What's your running success story?

Options
Leigh_b
Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
Two years ago this past Sunday I ran my first half marathon. I had been running for about 4 months. When I stood at the starting line I had two goals in mind. The first was to finish the race. The second was to run the whole time. I didn’t care how slow I was going; I was not going to walk. There were times along the way that people were walking faster than I was running. Coming out of the Windsor Tunnel at an extreme incline I think, for a while, I was running in place. I could see the literal light at the end of the tunnel, but it was not getting any closer. I finished in 2 hours, 31 minutes, and 43 seconds (an 11:30 min/mile pace). Crossing the finish line was one of the most amazing moments of my life. I had set out to do something REALLY HARD, I committed to it and I pushed myself harder and further than I ever thought I could go… and I did it. I was so proud of myself; I couldn’t wait to do it again…

And then I spent the next day limping around and barely able to walk. Yes, I pushed myself, but now I needed to recover. It took almost a week and a half before I felt back to normal again.

Fast forward to October 20th 2013 (this past Sunday)… I ran my 7th half marathon. I finished in 1 hour 59 minutes and 26 seconds (a 9:07 min/mile pace), and that wasn’t even my best time (I ran a half marathon 4 weeks ago and finished in 1:56:23 - a 8:54 min/mile pace). I got up this morning feeling great. Got out of bed and headed downstairs to let Jillian Michaels torture me a bit before heading to work… and on my long traffic-filled commute I began to think about how much I’ve accomplished these past few years and what it has taken to make it all happen:

commitment, consistency, diligence, will-power, stupidity, failure, disappointment, determination, discipline, strength, perseverance, persistence, grit, drive, courage and the steadfast belief that I could accomplish anything I set my mind to.

I have learned the importance of a foam roller, orthotics, and body glide. I know which flavors of Gu I like best and which ones make my stomach turn. My running wardrobe includes options for spring, summer and winter and I have a very specific plan for which kind of outfit to wear based on the outdoor temp. I have accumulated more running related gear than I ever knew existed: GPS watch, HRM, hydration belt (with 2 different sized bottles), a head lamp (for those dark cold mornings), yak trax (for those snowy, icy days), headbands, gloves, reflective lights, and special ear buds that won’t come out of my ears while I am running.

The Detroit Marathon offers both a half marathon and a full marathon option. Both groups run together for half the course, when at 13 miles those of us that signed up to run only half the distance turn off to the right to finish the race and the remaining (less sane) group turn off to the left to continue their journey. When I ran the race two years ago, I very definitively told myself that I would NEVER turn left. Running 13.1 miles was hard enough… 26.2 miles would be IMPOSSIBLE. So, this past Sunday as I was making that turn to the right, I had a very different thought in my head and after the race was done and my husband and I were walking back to our car he asked me, “Do you think you will ever run a full marathon.” And my answer? “Yes, probably”.

What a difference 2 years can make.

What's your story?

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Wow... that's a great inspiration to me! A few months ago I completed my first 5K... doing my 2nd this Saturday... and I hope someday to get up to a half marathon. Way to go!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I love to hear this. Running is a passion of mine. I started in 2009 and signed up for my first half marathon. Prior to that I had just start run/walking but two of my sisters and my mom were running half marathons and marathons. I knew, after watching the last marathon, I wanted and needed to do it.

SO in 2009 I ran my first half marathon and loved every second. I finished in 2 hrs, 5 minutes. From there I have increased my speed to a half marathon time of 1:45:46. I did one half marathon trial in marathon prep in which I would have beat that by a few seconds but it doesn't count since it wasn't a race,e xcept against myself :)

I started running marathons in 2011 and have had some struggles. In 2012 I was training for Boston (an 8:35 pace for me) and the marathon was canceled at mile 18 due to heat. I couldn't recover in time to train well for my fall marathon and busted with a time of 4:07. I was not a happy camper.

I have completed 3 full marathons and started one. This past May I had signed up again for a full marathon and injured my knee with 2 weeks left to go. I still crossed the finish line in 4:20 something - I don't even want to know my time - and wanted to cry so bad. At mile 20 when I saw my now-husband I stopped to talkw ith him, considering dropping out because I was in such immense pain. I stopped numerous times to just let my knee rest. But I finished. And I was proud. After working so hard you can't just stop. You can't stop short of somethign you've worked hard for even if it's not ending how you imagined.

I've lost 100 lbs through running. I've gained a stronger, more determined person. Since my injury I haven't been able to race and had to skip a marathon I was registered for. I am not able to start increasing my mileage and my pace again and can't wait to run another marathon.

the spirit of racing, of a marathon, is just amazing. It's a feeling of accomplishment for 26.2 miles (or whatever race distance you choose) as people cheer YOU on.

I WILL qualify for Boston.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    So inspirational! I'm right where you were in the beginning, running just under a 12 minute mile and feeling like there's no way I could ever run more than I do right now. Been running regularly since March 1, and I'm up to three miles 3x per week and 5 miles once on the weekend. I know how much I burn and feel like that's all the running I care to do. But then the questions arise...if I can do 5 miles, couldn't I do 10K? Couldn't I train to go a little faster? I feel like things should flow naturally so I just want to lose more weight and relax into my current time/pace. But maybe one day... :)

Thank you for your story!

Oh, and as to your question, my running success story is that I even went out on that first day of Couch to 5K. It's been an incredible journey so far and I can't wait to see where I go!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    BTW you posting this made me think about all the same feelings you described. Sorry I didn't mention that. Green Bay marathon is set up the same - first 11 miles or so are shared for half/full and I never thought I would run the full at first either.

I'm so glad you shared this. :)
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Went from not being able to run a quarter mile around my apartment to a half-marathon in a year. Dropped 70 lbs before hand.
    Now Im coming back from knee surgery and want to do it again.
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    At 310 pounds, I needed a life change. Why not start running? You only see skinny people run! Right?

Learned that the excess weight I was carrying made it very difficult for me to run in general... and when I was done, my lower back hurt so bad that I was nearly bedridden for days afterwards. Unhappy, to say the very least.

Fast forward to now (well, before my knee injury), and I run a 7 minute mile on a sprint, a 23 minute 5k, and a 50 minute 10k.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The Houston marathon is the same! In January 2013 when all of the only half-crazy people turned left and I had to keep going for ANOTHER 13.1 miles, I decided i was NUTS. I must be, since I'm doing it again in 3 months, and it will be my 3rd full, plus I'm registered for 2 more after that in 2014.

Same ultimate goal as another poster - I WILL qualify for Boston! Everything until then is practice. My next half is this Sunday, and I can't wait. It's my favorite distance.

ETA - I was the same as you, after my first half I was in pain and could barely move for a week! After that, everything else has seemed like no biggie. That first half is a beast to your body, but then the body learns :)
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have about a month to go before my bigger success story *will* be written.
    I started running about a year and a half ago.
    First it was the couch to 5k.
    Accomplished that on the treadmill in about 10 weeks.
    Had my ups and downs, had lots of other health issues going on.
    Then I was diagnosed with a few things that would interrupt my goals.
    Scoliosis, low bone density, some crumbling vertebrae, nothing that was going to stop me though.

I am entered in the mini marathon in Las Vegas next month. It is 6.5(ish) miles. I don't push myself to the max now, I know if I do I would have too much recovery time and not be able to keep training. I am excited because I know I will do better than what I do now, since I give about 80% now.
    The back hurts constantly and with the bone density deal I have constant shin splints, but I feel so accomplished when I run. If I don't puke, pass out, or die.... I keep running.
  • tresmommy86
    tresmommy86 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I completed my first 5K this month on the 13th. The Color Run. I didn't get to run too much since I told a friend I would walk with her since she hurt her Achilles tendon. But I've got another 5K and a breast cancer walk coming up and I plan to do more running. I'm also using my C25K app in the gym and I haven't had to stop once. I'm finally getting to the point of realizing I'm runner. I'm not validated by PTs, races, or even others. I run so I'm a runner. That's the biggest success for me.
  • Leigh_b
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories!!! Running can be such a solitary personal experience, it's nice to know there are others out there doing and thinking the same thing...

Congratulations to us all!!!
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Around Christmas a couple of years ago a friend and I planned to take part in a 24 hour kayak race. I decided to find a 5k running race half way through the year to give me something to train for - well I couldn't find one so ended up signing up to do the Great South Run a 10 mile road race. I didn't tell anyone I was doing it but I trained a bit in the months before it, my longest run was about 5 miles and I struggled through that.

My only aim was to finish it on the road. I'd read that they had to re-open the roads at a certain time so if you were too slow they ask you to run on the path - I really didn't want that.

I got the ferry to Portsmouth and walked the mile or so to the start with my trousers and jumper on and my rucksack on my back - I still didn't know if I was going to run or not. As I got to the starting pen for my wave of runners they started to run. I took my trousers and jumper off, put them in my rucksack, put that on my back and joined in. I knew we ran past the ferry terminal so I could always just get on the ferry then if it was too bad and pretend I'd never even started.

I couldn't believe the fun I had despite the pain of running. The crowd was amazing, there were bands, cheering squads, signs and supporters, all along the route. It was my first experience of running outside or in a group and I loved it. I was nowhere near the slowest or anywhere near the back so I needen't have worried and I found a group of similar paced runners to run with.

I met lots of people running for some amazing causes.

Anyway, I crossed the line, picked up my goody bag and badge and just kept walking the mile or so back to the ferry. I got home in time to watch the highlights of the race on the TV.

I've since done it twice (I'm not doing it this weekend unfortunately) and I've run two half marathons - while I'm not really a runner I love the big group runs.

BTW - I didn't really lose any weight during this running thanks to my oddball view of food as a reward - if I run 5k I deserve pizza and beer. I'm using MFP to straighten this out.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story, and a big congratulations on your success and your determination to keep going.

I never considered myself a runner. I hated the endurance runs/fit test runs through school, and never felt it was my thing. My lungs burned, my body felt like it was out of control and I truly thought that I might die every time I ran.

When I joined MFP in November 2012 I started to hear about the app C25K. I had a treadmill in my basement that I rarely used, because I hated to run, and so I challenged myself to try out the program. I loved how it felt, even if I was jogging only slightly faster than my fastest walking pace; my first runner's high. But, I did too much too soon, and ended up with 2 knee tensors and multiple appointments for ultrasound and electro therapy to my knees from a sports therapist. I stopped running, and picked up my copy of the 30 Day Shred.

When I neared completion of that Jillian Michael's series, I challenged myself to get on the treadmill again and see how long I could jog for. I was shocked when I made it to the 8 minute mark. This was Christmas Day, 2012. I picked up my C25K app again, and this time spaced my runs out, and really listened to my body. I never officially completed the program.

In February 2013 I ventured for my first ever run outside. There was still snow on the ground, and it was cool, but it had begun to thaw and there was enough day light for me to go out after work. I ran a little bit more than 6KM, and it took me about 45 minutes. A few days later I pushed myself and did 10KM, again outside. The next day I took myself to the local running room and bought my first real pair of running shoes. I started to run on Sunday mornings with the running room, working all the way up to 14KM on those long, slow runs. Following the run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute patterns. I kept up with doing some steady runs on my own 2 other days a week.

Something inside me clicked (although at the time it probably was better to say snapped). I registered for a 1/2 marathon. I plugged away running, building my mileage each Sunday. Running mostly on my own. I packed my runners with me when we went camping, or to the lake, I started to build my life around my running schedule.

A few weeks out from the 1/2, I started to hit a wall mentally. I worried it would be too much, and I thought about withdrawing. That week-end, I decided to do the full 13.1 miles in my training run, because I knew that my body was capable, but I had to get my mind to catch up. I ran my practice 1/2 in 2 hours and 35 minutes, and had to stop once to use a restroom and refill my water. I felt great, no knee pain, and the pace felt reasonable (roughly 11.5 min/mile).

Last Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 11 months after my first exposure to learning to run - I participated in my first 1/2 marathon. I was so proud of myself when I crossed over that finish line. I had tears in my eyes from all of the emotions from pride, happiness, confidence. My kids were there to watch me cross the finish line, and I sprinted for it. My unofficial time was 2 hours 19 minutes a whole 16 minutes faster than my practice run only a few weeks earlier.

I am hooked, and there will definitely be more races in my future - and I am even starting to let the thought of doing a full 26.2 creep into my mind, even if it only lingers for a moment, I believe that one day it will be a reality.
  • fretless1965
    fretless1965 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was 45 years old when I went on the hike that changed everything. My brother and I hiked above Jenny Lake and into Cascade Canyon in the Grand Tetons. It was really tough at 220 pounds, and after that hike, I knew things were going to be different.

I started walking every day after we got home and counting calories. The weight dropped off easily, and when I hit 185, I decided I should try running. I recruited a running coach friend of mine to train me, which he did from June 2012 until August, when I ran my first 5k.

I kept adding distance, running a 15k in February 2013. Then I decided to run a half marathon in April 2013, finishing in 2:04:08. For the half, I weighed 172.

I spent the next five months running less than ten miles per week and working on my diet and overall fitness. Two weeks ago I started training for my first full marathon next April. At the moment, I weigh 165.

I spent 45 years developing my mind and ignoring my body. I'm really glad that changed and now I'm working on improving both. Running has been one of the biggest parts of that process.

After the full marathon, who knows? I really enjoyed the half marathon distance, and the training part wasn't too demanding. I could see running multiple half marathons, but at this point I'm not sure about running more marathons. I'll finish this one and then see what I think.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great accomplisment! I ran my first, and so far only, half in Detroit in 2009. I used Jeff Galloway's run/walk program and was so happy just to finish. That is such a great course, but it is steep coming out of the tunnel! I didn't do much running for a long time after that, and just this summer started running regularly again.

My success story? My goal for this year was to run an entire 5k - no walk breaks. Done in July! Revised goal to finish a 10k. I'm signed up for the Kona Chocolate Run 10k in Plymouth next month. Ran 6 miles (no walking) on Sunday! Now I want to run the entire 10k. Next year I want to do a half marathon again. I'm not sure which, but am considering Charlevoix, Petoskey or one of the Michigan Half Series.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I first ran sometime in 2012 but only managed 1km or so and then stopped because I broke my foot in May and walked with a limp up until November. Which is when it got too cold to run for me - yes, one always finds excuses.
    Spring 2013 I started running again but stopped because I was stressed out about exams and it was a hot summer - and one always finds excuses.

BUT I've been losing weight AND doing cardio on my elliptical and managed to run 5km without stopping for the first time this month. It takes me almost 40min and I've only done it twice but the second time wasn't quite as difficult.

So: it's not THAT much of a success but not bad either. I've sort-of signed up for a 10km race next year in September, so I have something to work for.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a great accomplishment and meeting your goals!

I downloaded C25K when it was free on Amazon (I think the pro version vs. the free one) months ago. I had a couple of issues stacked against me - my left foot has a congenital clubfoot (3 childhood surgeries - plus being told not to do anything athletic to prevent injury) and I finished treatment for cancer in January.

As I've continued to have follow ups with my doctors - and thankfully had great results from all my scans - I started to feel better. I joined MFP and decided to actually start C25K. I joined the group on here and that helped me stay motivated.

In August, I could barely run 60 seconds. In the last 2 weeks, I've done three 3 mile runs in under 45 minutes. My husband started doing it with me - on Sunday we will run a 5k together.

I can't believe the change to my confidence in my ability. I've bought more running attire and I feel like a real runner. Hubby and I use mapping programs to figure out the mileage in our runs so we can go further. Sometimes I see my shadow on my run and I think - who is this girl? That's right - IT'S ME!!!! I'm doing this. I really never thought I could do this. And now I look forward to every run.
  • Leigh_b
    Options
    Congrats on a great accomplishment and meeting your goals!

I downloaded C25K when it was free on Amazon (I think the pro version vs. the free one) months ago. I had a couple of issues stacked against me - my left foot has a congenital clubfoot (3 childhood surgeries - plus being told not to do anything athletic to prevent injury) and I finished treatment for cancer in January.

As I've continued to have follow ups with my doctors - and thankfully had great results from all my scans - I started to feel better. I joined MFP and decided to actually start C25K. I joined the group on here and that helped me stay motivated.

In August, I could barely run 60 seconds. In the last 2 weeks, I've done three 3 mile runs in under 45 minutes. My husband started doing it with me - on Sunday we will run a 5k together.

I can't believe the change to my confidence in my ability. I've bought more running attire and I feel like a real runner. Hubby and I use mapping programs to figure out the mileage in our runs so we can go further. Sometimes I see my shadow on my run and I think - who is this girl? That's right - IT'S ME!!!! I'm doing this. I really never thought I could do this. And now I look forward to every run.

Awesome story!! Thank you for sharing it :)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Ran the Houston Marathon in 1998. Soon after that I got married, had three boys, entered my fifties, put on 50 pounds and my knee could no longer take the weigh and I could no longer run. After shoulder and neck surgery I finally hit bottom and got serious. I've lost 30 so far and my knee has recovered. I ran 4 miles outside without stopping for the first time in a couple years just this fall. I'm hoping to get back to a comfortable 6 mile run as was the case in my earlier life. I don't have any aspirations to run a marathon but a 10k seems appealing--losing another 30 will make it feasible.
  • Leigh_b
    Options
    Ran the Houston Marathon in 1998. Soon after that I got married, had three boys, entered my fifties, put on 50 pounds and my knee could no longer take the weigh and I could no longer run. After shoulder and neck surgery I finally hit bottom and got serious. I've lost 30 so far and my knee has recovered. I ran 4 miles outside without stopping for the first time in a couple years just this fall. I'm hoping to get back to a comfortable 6 mile run as was the case in my earlier life. I don't have any aspirations to run a marathon but a 10k seems appealing--losing another 30 will make it feasible.

Running 4 miles without stopping is an awesome accomplishment... most people I know would not be able to do that. Congratulations and keep it up... you'll be running a 10k before you know it :)
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A month off my 50th birthday, back in May, I did day one, week one of C25K, in attempt to boost my weight loss. I had never run a step in my life. Within a week I was hooked and could barely weight for my 3 x weekly programme sessions.

Last Sunday I ran my first 10km in one hour, eleven minutes and 56 seconds. And I still LOVE it......

(PS And I've lost over three stone too!!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!