Dinner....ACK!!!

Options
CaseyIsTooFat
CaseyIsTooFat Posts: 22 Member
So everyday I usually do great with my calories. I eat the exact same thing for breakfast and the exact same lunch everyday. Dinner however is where my trouble begins. I need to find GOOD TASTING recipes for new things for my boyfriend and I. He's not the biggest fan of eating the same thing and I need help finding healthy food to serve at dinner....suggestions?

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

Expand your horizons girl introduce a little more variety your body with thank you.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Pinterest on the Health and Fitness board is where I get most of mine from.
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    Honestly what works best for me is just to make a "healthier" alternative to the same meal that he is eating. My man is a big meat and heavy starches and fat kinda guy so this just does not work for me.

Example:

I will make him regular tacos and I will make myself ground turkey tacos.
    I will make us both Swai fish (It's pretty healthy) and just make him the Jasmine rice he loves and I will have brown rice with broccoli.
    Make him spaghetti and I eat spaghetti squash
    Cook chicken drumsticks his way with tons of glaze and leave a few untouched for me.

There are plenty of ways you can still eat the same types of foods just in different ways. My boyfriend just doesn't like anything healthy and I could honestly eat the same thing everyday too so I just work around it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So everyday I usually do great with my calories. I eat the exact same thing for breakfast and the exact same lunch everyday. Dinner however is where my trouble begins. I need to find GOOD TASTING recipes for new things for my boyfriend and I. He's not the biggest fan of eating the same thing and I need help finding healthy food to serve at dinner....suggestions?

http://foodcomas.com/2012/05/07/buttermilk-fried-chicken/

http://sundaychickendinner.blogspot.com/2011/10/david-changs-brick-chicken.html

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Saveur-100-2011-Pasta-Alla-Norma-Pasta-with-Tomato-Sauce-and-Eggplant
  • CaseyIsTooFat
    CaseyIsTooFat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What is squash spaggetti?
  • hopeteeple
    Options
    Its a squash thats stringy.
  • AnyankaSigrun
    Options
    It is delicious! You cut it in half and scoop out the seeds like a pumpkin. Then bake it for about 40 minutes at 400, you can microwave it too but I don't. Then take a fork and scrape the insides out and it will be like spaghetti. Then anything you use spaghetti for you can use the squash and it is much lower calorie and better for you.
  • MSwope918
    MSwope918 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to make some kind of lean meat, chicken, pork chop, and a salad or a vegetable. Then I add some kind of starch for my husband. Sometimes I take one red potato, cut it into chunks and fry it in some olive oil, butter and herbs. He loves that. Could also do a baked potato with toppings. Sometimes I cook some noodles, add some butter and olive oil and herbs and serve that. Also, Minute Rice has single serving microwave rice bowls you can get. Or you can make some kind of side dish like au gratin potatoes, and freeze individual servings for him to have on the side. I don't like to make 2 different meals, so I just try to add something to his. If I feel like having mashed potatoes, I cook up cauliflower and mash it up and throw some other stuff in it. Very good and my husband loves it! Good luck!
  • marykate723
    marykate723 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

Expand your horizons girl introduce a little more variety your body with thank you.

I second her comment! Skinny Taste is great. My husband wants meat meat meat and cheese cheese cheese. So do I, but I also want both of us to get our vegetables! I have made many Skinny Taste recipes and he's loved them all. The Zucchini Boats with chicken sausage were particularly tasty.

Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My husband's not exactly on the bandwagon with eating healthy but I have never made us separate things - that is just way too much work and I'm not spending hours in the kitchen or dirtying more dishes than I have to. It's just not necessary. Make the dishes you like, just make small tweaks like using leaner meats, cutting down on the amount of carbs (less potato, pasta, rice, etc), using lower fat cheese/dairy and bulking up with more veggies.

The biggest key though is I make sure my portions are normal. He can eat about twice as much as me most of the time - which is part of the reason I got fat - I thought I should be eating that much too since it seemed normal, however there's a huge difference between my calorie needs and his. Not only because of gender differences but because he's about 8 inches taller than me. :)

Planning also can really help. If you know in advance what you're going to be making for dinner, there's less temptation to just grab whatever you can find on the way home or go out/order out. It can even put off his cravings - if Hubs suggests pizza and I haven't planned for it, I can say "we'll get pizza in a couple days, I've got chicken that needs to be cooked and pork chops thawed for the next day" That gives me a couple days to prepare for extra calories from pizza.

If you want to try new recipes, MyRecipes.com (Cooking Light) and hungry-girl.com are good sources too. One of my favorites is allrecipes.com - they're not all healthy recipes but you can search by ingredients and then make tweaks to the recipes to make them healthier/lighter.