Has anyone tried phentermine?

Options
13»

Replies

• cnp8942
    cnp8942 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm sorry for anyone who's had bad experiences with this pill, but it does give me a lot to think about. I really appreciate all of the feedback and there's no way I wouldn't still exercise and diet while taking this pill. thanks again!
  • OMGG
    OMGG Posts: 44
    Options
    What are these called? I didnt think you could get anything like that in the UK anymore.......... Would love to try... Any advice please

Good Luck all
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    What are these called? I didnt think you could get anything like that in the UK anymore.......... Would love to try... Any advice please

Good Luck all

It was banned in the UK in April 2000 because of all the deaths from heart valve disorders. Just read up on the National Institute of Clinical Excellence and find out all about this so-called wonder drug.

If you then want to risk your life, go ahead, buy it from an online pharmacy - but it was banned over here for a darn good reason so be VERY CAREFUL.

Anything that sounds to good to be true generally IS.:mad:

I have my nurse's hat on here folks:embarassed:
  • OMGG
    Options
    lol ok

i have moved on already :-)

how can i add my ticker................................

thanks
  • OMGG
    Options
    yeah hey!! added my own little ticker :-)
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    oh sorry i meant month's.....it is still the same loss though at 2 pounds a week for 16 weeks... 32 pounds lost with logging cals and moderate exercise, actually it's 2 pounds more :)
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There is no quick fix diet pill, in my opinion.
    The FDA recommends this diet pill be taken no longer than 12 weeks in addition to maintaining a sensible diet & exercise plan.

I say, if you're going to follow a sensible diet & exercise plan, you may as well skip the pill entirely and save yourself some money.
    If you lose at a healthy/sustainable rate (.5- 2 lbs/week), you could lose up to 8lbs/month= 32 lbs in 4 mos., on the high end.
    If you exert the discipline to do so, chances are, you're making a lifestyle change that includes healthy eating.

I prefer healthy functioning organs (esp. my heart) and slow & sustainable losses (to avoid saggy skin).
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I took it for six weeks and lost 15 lbs. I loved it. You literally are hardly hungry at all. I forced myself to eat, but was full after two bites. I kept it off for two years. Since you're so used to eating hardly anything, it's not hard to stay around 1200 calories wehn you're done. Good luck!
  • leah33
    leah33 Posts: 16
    Options
    HORRIBLE STUFF! I was on it for two weeks at half the prescribed dose (the full dose made me feel like my heart would burst from my chest). I had a cardiac episode and ended up in the ER with my two children watching me get electrodes strapped to my chest with a nitro drip. I was 31 and weighed 145 when I started taking the phentermine!!! It took six months to get back to a place where I could sleep at night...at all. Three years later, I still have heart palpitations. Not to mention that I gained TWENTY pounds after I stopped taking it. I actually considered baby doses of it again to jump start my weight loss recently. However, that is only due to the extreme desire to lose weight at any cost. After trying MFP for a few weeks now, I have lost seven pounds with no negative side effects, and I am CONVINVED this is the way to go...phentermine is NOT!!!!
  • Luv2bme
    Luv2bme Posts: 58
    Options
    I took a generic brand of Phentermine from a doctor. I recommend it to everyone! It is how I lost most of my weight. If you get it from a doctor, they monitor you monthly. There are people outthere who should not be taking it, and those are the people who are most likely having the horrible side effects. You would have ti be honest to the doctor about your medical history. But, yes, there is dry mouth (just keep a bottle of water close by). It did keep me up late if I took it later in the day. But the results WAAAY outweighed the side effects. The doc will tell you to eat 5 times a day (small portions) and exercise. Common sense... It you follow the routine, you will have no problem losing weight! Good luck!!
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    I took a generic brand of Phentermine from a doctor. I recommend it to everyone! It is how I lost most of my weight. If you get it from a doctor, they monitor you monthly. There are people outthere who should not be taking it, and those are the people who are most likely having the horrible side effects. You would have ti be honest to the doctor about your medical history. But, yes, there is dry mouth (just keep a bottle of water close by). It did keep me up late if I took it later in the day. But the results WAAAY outweighed the side effects. The doc will tell you to eat 5 times a day (small portions) and exercise. Common sense... It you follow the routine, you will have no problem losing weight! Good luck!!

But surely eating 5 small portions a day and exercising will ensure you lose weight anyway without the need for drugs?:frown:

I am so glad this medication is banned in the UK and has been for 10 years - although some people will undoubtedly buy it online - that is worrying, but hey, we're all adults and can make informed decisions I guess.
  • Luv2bme
    Luv2bme Posts: 58
    Options
    I hope everyone is not confusing this with Phen Phen. Before any one speaks out about it I think research should be done. I was seeing as doctor monthly, a personal trainer and nutritionalist. I did a lot of research before I decided to take it. I have been off of it for a while now and the weight continues to stay off. Yes, you are right, if we eat like that and exercise daily we can take off the weight! But I tried for MANY MANY years to do it on my own and it was very hard, the weight just kept getting worse! The pill curved my appetite until I got in the habit of eating right and exercising regularly. In my case, I know I could not have done it on my own. But like I said, it is not for everyone and the doctor will tell you the truth! He denied my friend because she has high blood pressure, I do not recommend taking it without the supervision of a doctor.
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    I am a registered nurse and I am NOT confused about this drug, I was involved in the research into the heart valve disorders that presented in people who had been prescribed it, back in the late 1990's in the UK.

What concerns me most is that British people may read posts extolling this drug and will buy it online, with no medical supervision and no guarantee it is even the genuine medication.

I appreciate the health service is completely different in America and as long as people taking this drug are doing it under the care of a qualified doctor, then fine.

But I still personally think that 5 - 6 small meals a day and exercise is a far safer method.
  • bmuelling07
    Options
    I tried to get my dr. to prescribe it to me but he told me it was unsafe and he didn't prescribe it and didn't know anyone who did. He also mentioned that he would have to check my heart and I have a family history of hypertension PLUS my blood pressure that day had been high because I had taken a stacker 3 that day. He also mentioned that I have lost about 30lbs since '08.
    I wish that I could get phentermine because I have SUCH a big problem with eating when I'm not hungry. I almost need to be on a diet pill that makes me look at food and cringe unless I am actually hungry.
  • amg22
    amg22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need a different doctor. Phentermine is for people who are clinically obese. You weigh 145 which is very healthy unless you are extremely short. Your doctor never should have prescribed that for you.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    FYI It seems like there is some misinformation of sorts in this thread.

The heart valve problems of the 90s were related to the Phen-Fen combination, of which the Fenfluramine was diagnosed as creating the heart problems. Fenfluramine is no longer prescribed. Phentermine is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fen-phen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phentermine
    http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4151-Phentermine+Oral.aspx?drugid=4151&drugname=Phentermine+Oral&source=1

However, as there are side effects with ANY drug, you MUST have a competent doctor, be honest with him and with yourself, and watch closely, especially as dosages are adjusted. I did a LOT of research on this myself (on reliable websites, not hearsay, although opinions were good..but a LOT of sites are PROMO'ing phentermine, so be careful), before I started to take phentermine. I lost 20 pounds in 3 months on it 5 years ago. The dr would not re-prescribe, and I gained it back. It KILLED my appetite completely. And yes, I was plenty overweight enough to take it.

I tried taking it again 1 1/2 years ago. Within a week, a previously undiagnosed heart defect (NOT CAUSED BY THE PHEN!!!) became apparent. The docs said it was not caused by the phentermine. I'd had it all my life. But at that point, I decided never to take another weight loss drug of ANY KIND again. I had heart surgery to repair the heart defect and it's been fine since.

And wow, was I impressed with my 20 pounds in 3 months. Pshaw!! I lost almost 20 pounds in 2 1/2 months by diet and exercise!! And this will stick.

There are people who take various drugs that have life threatening reactions and various side effects to them, including aspirin, sinus meds, caffeine, Tylenol, Effexor, and every other drug out there. You have to weigh the risks, and listen to your doctor and monitor yourself. No one here has given you a physical as well as having an MD. One size for ANYTHING does not fit all. I have been on various antidepressants throughout my life. Sometimes they have worked great, sometimes for awhile, sometimes not at all, sometimes for a long while....and every one of these has given SOME other people terrible side effects...but not me.

Be careful and good luck. For ME, this is working right now.
  • savannahgur
    savannahgur Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have talked to different weight loss clinics around areas i have lived and all of them will give you Phentermine to help you lose weight through their programs..However, I do not suggest it, you have to tell your body your not hungry and just get up and do something else. Drink some water, take a nice walk, go play with your animals..do something.

The drugs are great for people who have no other alternatives but I think that as long as you put your mind towards goals that are realistic for you, you will achieve it.

Good luck.