Push through DOMS?

Options
I've got DOMS from lifting weights. Was a bit painful getting out of bed today.

Do I just push through it?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Yerp...

but I hope your not doing the same workout 2 days in a row.
  • djwatt
    djwatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm doing;

Mon/Thurs Shoulders & Chest

Tues/Fri Legs

Weds/Sat Arms abs and back

Which allows 72 hours rest between each muscle group
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, push though, keep moving (5 minutes walking will help loosen things up a bit), drink water, pack on the protein, I think spinach helps but have no real proof.

If you sit on your *kitten* they'll continue for up to 5 days, if you keep moving they'll stop after 2.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, DOMS is something that indicates that you haven't warmed up and cooled down and stretched properly.

have you access to a foam roller at your gym? try it out, and read this to know more about foam rolling: www.artofmanliness.com/2013/06/13/trigger-point-release/‎

i start most work outs with 5-10 minutes of foam rolling (if it's good enough for jim wendler, it's good enough for me), and then some jump rope or running.

i end work outs by walking about a mile on the treadmill and then 10-15 minutes of stretching.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Foam rolling helps! Well, it hurts like a b**ch but for me, it seems to help DOMS go away a wee bit faster. I also take lots of little shake-out walks throughout the day so I don't feel too horribly tight.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, DOMS is something that indicates that you haven't warmed up and cooled down and stretched properly.

have you access to a foam roller at your gym? try it out, and read this to know more about foam rolling: www.artofmanliness.com/2013/06/13/trigger-point-release/‎

i start most work outs with 5-10 minutes of foam rolling (if it's good enough for jim wendler, it's good enough for me), and then some jump rope or running.

i end work outs by walking about a mile on the treadmill and then 10-15 minutes of stretching.

+1
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Only push through if it means you can still do good form, otherwise you're risking injury.
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    I don't necessarily agree.

I find that if I am changing up my workout routine (touch and go compared to heavy lift), I experience significant DOMS. I actually just posted about it yesterday.

With that being said, I try to push through it as much as possible, and alternate lifting days with cardio-based days.

+1
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Not really. DOMS is more stress on the muscles than you are *normally* use to. That can either be when you are starting out or if you change your rep scheme and weights drastically. e.g. going from heavy bot low volume to high volume but a bit less weight will be a recipe for DOMS for the first few sessions if you push it.

If you take a 7-10 day off training completely, get back in the gym and hit it hard you will have savage DOMS as well.

No amount of stretching/ warm up/ cool down will stop you getting DOMS.

Koing
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree that DOMS will set in regardless of how much you stretch or warm up. I worked out for 46 weeks straight, heavy lifting. I had zero DOMS, but then I broke my hand. Down time of 9 weeks and when I went back, stretched, lifted lighter than before because of the hand, I had massive DOMS. The thing is I pressed through, and you actually feel a little better after lifting than before. I don't agree with Cardio after leg day as I usually duck walk for 2 to 3 days after if I do.

Drink a lot of water! You need to flush that lactic acid out of your system.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would say it's a personal choice whether you exercise or not. Personally I can "work through" the pain and feel better after exercising. But my husband on the other hand feels worse. Its almost like he accumulates the soreness over time. So a good day of rest, massage, stretching helps him.

But stretching, foam rollers, compression tights, cold/hot baths, etc... are all some home remedies people use. Although I am sure little scientific proof exists for these.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can expect DOMS to occur when you start a new movement or intensity. That said, it goes away with time, the more you do something, and don't look to it as an indication of how hard you worked. I lift more now, with more intesity than ever, and I do not get DOMS any longer.

Things like stretching and all that might relieve the pain, but I believe (not sure on this right now) I read something which said that stretching and warmup doesn't actually affect whether or not you get it, just repetition.

The only time you shouldn't push through DOMs is if you think it's going to make it worse, to where you can't keep good form and reasonably get through your work out. For the most part, DOMs is a fair indication that you should start slower and build up.

Also, unless you're on roids, you should be hitting everything twice a week. You're leaving gains on the sidelines if you're only hitting everything once. Your body's anabolic response to exercise is only good for around 24-48 hours. Meaning hitting a muscle group every other day for twice a week is optimal. What you're doing is a body building split, and it's not at all efficient for non-doping athletes.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can expect DOMS to occur when you start a new movement or intensity. That said, it goes away with time, the more you do something, and don't look to it as an indication of how hard you worked. I lift more now, with more intesity than ever, and I do not get DOMS any longer.

Things like stretching and all that might relieve the pain, but I believe (not sure on this right now) I read something which said that stretching and warmup doesn't actually affect whether or not you get it, just repetition.

The only time you shouldn't push through DOMs is if you think it's going to make it worse, to where you can't keep good form and reasonably get through your work out. For the most part, DOMs is a fair indication that you should start slower and build up.

This, no matter how much you roll, mash and stretch you're going to experience a certain level of DOMS from new movements. Which is probably why I was experiencing much more DOMS during CrossFit-style training than I was just running out a straight strength program. Now I can run out 3-4 weeks and not experience DOMS until I'm running really heavy singles the last week or two.

However, I'm a big proponent of proper warm ups including dynamic stretching, foam rolling, banded stretches and bodyweight movements that run you through similar ROMs as whatever lift you plan on doing to warm up your joints and all tissues involved. I also agree that you should continue to work through DOMS as long as it isn't affecting your form to the point of potentially injuring yourself.

This is purely anecdotal but after a really rough leg session I try to pair up some walking particularly on an incline with upper body lifting just to get the legs moving. This is mostly for the days after squatting that I happen to spend all day at my desk.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    I feel better if I do light cardio when I have DOMS. Warm up, stretch, cool down. I might burn at most 200 calories but I am doing it for comfort, not for deficit.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

QFT - foam rollers suck pretty hardcore while doing it, but after that some do light stretching and you will feel much better.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

This, no matter how much you roll, mash and stretch you're going to experience a certain level of DOMS from new movements. Which is probably why I was experiencing much more DOMS during CrossFit-style training than I was just running out a straight strength program. Now I can run out 3-4 weeks and not experience DOMS until I'm running really heavy singles the last week or two.

However, I'm a big proponent of proper warm ups including dynamic stretching, foam rolling, banded stretches and bodyweight movements that run you through similar ROMs as whatever lift you plan on doing to warm up your joints and all tissues involved. I also agree that you should continue to work through DOMS as long as it isn't affecting your form to the point of potentially injuring yourself.

This is purely anecdotal but after a really rough leg session I try to pair up some walking particularly on an incline with upper body lifting just to get the legs moving. This is mostly for the days after squatting that I happen to spend all day at my desk.

Absolutely, I never meant to say that you shouldn't stretch and do a dynamic warmup before lifting. This will keep you loose for your workout, and will do wonders to help you prevent injury.

Google DeFranco's "Agile 8" and "Simple 6". They're 10 minute warmups that get your lower and upper body ready for lifting. As always though, make sure you get a set or two in with just the bar to make sure you're properly warmed up though.