jimmy johns and subway

Options
i know jimmy john's is a lot worse for you but tastes so much better than bland subway. anyone know any other good tasting places to eat that aren't bad for you?

i used to go to panera bread than i read its not that great for you, theres other new places popping up. like Five guys burgers, and Olgas Kitchen.

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by "aren't bad for you"?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well five guys is delicious, but there's no way I could ever fit it in my daily calories. Panera Bread has a lot of decent options though. Never had Jimmy John but I'd definitely fit some of that in my day.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat Jason's Deli, Potbelly, Which which, and subway alot. I make a few modifications to the sandwich and generally have no problem going under my calories. e.g. avoid fatty dressing, I just use hot sauce or nothing

Jason's deli if you have one you can go the soup and salad route as well. Avoid or use only a little dressing and cheese to make it healthier.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    At Jimmy Johns you can ask them to pull out the bulk of the bread (like hollow out the bun) and it reduces calories by a ton. Jimmy Johns is the best sandwich place, hands down.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    At Jimmy Johns you can ask them to pull out the bulk of the bread (like hollow out the bun) and it reduces calories by a ton. Jimmy Johns is the best sandwich place, hands down.
    since getting back into good eating habits i usually just go to subway, once in a while jimmy's is awesome. i dind't know you can ask them to take out the bulk of the bread.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    since getting back into good eating habits i usually just go to subway, once in a while jimmy's is awesome. i dind't know you can ask them to take out the bulk of the bread.

That sounds like such a waste though.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Make your sandwiches at home. Good for you and your wallet
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's will also do an "unwich," making pretty much any sandwich on a lettuce wrap. The great thing is that you can build it on their website and log very easily.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

That sounds like such a waste though.

Hell yeah that's a waste.

Erbert & Gertbert's hollows out their subs but they put it on top of their subs before wrapping them up. It's perfect for dipping in their soup. nom nom nom nom nom
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness...Jimmy Johns is THE BEST!!!!!!! drooooooool
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It's better if you make your own - then you know exactly what's in it! Most restaurants have something healthy on the menu - of course, YOU CAN EAT WHATEVER YOU DAMN WELL PLEASE...the trick is making your choices fit within your daily caloric limit.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I cant pass up a $5 sub that'll get me two meals.
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Panera? It's soup and sandwiches. They have all their calories listed on the menu, too. I love that place.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Panera? It's soup and sandwiches. They have all their calories listed on the menu, too. I love that place.

a lot of the options that you think are "healthy" are actually calorie bombs....which most people do not realize...
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    It's better if you make your own - then you know exactly what's in it! Most restaurants have something healthy on the menu - of course, YOU CAN EAT WHATEVER YOU DAMN WELL PLEASE...the trick is making your choices fit within your daily caloric limit.
    lol

i know its just i was also in weight watchers and the things i learned there sometimes don't mix with this website. one helpful thing was that all fruits and vegetables are ok, with the point system you can eat as much as you possibly can want.

but one thing, for me mostly is that i'm trying to avoid gluten, as with me it can make me really tired and anxious. like for breakfast if i have a bowl of cereal or pancakes i will sometimes be ready to go right back to sleep. its weird.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options

a lot of the options that you think are "healthy" are actually calorie bombs....which most people do not realize...

Only if they ignore the calories listed right there on the menu.

I enjoy Panera, especially their summer menu.
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Subway's really not that bad, if you know what you're doing. And don't care about sodium a heck of a lot, I guess.
    They also have an app on their Facebook page where you can build a sub and get all the nutritional information.

That said, a LOT of stuff there is terrible for you. Don't be stupid and you're fine.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's Turkey Tom no mayo isn't bad for you at all. You can even go light on the turkey. They have great nutrition builder online. Otherwise I say just pack your own sandwich if that's what you want.
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tell Jimmy John's to hold the mayo and suddenly the veggie and turkey subs aren't that bad. I hold the cheese on my turkey and get hot peppers instead - a great sandwich.

Now where I get into trouble is the chips. I'm a potato chip'oholic.

Subway is nice b/c they have Baked Lays.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to how often do you eat JJ/Subway. I'm all for eating "healthy" & real whole foods, frutis veggies etc, but I think nothing to down a JJ sub almost every Friday for lunch. It really isnt a big deal at all.