for you and tofu and veggies (eggplant?) for the veggie?
  • mazmataz
    Options
    how about stuffed peppers that you can customize? beef and white rice for the 3000 cal eater, ground turkey and brown
    rice for you and tofu and veggies (eggplant?) for the veggie?

Awesome idea! Only would you believe that my veggie roommate stole that exact idea when it was her turn to cook last week, damnit!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So it's my turn to cook for my two roommates....the only issue is that the three of us are very different in what we need from our food:

Me: Meat eater, eating 1500 cals a day, lifting and running 5x a week, trying to drop weight
    RM2: Veggie, doesn't really care how many cals she eats, not watching her weight

Any ideas recipe folks?

P.S. The point of this post is not to initiate a debate around how many calories anyone should or shouldn't be eating. I'm happy with my routine, as is my roommate...it's just a bit of fun :)

Pasta Primavera with chicken parm on the side
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Steak for you and RM1. Salad for RM2.

Done!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I was going to make a suggestion similar to acg. Something like a build your own taco/burrito layout could be good too. Beef for the meaties, black beans for the veggie. avocado, sour cream, spanish rice (make sure not to use chicken stock so it's good for both the meat eaters and the vegetarian), cheese, pico or salsa for some extras.
  • mazmataz
    Options
    I was going to make a suggestion similar to acg. Something like a build your own taco/burrito layout could be good too. Beef for the meaties, black beans for the veggie. avocado, sour cream, spanish rice (make sure not to use chicken stock so it's good for both the meat eaters and the vegetarian), cheese, pico or salsa for some extras.

That actually sounds pretty awesome - we may have a winner :)
  • Courtney011691
    Options

Any ideas recipe folks?

Pasta Primavera with chicken parm on the side

Use the Morningstar or Bocca burger vegetarian chicken patties and you're golden. They taste great but no meat.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You and RM1 can probably eat the same things - just RM1 would eat more.

This kinda describes my husband and I - when we cook, he makes sure there are 3-4 oz portion sizes for me, and then he eats the big pieces. Chicken, steak, whatever - we eat the same thing.

As for RM2, I would say double-up on the veggie side dishes you're making - you can ALL eat those!!!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti & meatballs. Bigger portion for the high cal eater,no meat for the veg.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Individual pizzas, different toppings for different tastes or Gyneth Paltrow has what she calls "rice cream sundaes." She gives her kids individual bowls of rice then loads the table with all kinds of toppings - chicken, lean steak, bean sprouts, snow peas, edamame, shredded carrots, soy sauce, oyster sauce, whatever you have around. Make it wicked fun by getting some real fortune cookies at the local chinese place or many grocery stores sell them in a box on their "International Food Aisle."
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    Pasta with homemade pesto, roast vegetables, salad.
    Porcini risotto, roast veg, salad.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Steak, (with fat to trim off for lower cal), beans and rice OR quinoa (both good protein) sweet potato, and a side of fresh steamed broccoli.
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    veggies and brown rice stir fry

add beef for high cal, chicken or egg for yours and serve as is to your vegetarian roomie!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes with customizable topping options -- fajita steak seared in olive oil + melted cheese for RM1, broccoli and grilled chicken for you, cottage cheese and just-wilted spinach for RM2... etc.