Gluten free friends.

Options
Here's the quick rundown.
Started reading a book called "Wheat Belly". Found the information very interesting.
Decided to try gluten free for 2 weeks to see if I felt different (and maybe get back on track of losing weight).
I'm one week in and realized I'm much less hungry without wheaty carbs in my life and I've lost 2.0lb without working out.
(Not because I'm lazy, because I work two jobs and go to school = no time)

Before any of you say "Don't buy into the big corporation "gluten free" movement, defy the man, don't follow the trend!", the author actually suggests NOT buying everything labeled "gluten free" because the alternatives to wheat flour can spike your blood sugar more. Instead make healthy choices and understand what you're putting into your body.

Anyway, just looking for fellow MFP buddies in the same boat, or eating gluten free for actual allergy reasons.
I'd love support, recipes, and meal ideas.

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    add me. I try to eat regular foods and stay bread , potatoes,rice and pasta free. I avoid a lot of glutens this way.
  • shaney13
    shaney13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    please add me, too. when i eat GF I lose weight and have NO PMS! a miracle! just gotta stick with it!
  • KittiesSong
    Options
    I HAVE to eat gluten free because of Celiac disease... not an easy thing to do when you are really poor and love food!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like. I eat gluten free to prevent migraines!
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this, as I am constantly bloated, and wheat seems to trigger overeating, for me... Adding you!
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can add me. Half of our family is gluten free due to allergies and intolerance, myself included.
  • PBandJ_Panda
    Options
    I have a wheat intolerance! My stomach hurts really bad and I lose a bunch of weight if I eat it :( A lot of alternatives like are corn tortillas instead of bread (gluten free breads are gross! ahaha) and I like oatmeal instead of cereal in the morning, or Greek yogurt or eggs :) Also I eat a lot more sweet potatoes now too :D They're so yummy and so easy to add to dinner or to take with you on the go (if you like the skin you can eat it like a hot dog lol) I also really like putting almond butter or peanut butter on apple slices for a snack instead of toast and pb. A really good gluten free company is Enjoy Life.:)
  • shawneemom
    Options
    Hello - I'm reading how gluten affects my thyroid (I have struggled for years with ups and downs.) I am going to start to eat gluten free tomorrow. Please add me - I will need all the support I can get!
  • dede39
    dede39 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try to eat gluten free because I have hyperthyroid and hashimtotos. It can be a real pain in the butt. But my belly feels better. Add me if you like.
  • Stephy0519
    Stephy0519 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed gluten intolerant...oh, 7 years ago. My blood test didn't pick up full on Celiac back then. However, my doctor wants me retested because I've been exhibiting dermatitis (yea!) from any kind of "cheat" I have--even soy sauce. So, I've completely changed my eating from keeping a gluten free kitchen at home--which I have for years--to a gluten free life. No more "oh yea, I'll have a piece of regular pizza and deal with the effects for a few days...."

I eat TONS of potatoes, rice and rice pastas. I do not limit my carbs. I just avoid gluten. Also, some gluten free breads ARE good--Udi's makes decent ones. Sweet potato tortilla chips are SOOO good, too. I've also learned what places say gluten free and MEAN gluten free when eating out!

Eating out is hard...just because it says grilled or "gluten free dough", does not mean it's gluten free. ESPECIALLY at a pizza place!
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I think I am gluten intolerant. I avoid it as I can, and regret when I can't / don't. Feel free to add me also
  • EMSchell2009
    EMSchell2009 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have recently gone gluten free because I seem to be gluten intolerant. My doctor is fairly certain that I may have Celiacs but due to money constraints, I have decided to simply cut it out and consider it done. I am enjoying the challenge in my kitchen as I am also vegetarian and try to keep the eggs and cheese to a minimum. I"cheated" one time and felt terrible so quickly I was never tempted to again. Nice to meet everyone.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't have celiacs, but I eat gluten free because I have noticed that my body feels so much better. Also my hormones seem to be more in check when I do. I don't really any "gluten free" products, but just eat a lot of whole foods that don't have gluten
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    What have you found as a quick lunch (microwavable is fine)
    I have been staying away from gluten but had a lean cuisine for lunch and feel like garbage! (noodles) But they are so convenient , fast, and pretty cheap for a work day lunch.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    I read the book as well but haven't done as great of a job. I still eat sugar here and there (like my andes mint)....been doing good on not eating wheat but I may slip once or twice as I've been craving nachos.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    Agreed.

When I get rid of grains, I feel a lot better and once I bring it back (depending what and how much) I can get real sick.
    I try to eat gluten free because I have hyperthyroid and hashimtotos. It can be a real pain in the butt. But my belly feels better. Add me if you like.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Ayone doing this please add me. I want to try gluten free as I have been reading about how it affects our systems. I am looking for any support or meal ideas! Thanks :)
  • EMSchell2009
    EMSchell2009 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Three Bakers make wonderful breads. The ancient grains version is totally awesome and the rye style is decent too. Also I take Udi's buns with me to fast food places and order sandwiches (check about additives) without the bun. THen I take out my bun and make my own sandwich.