11lb in Four Days?!

Options
I weighed myself four days ago and I was happy to discover I'd lost a bit of weight since my last weigh in, they told me I'd dropped down to 159lb, my lowest in a long time. I was thrilled!!
However, I moved my scales to vaccuum today and placed them back in their usual spot, popped on and they are now reading me as being 170lbs! I am gutted. I don't know whether it's the new positioning, but it's really knocked me knowing I am massively heavier than I thought I was.

Replies

• mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You've probably just dislodged something, or moved the dial - it was definitely on "zero"? Think about it - one pound equals 3500 calories. Did you eat 38500 calories in the last 4 days, and not burn any calories?

Probably not :)

Maybe just double check the scale is on a level surface??? Just guessing here.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My scales do this. I move them around the house until I get the same reading a few times and I know it's that one. Alternatively I did get in the habit of going on a pharmacy scale when I was really focused. It usually costs so stops you from weighing yourself too much.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Did you try weighting something with a finite weight and seeing what the scale says? (like putting a lb bag of something on it and seeing if it really says it's 1 lb?)

Did you weigh yourself nekked at the same time of day?
  • DasGoff
    DasGoff Posts: 55
    Options
    It's the end of the day but this morning when I weighed myself I was the weight my MFP says I am, 159lbs, then tonight reweighed myself after vacuuming to check that it was in the same position and it read that I was 10lb heavier, regardless of where I moved it. Feel a bit daft because I am part of a online weight loss competition and am going to have to revoke my recent loss if this is my actual weight.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    who is "They told you" you lost quite a bit of weight? maybe their scale-assuming you were at doc's, is different then your home scale?
  • DasGoff
    DasGoff Posts: 55
    Options
    who is "They told you" you lost quite a bit of weight? maybe their scale-assuming you were at doc's, is different then your home scale?

"they" as in my scales. Both weights were recorded on my set of scales. ^_^
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If it's a digital scale, try taking out the battery, then putting it back in OR putting in a new battery.
  • Kukenan
    Kukenan Posts: 44
    Options
    That's why you should weight at the same time every day. Throughout the day, eating and drinking, you will gain weight. For fun, the last month or so I've been weighting every day, morning and evening. I don't recommend this, unless you can accept the fact that trehe are daily fluctuations. The most weight I've 'gained' over the day is 4 pounds. This is after I've gotten ready to sleep, so after I've gone to the toilet. It is entirely possible that what you ate and drank made you 'gain' weight. I would sugest weighting yourself in the morning, before eating. That way you will have the same conditions everytime and it will be the most accurate. Also it will most likely be lower than if you weight yourself in the evening, and you'll feel better! :)
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your scale is digital or not..but mine require recalibrating if I move them. Mine you simply step on and off and a little box drives across the screen and it's all recalibrated. Check your owners manual to see if you must recalibrate yours.

Also..LOL..this is why they say don't weigh daily! Sorry had to say it :D
  • vickiecarr78
    Options
    Are you working out? When I did heavy workouts with weights and classes(too much, too fast!!!) my body FREAKED OUT and I picked up about 10 pounds of water...and then it went back down.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If u weighed in the morning the 1st time, weight tomorrow morning... My weight goes up by about 4 or 5 lbs from morning to night... Best time 2 weigh is 1st thing in the morning, after u pee...
  • benoz11
    Options
    Just a few tips: Your weight can fluctuate a lot over the course of the day (I am 74kg in the morning, 77 at night) as food and water in your stomach add to your weight, but not necessarily your fat levels. 1L of water weighs 1kg. One thing I noticed when I started losing weight was a rapid loss early on, I figured it was most likely just because I was eating less, I had less food in me at any given time and so weighed less, without having lost any "weight" (fat).

Weigh yourself at the same time every day, keep track of the averages over the weeks.
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So did you weigh yourself in the morning and get 159 and then in the evening and get 170?
    Weigh yourself at the same time every day. I weigh myself for my official weight right after I wake up, naked after I have potty'd. It is normal to pick up pounds during the day with food, strength training and water. Moving the scale may have made it unlevel as well.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    It's the end of the day but this morning when I weighed myself I was the weight my MFP says I am, 159lbs, then tonight reweighed myself after vacuuming to check that it was in the same position and it read that I was 10lb heavier, regardless of where I moved it. Feel a bit daft because I am part of a online weight loss competition and am going to have to revoke my recent loss if this is my actual weight.

you weight more at end of day becuase you have food, liquids, etc in your body from eating and drinking all day ..

you should always weigh yourself at same time every day ...most people - myself included - prefer weighing in in AM before breakfast...
  • littlemissyme
    Options
    It could just be one of those unexplainable things your never going to know the answer to. I have one of those too. I always way more on a Monday morning then I do any other day of the week. If I weigh 173 on Sunday I'll weigh 177 or more on Monday then I'll be back to 173 on Tuesday. Go figure :ohwell:
  • bernard559
    bernard559 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    don"t be discouraged it happens.If I offend you right now im sorry but here's some truth for women if this is what is happening to you. during and about like 2 days before you start your femine cycle you gain weight.my wife stays away from the scale during those days. the best way to keep track of your weight is as soon as you wake and go to the restroom.hope this helps.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Try weighing a controlled weight on your scale. Weigh something you know the weight of and that will at least show you how far your weight is off or if it is accurate. Then you can adjust when weighing yourself. Or just weight yourself on another scale just for comparison....( I've done that at the store where I bought my scale)....:wink:
  • homlad
    homlad Posts: 6
    Options
    Ditto on the testing the scale with a known weight. Also, I wouldn't trust a home scale all that much, especially if it's a spring loaded dial scale, it's tension can change etc. Most locker rooms will have a scale with a slide on them, which are much more accurate if properly maintained. There you will also have a 50lb barbell you can test it's accuracy with.
  • heva__x
    heva__x Posts: 14
    Options
    I can't use my scales I have at home because I can never find a level surface. In one room I'm 130lbs and in another room I'm 140lbs lol, don't stress. Best to weigh yourself outwith the home if you keep having these problems.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    If you moved it to vaccum - are you on carpet? My scale has bogus swings in readings when it's on carpet. I recommend finding a hard surface and testing it out.