Trying to find a good net calorie goal

I'm trying to lose the 14 lbs I gained after I had a rough patch with intense binge eating, and slipped back to my pre-lifestyle change wieght. I would eat about 4,000 calories on particularly bad days, to the point where I'd feel very sick.

Anyways, I've always expirienced the same sort of problems. I have a very very fast metabolism, which is great but I always end up losing a lot of weight very fast and then bingeing on weekends.

For the record I'm 5'8 and 142 lbs right now. I'm definetly not fat but I'm worried eating as much as I do will cause negative health problems later.

To lose wieght in the past I ate 1,700 a day and exercised to net 1,200. I lost a pound a day doing that, meaning by the time the next monday rolled around I was seven pounds lighter. How many calories should my net actually be, to lose two pounds a week? I shouldnt be losing that much at my BMI. Every monday and some tuesdays during my diet I would binge and eat almost 3,000 calories! Yikes! I was still losing wieght but it was more of a yo-yo affect.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    I am 5'2 and 150 trying to get to around 135 and I net around 1500....sometimes a little less or more. Either way, when i net 1500-1600 i lose about 1lb per week.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    I'm the same height as you, and I'm a pound or two lighter, and my goal weight is 130-135. Depending on your age, you should really try to stay between 1600-1700 calories a day. I personally don't exercise, I think it's fine if you enjoy it, but I think people often use exercise as an excuse to eat more, and that's just self defeating. If they "ate back" their calories EXACTLY, that would be one thing, but we all know that people overestimate their calories burned and underestimate their calories eaten. So I don't bother with that game at all, I just reduce my calories. I'm doing 1200 calories right now, but as I get closer to my goal, I'll start stepping up my calories to my maintenance total of 1600 calories per day. I'm 44 though, so if you're significantly younger, you'll be able to eat 100-200 more calories per day than me. It's a doggone shame that our bodies "do more with less" as we get older, but alas, there's naught we can do about it. I blame evolution. :tongue:
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    As for controlling binges—make sure you get lots of protein, fat, and fiber in your diet, and stay away from sugar and simple starches for the most part. It's hard to really binge on steaks and salads. Also, avoid alcohol, we tend to make poor calorie choices when we're tipsy, and alcohol usually packs quite a few itself, especially beer.