Sick of the rat race. Going nomad in 2020

Options
I have decided that by the year 2020 I will grow my business to be sufficient enough to support me in my dream: I will become a "modern nomad". I can make and ship my lures from any where. So why not? I will have an RV and go where the fishing is good and to be close to my kids no matter where there hearts take them.

Many of us talk about security in their jobs and home. I am finding that this "security" is an anchor for me attached with a noose.

I want more from life and am willing to take it. 50 is only a few years away and I'll be damned if I look back at 60 and wonder "what if?".

Funny thing is, it was a scene in Forrest Gump that finally pushed me enough to set this in motion... "When I was hungry, I ate. When I was tired, I slept. When I had to go, you know, I went! " I am currently working 8a-10p Weds thru Sat at two jobs plus 8a-5p on Tuesday. Lately I have been adding another day with at least 4 hours. That's about 70 hours a week and I have nothing to show for it. A rat in a wheel has to have more satisfaction. I have a little while longer working like this, it is something I have to do in order for my family to get where it needs to be. I accept this but I am also getting my plan rolling too. When it gets too cold, I will drive South, when the walleye are under ice, I will fish redfish in the coastal waters of the Gulf, when it is a holiday I will spend it with my family. No one or no thing can make you happy. Only you can do that for yourself. There is more to life than this. I want to watch the aurora borealis dance over the Yukon. I want to hear a bull elk bugle in Montana. I want to see Spanish moss hang from a thousand trees in Dixie. I want more, but don't need to have it all to achieve this. Food, gas, maintenance and the ability to process orders will make for a simple and satisfying life.

I know this is a "simplified" way to look at it and I have a lot of research and planning, but at least I am moving forward for the first time in a long time.

Replies

• bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best, sounds wonderful! My husband and I wish for the same. We figure there has got to be more to life than running in the rat race. We work hard, he runs his own business while I work for the man, but we dont want to waste our lives away. We want to get out and enjoy this amazing world that we live in.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Being able to make an income no matter where you are is fantastic.

Go for it. I'm also someone who dreads hitting 60 wondering "what if"..

I'm a bit desk bound with my job, but I'm working hard with the plan of retiring at 60. But while I'm working towards that aim, I trying to get through my "list".. Mainly horse related! Have done a few things already.. A tad stuck on my SJ plan - but we are slowly getting there..

Nothing worse than living to work!! Although sometimes it feels like that all I do, I am getting to - working to live!!

You go and make sure your a damn happy nomad in 7 yrs!!! Enjoy the journey too!!
  • Madmoosebaits
    Options
    Thanks! I realized in the last few days that I never really have had a goal. I just kinda plow through life and hope for the best but never planned for it.

Since I decided this course of action I find that I am so much happier.
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My family and I own an RV business and people like you are coming in every week to do exactly what your dream is. So you will reach that goal. It's VERY doable. I see living proof all the time. Good luck!!!
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Chase it and chase it hard. Life is too short for regrets. My daughter and her partner have taken a year out to travel around Australia, working odd jobs to earn petrol money and living a simple life and I have never seen her happier or more relaxed.
  • teresa77447
    Options
    Man that sounds like heaven. I hope you make it happen, I know I would love too.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    DO IT!! The hubby and me are currently starting a business so we have a few years before we can even consider walking away from it for any extended period of time but we fully plan on letting it make the money and just living a more simplified way of life. I liked what you said about your security attached with a noose - so true. It is actually quite sad how we humans have backed ourselves into a society that has caused us so much stress and unhappiness, only for a false sense of security. Let's face it, anything can derail our security - if the recent economy, natural disasters, crappy government, or our own mortalities haven't taught us that, then nothing will. Live for today, plan some for tomorrow, always live for what is important to you:) For me, and sounds like you too, being in the world's natural beauty is key to my happiness and I am lucky to have a husband that feels the same.

Good luck!
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to how you feel. I just did a look back and what if at 50 and I really do not want to do it again at 60. Good luck in your journey. Your post inspires me, hopefully for more than just today :smile:
  • Madmoosebaits
    Options
    again, thank you all. Here is something a guy told me:

"Hard work never killed anyone but being overworked has killed legions"

We all need to keep that in mind and just look around and see what really matters.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Wish you the best.
  • Madmoosebaits
    Options
    Last night I got on Youtube and did a little searching. As it turns out there are a lot of people doing just this. I thought I was doing something radical but it is more common than you'd think.

Many of the couples are younger and have jobs that don't require them to be in one place.