Stay at home Mums

Options
I have always worked but now have the privilege of being a stay-at-home mum. Only trouble is I am not used to having access to food all day long and it is far too easy to reach for the biscuit tin each time I have a cup of coffee. Any tips on how to avoid snacking during the day? Sometimes I think I snack just because I get bored or lonely. Not used to being on my own all day long.

Replies

• Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I work at home and I've had to really limit the foods that I keep in the house. It's much harder if you only keep things around that you have to actually prepare. Or perhaps you could keep some fresh fruits and veggies on hand that are ready for snacking. At least those would be lower calorie and more filling.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    If you can't keep away from the junk food like biscuits and chocolates etc, why do you buy them?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have always worked but now have the privilege of being a stay-at-home mum. Only trouble is I am not used to having access to food all day long and it is far too easy to reach for the biscuit tin each time I have a cup of coffee. Any tips on how to avoid snacking during the day? Sometimes I think I snack just because I get bored or lonely. Not used to being on my own all day long.

presumably you're going to be a stay at home mum for a while now? so its something you're just going to have to learn to say no to... make the biscuits fit in your cals, or buy ones you dont like (if they are for your husband/kids).
  • Muchmoretogive
    Muchmoretogive Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them or buy your least favourite ones. I have really learnt to control what and how much I eat now. I also now look at the calories and fat in the biscuit chocolate or cake and make a decision on if I really do want a treat or if I was just going to have it for the sake of it. To be honest we don't really have treats in on a regular basis and I think that's the best option. :) good luck
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I stay at home, too,and I try to structure my meals and snacks, so that they fall at a certain time. Like, breakfast at 8,snack at 10:30, lunch at 1, snack at 3, dinner at 6. I am always involved in projects that use my hands - when I want to sit and watch TV, I work on a needlepoint, and when I want to be active, I fold laundry, organize closets, clean the playrooom, etc. Basically, my biggest strategy, is to keep busy, as much as possible. When I have idol time, I am more likely to hit the cupboards, for unnecessary food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Seriously it took me years of gorging before I got sick of it. Once I made the decision to stop grazing all day though, it was easier. I mean I still do it, but I want results, so I hold myself accountable to my diary. If I snack too much during the day, I end up with a tiny dinner, and I don't want to be hungry all night, so I stop myself.

It's pretty much about willpower unfortunately.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I'm on a long mat leave (Canada) so I can relate. One tip is to keep whatever snacks you have out of sight! Don't keep them on the kitchen counter, put them away in the cabinets. Out of sight, out of mind works for me, I even forget they're there.
  • Sashyteds
    Options
    My husband is far from a healthy eater and likes to have his snacks so despite my best efforts to keep the junk out the house, he always wins that battle. I think maybe I should allocate a cupboard for him so he doesn't tempt the rest of us. ;-)
  • Sashyteds
    Options
    Great advice, thanks! I think it is all too easy to fall into bad habits, and getting into the right mind-set is essential to make changes. I have sat down and confronted all the emotional issues that have troubled me, and that has really helped me to identify the problem and open up the road to change. Sometimes all you need is to give yourself a good kick in the butt ;-)