Lumpy oatmeal thighs...do they EVER go away?

Options
Hello,
I have had cellulite on my thighs for as long as I can remember...even before I gained some weight. My question is does this ever go away???? It's really hard to feel comfortable in swim suit...and I already don't wear shorts. Any suggestions on how to get rid of?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Reduction in body fat will reduce the appearance of cellulite.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    I had pretty embarrassing cellulite on my thighs/back of my legs
    Took a long time and consistent cardio and strength training (like over a year)
    But now I am starting to really like my legs!
    Summit climber, spinning, rowing.
    Squats, dead lifts, lunges, leg press, etc.
    You got this.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is not a sign of being overweight. It's a sign of being female. Take a look at the un-airbrushed pics of even the fittest celebrities and you will see quite a lot with cellulite. Until the commercial diet market got their claws into it cellulite was not even considered a flaw. It's just another female trait.

Learn to love the skin you're in. I'm currently at just under 22% body fat and consider myself pretty darn fit. I wear short shorts and a bikini with pride....stretch marks, cellulite, bad tan lines, and all.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have cellulite, and honestly........ I don't know. I know that slow, steady loss through a very small defect, and lots and lots of strength exercise (more strength, less cardio) aids in lessening the appearance.

Last year I was down below my goal, unfortunately it was due to sad family circumstances I was undereating and not healthy, but even below goal the lumps were there. I have heard a lot of people say that it may take two or three times as long as the initial weight loss (yes it could take a year or two) but if you strength train, and eat good, it will diminish! Keep it up!
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of jump squats and other plyo-type exercises and have seen an noticeable improvement with the cellulite on my thighs.
  • imp8tient1
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments, sounds like I am going to have this for a long time. I have been doing quite a bit of strength training since April this year. That's when I started getting fit again. So I'll see what happens. I feel so much better exercising anyways, that I won't stop if the bumps don't go away.
  • GenerouslyEm
    GenerouslyEm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I workout, eat healthy, and still have some cellulite and have stretch marks from a growth spurt when I was 13. I regularly get discouraged when those 'flaws' don't go away. It was nice to read that it's a normal female attribute and not something I'm cursed with haha
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    The best way to get rid of cellulite is to wear cute jeans. Really, why worry about it? Do what you can, but if you still have a little cellulite after it's all said and done, it's not a huge flaw. Dress for your body, you'll always have things you don't like. I'm female and I'm over 40, so yeah, my upper arms and thighs are pretty much always covered. Our bodies aren't perfect, and focusing on our imperfections can make us miss it when we've got them into good shape. :bigsmile:
  • Kgirlbball5
    Options
    i do to, and im trying to rid them with squat lunges ect. You can do This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is not a sign of being overweight. It's a sign of being female. Take a look at the un-airbrushed pics of even the fittest celebrities and you will see quite a lot with cellulite. Until the commercial diet market got their claws into it cellulite was not even considered a flaw. It's just another female trait.

Learn to love the skin you're in. I'm currently at just under 22% body fat and consider myself pretty darn fit. I wear short shorts and a bikini with pride....stretch marks, cellulite, bad tan lines, and all.

This exactly!

Never be ashamed of anything about your body.

I have always had cellulite and it's....well....just there. Nobody pays that much attention, and if they do that's their thing.
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    I have female relatives that swear by using a rolling pin on cellulite. They have none now (both in 50's and 60's).
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I also, have had awful cellulite my entire life. Even when I was 120 lbs. I still avoided shorts because of my cellulite. I have no started p90x and even though I'm 150lbs I have noticed a great decrease in cellulite....can't wait until I finish the program to see the end results!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I know that when I was really fit a few years ago that mine looked so much better.

BUT... this is crazy, but I have to get it off my chest :D Mine's gotten worse with my very recent awesome results with weight training! It'll get much better, I'm sure. But right now I'm at a point where my muscles are so tight and the skin pulls more strangely on them than it's used to. Weird, huh?!

The fat pockets I have other places are odd, looser textures too so I'm sure it's just how fat must go away. But I wasn't expecting to look worse for a while! I'm like: New muscle line---Cellulite---New muscle dent---Fat pocket, lol.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine when my body fat was abnormally low. Now that my bf is average...meh, I've got a sarong. :happy:
  • CelluliteBlaster
    Options
    Despite the fact that there are dozens of supposed ‘cellulite reduction creams’ on the market, there is no possible way for any one of them, no matter how expensive, to get rid of your cellulite. Cellulite is not a skin problem. It's an underlying structural issue, that can only be corrected by reversing the cause of atrophied muscle fibers directly beneath your trouble spots.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My thighs look 100x better than they once did. That said, I am on the very low side of my BMI range and I still have some dimples of cellulite. It made my mother laugh when I told her about it. I've made peace with it. If it isn't gone by now, it won't ever be.
  • GreekGoddess7319
    Options
    I have female relatives that swear by using a rolling pin on cellulite. They have none now (both in 50's and 60's).

Um . . . Could you please explain this? Do they just roll out the fat pockets for five minutes a day or something like that? I'd definitely like to give this one a try.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I hope so!!!! I started biking and my legs have slimmed down a lot, but they've got a ways to go! I'm sure I'll never have perfect legs, but I'd love to be in short shorts next summer! Wait... I WILL be in short shorts next summer!!
  • polluxy
    polluxy Posts: 31
    Options
    When I was 50 lbs heavier I had a lot of cellulite. Today I still have a little bit, but not enough to make me self-conscious in a bikini. :)
    Aside from the weight loss, I think a few things helped minimize its appearance:

--Cycling. My legs transformed when I took this up on a regular basis.
    --Strength training. I would guess that putting on a bit of muscle on your lower half might make the existing fat sort of 'smush out' more...but I've got no backup for this other than it seemed to make a difference to me.
    --Heated environments. I started doing Bikram yoga and also using a sauna more frequently, and cellulite appeared reduced. Again, not really sure if there's any scientific cause for this.

Good luck. I've read that cellulite is largely genetic, so some of us might just be SOL. But rest assured, you're not alone in this issue!
  • toni5363
    toni5363 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We are women and women have cellulite. There's no stopping it. It doesn't matter if you lose the weight the cellulite will always be there. Yes, it may not be so apparant, but it is still seen. Like one of the ladies said "love the skin you're in". Women just have more fatty tissue than men. I am sorta new to mfp, but I'm loving it. This is my first post and I really enjoyed reading the comments.