protein intake

Options
Hi, how much protein can your body really digest at one time?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As much as you can put in it. I frequently consume 50-60g's per meal.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is around 130 grams.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    BioLayne Video Log 4 - Myths About Protein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Im considering switching to a high protein diet. Anyone know besides chicken breast and tuna, where i can get the most amount of protein to calorie ratio. Taste is not an issue, i would eat dirt if it had tons of protein. Please dont mention nut butters, beans, and eggs. looking for low cal/fat.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Im considering switching to a high protein diet. Anyone know besides chicken breast and tuna, where i can get the most amount of protein to calorie ratio. Taste is not an issue, i would eat dirt if it had tons of protein. Please dont mention nut butters, beans, and eggs. looking for low cal/fat.

Steak has my vote. But you can add bison, chicken, pork, duck, protein powders. Also, why do you want low calorie and low fat? Fat is really good for you and improves a lot of bodily functions. Heck, I get lots of protein and I eat 2400 calories a day and I am 31, 5'11, 183 lbs, desk job and workout 5-6 hours a week.
  • nytrifisoul
    Options

Steak has my vote. But you can add bison, chicken, pork, duck, protein powders. Also, why do you want low calorie and low fat? Fat is really good for you and improves a lot of bodily functions. Heck, I get lots of protein and I eat 2400 calories a day and I am 31, 5'11, 183 lbs, desk job and workout 5-6 hours a week.

I suppose I want to add as much protein as i can without changing my meal habits too much. I was looking into these protein shakes called pro 50 or something....one of them has 50g protein 0 fat and 240 cal, just wondering if theres something even better out there.

I havent had bison in years, had a great recipe for bison burgers, another protein i havent had in awhile is ostrich.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I suppose I want to add as much protein as i can without changing my meal habits too much. I was looking into these protein shakes called pro 50 or something....one of them has 50g protein 0 fat and 240 cal, just wondering if theres something even better out there.

I havent had bison in years, had a great recipe for bison burgers, another protein i havent had in awhile is ostrich.

For me I rather eat than drink. Whey is very fast digesting and I end up hungry within 30 minutes. I would add a bit kore meat in your diet and dont be afraid of fats...
  • naurugirl
    naurugirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Two words for you: cottage cheese. The one I eat (2% fat) is 14g protein per 90 cal serving and relatively cheap.
  • nytrifisoul
    Options
    Thing is i dont eat breakfast because frankly im not hungry when i wake up (7:30 ) I dont even get an appetite till after 1pm. My lunch is usually under 250 calories, and i either eat a big dinner and a small bedtime snack or a normal dinner and a big bedtime snack. This is my routine and it works for me. I just want to add more protein where i can. I could probably force down a high protein shake in the morning.

I love 1% cottage cheese and tuna from straight out the can. Way better then using mayo.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's really a standard number, but when I was eating too few carbs and too much protein and healthy fats, I was experiencing some digestive issues. I think if you stick to your macros, you've got nothing to worry about. If you're thinking of a high-protein diet, I'm sure you can find some online guides to determine new macros.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thing is i dont eat breakfast because frankly im not hungry when i wake up (7:30 ) I dont even get an appetite till after 1pm. My lunch is usually under 250 calories, and i either eat a big dinner and a small bedtime snack or a normal dinner and a big bedtime snack. This is my routine and it works for me. I just want to add more protein where i can. I could probably force down a high protein shake in the morning.

I love 1% cottage cheese and tuna from straight out the can. Way better then using mayo.

It's not necessary to eat breakfast. Just make your lunch bigger. How many calories do you eat in a day? I only saw one day logged and I sure hope that isn't a typical day because 1200 calories or an active male is a recipe for muscle loss.