Non-Dairy Breakfast Ideas

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm anaemic and the iron tablets I'm on can't be taken with milk, cheese or eggs. I struggle with things to have for breakfast because I LOVE eggs in a morning. I'm currently having porridge made with water but I'm not a huge fan and end up putting sugar in it which I'd rather not do. I used to have smoothies for breakfast but I'm far too hungry for that now!

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could make?

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Bacon or sliced ham and avocado is a good combination. Can you have bread? Lots of options to have with/on toast.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I can have bread :) I don't have any food intolerances or anything it's purely it can affect the absorption of the iron. That's a good idea, I generally don't eat too much toast in a morning other than with my eggs so I feel a bit lost with what to make! I've never really eaten avocado other than in guacamole and I know people on here rave about how good it is so I should have a look into it. :) Thank you!
  • RachaelKaye4
    RachaelKaye4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BOOM

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/dairy-free-breakfast

Go to love BBC GoodFood! :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Toast toppings - smooshed avocado, sliced tomatoes with a smear of marmite, peanut butter (smear of jam if your calories allow!)

You can make a sort of porridge from quinoa.

Leftovers.

Smoked fish - salmon, trout, mackerel.

Fruit salad, half a grapefruit, banana smoothie.
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    Thanks lovelies!

I'd have my leftovers for breakfast but I have them for my lunch!!! haha :)

My boyfriend laughs at me because if there's enough left over I'll have an 'evening meal' for breakfast!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Cereal with soy or almond milk.

Bagel or English muffin with peanut butter, almond butter, or Nutella.

Muffins. Tons of recipes out there (my running buddy recently gave me some pumpkin muffins that were great), but even the mix ones are only ~130 calories each.

Bacon sandwich.

Smoothie made with fruit and soy/rice/almond milk.

Or: have lunch for breakfast and breakfast for lunch! That way you can have your eggs.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    eggs are great - omelettes, scrambled etc

tofu if you like it (i'm not a fan, particularly, but i know some people love it)

chicken/beef/ham etc

sandwiches - any filling plus vegetables: avocado slices ; eggs; hummus; roast chicken breas thinly sliced; tofu; etc. you can use bread, roll, tortilla, etc

or if you like you could use soy/coconut/amond milk in place of the milk in your porridge (I don't like it so much, but i know plenty of people who are lactose intolerant and use these all the time).
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    Just dont have your iron tablets at breakfast time - easy solution

I say this is someone who also requires iron tablets and also as a medical student

There is no reason you need to take them in the morning. As long as they dont give you constipation then there is really no reason you need to take them with food either. I take mine at night before i go to bed as i used to drink a lot of tea and it massively affects iron absorption, so taking it before bed was the easiest way to minimise any interations

So yeah, i suggest not altering your food but merely altering when you take them
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    Can i ask who told you that you couldnt have them with milk, eggs etc?

Dairy yes (to some extent) as high levels of calcium can affect absorption, but even then it is quite low. Things like green tea interfere far more.
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    To the person saying tofu, soy products can interfere with iron absorption, but not soy milk as it is fermented
  • g2214n
    g2214n Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Perhaps Diary free options (Almond/Soy/Rice) with oats?
    To your normal oats with water a swirl of peanut/almond butter and dash of Maple syrup?
    Sausages, bacon with grilled/fresh tomato?
    Dairy free yoghurt with fruits and nuts?
    Rice cake(gluten free) with PB and banana; recently I've tried it with PB and smoked salmon - divine!
    Dairy free protein shake with some crushed seeds/nuts in it and piece of fruit?
    Some fresh veg(tomato/cucumber/pepper) and smoked salmon/can of tuna?
    Overnight soaked dry fruits(apricots/prunes/figs - very high in Iron) - I tend to soak in earl gray tea with some nuts?
    Hummus on rice cakes and slice of chicken/turkey?

Hope any of the above would be appealing
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Just dont have your iron tablets at breakfast time - easy solution

I say this is someone who also requires iron tablets and also as a medical student

There is no reason you need to take them in the morning. As long as they dont give you constipation then there is really no reason you need to take them with food either. I take mine at night before i go to bed as i used to drink a lot of tea and it massively affects iron absorption, so taking it before bed was the easiest way to minimise any interations

So yeah, i suggest not altering your food but merely altering when you take them
    Win!
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    Can i ask who told you that you couldnt have them with milk, eggs etc?

Dairy yes (to some extent) as high levels of calcium can affect absorption, but even then it is quite low. Things like green tea interfere far more.

Hiya, I have to take 3 a day and because of the type they are I need to take them throughout the day according to my GP. I take them after food because otherwise I get really bad stomach ache with them. I'm also English so it might be the type that I have that differ from yours/Australian types? Two GPs and the labels with the medication told me not to have milk/eggs and cheese with them, alongside tea.

Thanks for your idea though.
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    Perhaps Diary free options (Almond/Soy/Rice) with oats?
    To your normal oats with water a swirl of peanut/almond butter and dash of Maple syrup?
    Sausages, bacon with grilled/fresh tomato?
    Dairy free yoghurt with fruits and nuts?
    Rice cake(gluten free) with PB and banana; recently I've tried it with PB and smoked salmon - divine!
    Dairy free protein shake with some crushed seeds/nuts in it and piece of fruit?
    Some fresh veg(tomato/cucumber/pepper) and smoked salmon/can of tuna?
    Overnight soaked dry fruits(apricots/prunes/figs - very high in Iron) - I tend to soak in earl gray tea with some nuts?
    Hummus on rice cakes and slice of chicken/turkey?

Hope any of the above would be appealing

Lovely ideas thank you! The only one I can't really have is the nuts based ideas because of my boyfriend (he's severely allergic, all fun and games in our house! haha) x
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    eggs are great - omelettes, scrambled etc

tofu if you like it (i'm not a fan, particularly, but i know some people love it)

chicken/beef/ham etc

sandwiches - any filling plus vegetables: avocado slices ; eggs; hummus; roast chicken breas thinly sliced; tofu; etc. you can use bread, roll, tortilla, etc

or if you like you could use soy/coconut/amond milk in place of the milk in your porridge (I don't like it so much, but i know plenty of people who are lactose intolerant and use these all the time).

Thank you for your ideas :)
  • g2214n
    g2214n Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I understand... I am in UK/London as well and can suggest few products you can find at most shops nowadays

Alpro yoghurt(soy)
    Co Yo yoghurt(very expensive but absolutely divine) - mainly health food stores
    Quinoa/Rice flates(like oats but gluten free)
    Rice Dream Vanilla - Rice Milk

Whole Foods have amazing range to cater all needs - it might be worth it visiting(although you'll leave the shop without your purse)

Feel free to add me for more ideas.
  • rtjenny
    rtjenny Posts: 51
    Options
    Eggs are not dairy, so a non-dairy breakfast can include eggs.

Someone suggested Nutella - that's not dairy free....
  • RachaelKaye4
    RachaelKaye4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not dairy, so a non-dairy breakfast can include eggs.

Someone suggested Nutella - that's not dairy free....

She said she cant eat eggs and her boyfriend has a deadly nut allergy
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Easy Peasy Yummmmmmy idea : slice bananas, add chopped toasted nuts, top with peanut buttter.

It is super filling and very yummy.

ahhhh.... no nuts.