Protein powder dilemma!

Options
Hey guys
So I've read that I should have two scoops (servings) of whey after a workout. I'm a little sceptical because according to the shake cup, I'm consuming almost 4 ounces. Isn't that too much?

Replies

• AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    2 scoops, no

you should have a minimum total amount of protein a day.
  • cbc937
    cbc937 Posts: 15
    Options
    you can do two scoops, but there are several factors.

1) food is a better source of protein and youre suppose to be eating a meal at least 1 hour after a shake, so there goes 30-45g of protein in that meal, which means with in 1 hour and a half you consumed roughly 90g of protein give or take, which a rookie wouldnt use because the amino acids wouldnt reach the skeleton frame

2) your total protein intake for the day should be X amount, that should be reached spread out evenly over 5 - 8 meals depending on how you do it ( shakes included as meals )

Ive been any where from 180 - 240 weight wise and have done 3 shakes a day @ 2 scoops per to where im at now which is

2 meals with whey ( oatmeal + protein ) and 1 for post-workout which is = 3 scoops per day, 1 scoop each time. Rest is food.

breakfast I do 1/2 cup oats + whey ( catabolic stat and want it digested quickly )

pre-workout 1 hour before same as above for energy levels consistent in gym + amino acids and insulin levels along with 2 scoops PB for healthy fats

post - same as above without PB ( dont need fats )

along with Eggs ( 5 whites ) - Fish 7 oz - Chicken 7 oz
    Avocado ( fats )
    Broccoli ( carbs / fiber )
    Spinach ( carbs / fiber )
    Sweet Potato ( carbs )
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    powder is just a convenience thing --- if you're able to hit your macros using whole food then keep doing that.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I have 1 scoop - that has been the general guideline on any powder I've had.
  • mowmi
    mowmi Posts: 14
    Options
    It's as a meal substitute, I usually eat six times a day, about 200/300 calories per meal
    So one scoop then?
  • mowmi
    mowmi Posts: 14
    Options
    Okay! Even as a meal sub?
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The amount of protein in each scoop differs greatly from brand to brand. You shouldn't worry about scoops as much as you should worry about grams of protein. My current powder is 30g per scoop. The brand I used before was 16g. Also,depending on my day I may only go with a partial scoop. So figure out how much protein you need for a day and adjust as needed.