calories

Options
I was just wondering on a day that I don't exercise is it ok to be under my calorie goal for the day or should I still aim for the requested 1200 a day. If I eat less am I helping myself or would my body go into starvation mode?

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    If you only do it occasionally, it will be fine. So long as you average OK over a week or so, you are doing well.

A single day won't put you in "starvation mode".

That said, don't make it a habit.
  • lissaann29078
    lissaann29078 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to create an energy (or calorie) deficit by eating fewer calories, increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity, or both.
  • lissaann29078
    lissaann29078 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you only do it occasionally, it will be fine. So long as you average OK over a week or so, you are doing well.

A single day won't put you in "starvation mode".

That said, don't make it a habit.

True!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering on a day that I don't exercise is it ok to be under my calorie goal for the day or should I still aim for the requested 1200 a day. If I eat less am I helping myself or would my body go into starvation mode?
    If your using MFP method you should be eating some of your exercise calories back on exercise days and sticking to 1200 on non exercise days
  • pikkies23
    Options
    As the others have mentioned one day wont make your body go into starvation mode.. but something that I have found on my rest days is that my body isn't hungry at all... its like if you don't want to exercise we are not eating... this is such a bad mentality to have... 1200 calories is your maintenance level this IS something the body needs to function. I literally force feed myself!! 50 -100 calories under is fine but don't go too drastically under :) keep your body in a constant burning mode :)

if you still feel that you cannot eat the required amount maybe get yourself a yoga ball and play around on it will watching TV, go play with your dogs for 20 mins running up and down, walk to the park do something active and your body will scream for food :)
  • hmz74
    hmz74 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys this has helped me a lot.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    As the others have mentioned one day wont make your body go into starvation mode.. but something that I have found on my rest days is that my body isn't hungry at all... its like if you don't want to exercise we are not eating... this is such a bad mentality to have... 1200 calories is your maintenance level this IS something the body needs to function. I literally force feed myself!! 50 -100 calories under is fine but don't go too drastically under :) keep your body in a constant burning mode :)

if you still feel that you cannot eat the required amount maybe get yourself a yoga ball and play around on it will watching TV, go play with your dogs for 20 mins running up and down, walk to the park do something active and your body will scream for food :)

Calorie dense foods help a lot. 1 tablespoon of peanut butter is almost 100 calories - healthy fat and some protein too. Eat a small handfull of nuts, use full fat dressing...it's not hard to add healthy calories.