Advice from anyone in ketosis

Options
2»

Replies

• arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    is there a follow up to this? What worked for you to jump start weight loss again? I've been hitting a plateau for 2 weeks now after losing an initial 18lbs in the first month of ketosis, and anything to jump start the weight loss would be so very welcome!
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fitsk8chick?feature=watch

someone posted this and this person seems to have some advice about it- pro
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    is there a follow up to this? What worked for you to jump start weight loss again? I've been hitting a plateau for 2 weeks now after losing an initial 18lbs in the first month of ketosis, and anything to jump start the weight loss would be so very welcome!

losing 18 pounds in a month is not a normal monthly thing you should expect from being in ketosis. a solid chunk of that weight loss (for the first week or so) is water weight adn it will come right back when you start eating carbs again. at the end of the day it's still a matter of having a deficit in calories. (a pound or two a week is what you should expect if you have a deficit of a pound or week ) in your diet numbers.

The advantages of a keto diet is that you get your energy from fat instead of carbs (so you're always burning fat. You don't have to work out for 20 minutes BEFORE you start burning fat. You are burning fat the whole time) and that it helps keep you full longer so you don't get the cravings. also the lack of insulin spikes helps with the no cravings.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    For the person that started this thread - if you look at a ketogenic diet plan - there is a carb up day that they say helps your body keep the momentum to keep losing weight - it's healthy carbs once a week - look up the exact number but I believe the once a week it's about 150-200 range...and then the rest of the week you can maintain your low carb lifestyle. Maybe reseraching this type of diet and switching to that since you've already lost a good starting amount would be beneficiial! Also yes, to chime in on the how many carbs per day, I have about 50 per day and am in the tracing mode of burning ketones...which I have been advised gives the same benefits of the more advanced. You might also want to examine, if you are eating lots of protein to stay in ketosis (not sure if you are) but maybe the fat in protein or sodium content of other foods could be contributing to your plateeu. GOOD LUCK! I'm interested to check back this thread if you post your results from trying ketogenic or getting out of ketosis and tracking calories.

Sounds like The Carb Nite Solution ( John Kiefer)- Ultra Low Carb <30 g daily - loads of greens ( I would miss veggies) and one carb load weekly check it out
  • RemyRed33
    RemyRed33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always did better on low carb myself and tried Atkins 1st stage few weeks ago. After initial success, my weight loss just stopped. After 2 weeks of frustration, I upped my carbs intake to 75-100 gr a day by adding low fat yogurts, veggies and fruits, while still maintaining caloric deficit. I saw results immediately. Reviewing my weight-loss history and food diary, I came to conclusion that 65-100gr is my optimal carb range; it’s where I lose weight steady and comfortably. Good luck to you!
  • wanitalilly
    Options
    For the person that started this thread - if you look at a ketogenic diet plan - there is a carb up day that they say helps your body keep the momentum to keep losing weight - it's healthy carbs once a week - look up the exact number but I believe the once a week it's about 150-200 range...and then the rest of the week you can maintain your low carb lifestyle. Maybe reseraching this type of diet and switching to that since you've already lost a good starting amount would be beneficiial! Also yes, to chime in on the how many carbs per day, I have about 50 per day and am in the tracing mode of burning ketones...which I have been advised gives the same benefits of the more advanced. You might also want to examine, if you are eating lots of protein to stay in ketosis (not sure if you are) but maybe the fat in protein or sodium content of other foods could be contributing to your plateeu. GOOD LUCK! I'm interested to check back this thread if you post your results from trying ketogenic or getting out of ketosis and tracking calories.

Thank you for this reply! I am at 60 per day and I think I will go down to 50. I want to be tracing too,
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do Carb cycling, read the book by Chris Powel Chose more... He does the show extreme weightloss.
    You alternate carbs every other day...
    This week I am doing three days low carb, then higher carb for two days and then 3 days low carb.. in 3 days lost 5 lbs and back on track.. I was on a standstill.
    You shock the system.
    He even recommends in the book if stuck do one week of carbs and then low carb.. it works.. You will lose again..
    Happy eating.. :)
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am curious, how many carbs do you take in per day to stay in ketosis?

There is no set magical number. Everybody is different. I've read no more than 20g per day. Just 5% of your daily calorie diet should be carbs.

Thank you for the information! I'm at 10% of my calorie goal, think I may need to drop it another 5%.

Before you drop your carb intake to 5% take a keto test to see if you already have ketones in your kidneys.
    The person who stated "Less than 20 carbs" is inaccurate.
    You can attain ketosis below 100g daily.
    However, everyone is different. Some people need to go lower to get in to ketosis.
    Just make sure you test at every increments of 10 before you consider going lower.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Thank you for this reply! I am at 60 per day and I think I will go down to 50. I want to be tracing too,

This isn't really entirely true. you are in ketosis or you are not in ketosis. the difference between trace or heavy is the concentrations in your urine. drinking a lot of water will also dilute it to trace. if you've been in ketosis a long time your body starts putting out different kinds of ketones to be more efficent so you might not show up on the test strips at all. Lowering teh amount of carbs you eat won't put you in "Trace" ketones. If you are eating 60 grams of carbs a day and are in ketosis it's the same as if you ate 50 and are in ketosis. if you want to have more dilute ketones drink more water.

I vary in between 80 or 90 carbs a day (not taking out for fiber, it's lower if you take fiber out) and test trace or negative during the day when I am drinking a ton of water (also because I have been in ketosis for a few months now) but if I test first thing in the morning it's moderate ketones. At this point I only test first thing.

My ideal day ends at 50 or 60 net carbs.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i've been trying atkins for a month. i eat 2100 cals, and for me its a ***** to get the carbs around 20 g. i'm typically at 45 ish.

my carbs come only from nuts, peanut butter, protien powder and eggs.

i'm not so sure i really lost fat any faster then i would have eating the same amount of calories and a more typical macro profile. in fact, it seemed a bit slower then in the past

I did pee like crazy tho and lost a lot of water weight. planning on comming of it in a week and probably not going to bother with it again.

on good thing about it was that i did seem somewhat more satified at a lower calorie level with the higher fat diet
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Do Carb cycling, read the book by Chris Powel Chose more... He does the show extreme weightloss.
    You alternate carbs every other day...
    This week I am doing three days low carb, then higher carb for two days and then 3 days low carb.. in 3 days lost 5 lbs and back on track.. I was on a standstill.
    You shock the system.
    He even recommends in the book if stuck do one week of carbs and then low carb.. it works.. You will lose again..
    Happy eating.. :)

Could you tell me how many carbs are you allow to eat on low carb days. And how many on high carbs days. I can't seem to find the answer to this one. Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I originally posted this back in February. I've been in and out of ketosis all year and I've learned a lot about this lifestyle. I'm happy to outline what's worked for me, but first, I want to say that I am still on my journey and by no means a keto expert (there are some true experts in the keto forum for anyone who wants to get really into the science of it all).

*When I stalled in February, I did do a juice fast and it was MISERABLE! I will never, ever put myself through a juice fast again. It's just not for me. I don't judge those who do them -- I just personally felt like I was dying and it was awful.

*I've successfully lost 25 lbs. this year eating keto off and on. I went from 175 to 150 from January to June, eating keto for about 4 weeks at a time and then taking 1-2 weeks off (during which time I ate a lot of carbs and admittedly usually pretty unhealthy carbs). After my initial 14 lbs. drop, I would be "stuck" for a while, then carb up for a while, then get seriously into keto again and lose more.

*Since July, I've been extremely busy and had some keto weeks and some carb weeks. It's been kind of chaotic, BUT I have been able to maintain my weight, which is a huge victory for me.

*For me, I need breaks -- I want to have cake when I'm at weddings, cocktails like Moscow Mules, Carol's cookies from Whole Foods, and pizza and mac n' cheese. But, these are not healthy for me and I do not need them to survive. So, I am happy to only eat them occasionally. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this -- I don't think doing keto for 4 weeks and then taking 1-2 week binge breaks is good. I am going to keep experimenting and my next plan is to test out 1 carb up meal every 7 days -- but I really do have binge issues, so this is a process and I'm learning what works for me.

Overall, keto has been really successful for me. I'm 5'5.5 so being at 150 lbs., I am at a healthy weight. I went wedding-dress shopping a few weeks ago and all the dresses fit me and I felt good and confident. Keto is the healthiest I've ever eaten in my life -- I have really clean food and eat more green veggies than I ever have before. I've also discovered how wonderful healthy fats are for me -- for my skin, hair, brain, energy level, and even my depression/anxiety.

I really haven't been pushing to lose more weight since June, but just this week I got fully back into ketosis and am hoping to lose another 5-10 lbs. When eating keto, I strive for 80% fat, 10-15% protein, 5-10% carbs (mainly from green vegetables and nuts).

Again, if you're interested in keto, I recommend doing a lot of research and joining the keto forum. I'm also happy to be friends with anyone so feel free to add me if you want.
  • tonydepalma
    tonydepalma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out lead us to massive Obesity. Google Gary Taubes his research on this is flawless and irrefutable
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out lead us to massive Obesity. Google Gary Taubes his research on this is flawless and irrefutable

Thanks tonydepalma for this post. Finally I understand it is not about the NUMBER of calories that we eat but is about the KIND of calories we eat.

http://lowerthought.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/notes-to-good-calories-bad-calories.pdf
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!