I went over on sodium. HELP!

Options
So I was out with my aunt today, and we had a very active day. Anyways, we went to chipotle, and when I got home, I talleyd up all my food, and I accidentally took in 4000 sodium for the day. Could this raise my blood pressure?! I don't have high blood pressure. So is water retaining just gonna happen? How do I get rid of it?!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Drink more water and start a new log tomorrow
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So I was out with my aunt today, and we had a very active day. Anyways, we went to chipotle, and when I got home, I talleyd up all my food, and I accidentally took in 4000 sodium for the day. Could this raise my blood pressure?! I don't have high blood pressure. So is water retaining just gonna happen? How do I get rid of it?!
    I had high blood pressure (188/115) last year.
    I ate 4000 mg of sodium last weekend one day. I usually try to keep it under 2000.
    When I checked my BP that day and the next (I check it twice daily usually) , guess what?
    118/76 58 BPM.
    This has happened several times.
    For me at least, losing 40 lbs and getting back in shape controlled my BP.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    counter act it with 4000 of sugar!
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about one day; it's hardly going to make a difference in the long run unless you're ingesting enough sodium to actually poison yourself. Don't beat yourself up about it, and instead learn from it. And if you are worried, drink a bunch of water to help counteract it. No biggie.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it so much. That happens when you eat a lot of fast and/or packaged foods. Just make sure to watch your intake in the future.
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    *throws life preserver*

Don't worry about it. It will just cause temporary bloating. No big! :)
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    You need sodium so don’t get too worried, not everyone gets high blood pressure from too much, those that are at risk are those who have additional health risks i.e. issues with kidneys, heart conditions etc ( from fluid build up). And this can be managed by a reduction in sodium intake through diet and/or medication..

You need to consider the management of this, (with out the intervention from your doctor unless you have underlying health issues) which could be diet, restriction of fluid intake.

I tend to go running and sweat the fluid out… but that’s my preference….

Knowing that it's not a life style for you to have such a high level constantly then I guess it's easy to rectify....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about one day; it's hardly going to make a difference in the long run unless you're ingesting enough sodium to actually poison yourself. Don't beat yourself up about it, and instead learn from it. And if you are worried, drink a bunch of water to help counteract it. No biggie.

This.
  • bonjourjackie
    bonjourjackie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. One day won't hurt you. Just make sure you drink a lot of water and DO NOT step on the scale tomorrow. Because all that excess sodium will make you retain water weight and you can "gain" a few pounds from that.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Troll