Breast feeding moms?

Options
Hi Everyone!

I am brand new to myfitnesspal. I just had a baby June 2013 and I am trying to shed my baby weight. I have 22lbs to get to my pre-pregnancy weight and then an extra 10 to get to my ultimate goal. Myfitnesspal says I have to eat 1200 calories but I'm wondering if any of you know how to tell myfitnesspal that I am nursing? I have to eat more calories than that to keep my milk supply up for my son.

Help would be appreciated!

Thank you :)

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I think you can select breastfeeding someplace. But overall, you need an additional 500 calories a day.

Congrats on your baby! Feel free to add me if you're looking for more friends
    Nancy
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    under food you can select breastfeeding and there are different options for how often you are breastfeeding. I would pick at least the -500 calorie one. That means you can eat 1200 + 500 = 1700 calories plus whatever you burn with exercise you should eat at least half back. I did this and have met my goal weight. My baby is now a year and a half old and only nurses a few times a day so I have lowered my calories to -200. Welcome and pm me if any questions!
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    When I was nursing, I would add it under breakfast so it would deduct the calories first thing. I believe you can type in "breastfeeding" and it will give you some different options. Just choose the best one that fits how much you nurse. Also, MFP tends to give everyone 1200 calories and I am pretty sure it is going to be too low for you. I suggest you look here for your bmr: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ or do a search here on MFP about how to calculate your calories. Good luck and congratulations on your baby!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    A moderate weight loss would be recommended; don't try to lose too fast while breast-feeding... You are not only feeding yourself but also your infant. By all means, you want to be healthy.. and there will be times when you can rev it up a bit. Right now, baby is job one while also taking care of yourself. Congrats on your new addition.
  • lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'll double up with what every one said, add about 500 calories for breastfeeding, and eat back about half your exercise calories. It can be a little harder to lose weight when you are nursing, don't let that discourage you! Make sure you are drinking plenty of water!
  • mehuberdeau
    mehuberdeau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI, I had a baby girl in July and I am also nursing. Exactly as someone else said, if you type in breastfeeding you'll have some options come up. I use the 500 cal option and I always put it down for breakfast so I don't forget.
  • SoCalApe
    SoCalApe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all so much!
  • NewspaperMomma
    NewspaperMomma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    kay, you don't need to eat 500 plus calories just because your nursing, depending how far along you are with your new baby,

if its still early in the wee weeks, say under 3 months, then you can probably get away with 200 extra calories and not hurt your milk supply, why I say this, is because when you were pregnant, your body stored all the fat it needed to produce milk for a few months, hence why some women gain like 50 pounds when they're pregnant. << I did and I did eat unhealthy at all, I ate the odd cookie, and some cake here and there, but it wasn't like every week.

Im a breastfeeding mom, of two kids. (only nursing one) and I do the 1200 calories a day, and add the breastfeeding under my cardio workouts.

to add it under your workout. (and then eat your nursing calories) its simple, go to Exercise tab, and under the Exercise tab you can Create and Exercise, and add your breastfeeding.

to really know what you need to consume for breastfeeding,
    Go to Apps tab, and Click on BMI calculator, and ffind out if you have Extra fat reserve, and then id eat on the low 300-500 extra calories, because if you eat the 500 extra calories and you gained a LARGE fat reserve you probably wont loose anything, and then after that click on the BMR calculator, and see what that calculator says. (basic motalic rate.) and then start with those.

usually to loose weight, you should eat 300 less then BMR calculator. and if you have a fat reserve from your pregnancy. you can probably go with 100 less. (is what I did) I have a milk supply my baby is two months old. and we have no problems.