To those that lift

Options
I’m just curious, what do you do on your off days? Do you only rest? Do you do some form of cardio? If so, what? I just started NROWL4W and I feel like I should be doing something on my off days, however, I don’t want to hinder my progress. I was thinking about waiting till I have done the program for a few weeks, then starting something,……what would you suggest?

Also, are there any ladies that have tried both NROWL4W and 5-3-1? If so, which did you like better?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I like 5-3-1 better than NROL4W. It's just more streamlined and less time consuming for me. I like NROL4W also, just got too time consuming. On my rest days, I usually do something light, a hike, walk, yoga or a bike ride and some days I don't do anything if I don't feel like it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    walk.
    Stuff around the house.
    chase after 3 kids.
    or just actually rest if I can. :laugh: :laugh:

I mean when I hit weights, I try to kill it.
    So like yesterday was leg day.....I am feeling that....so if it were rest day today, then I would most likely do only what I needed to.
  • seanonoldschool
    seanonoldschool Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on a push/pull/leg split. On my 4th/rest day I usually just go for a run so I don't get restless not exercising that day. Ha
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I usually do my Ab workouts on off days, or do nothing at all.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    dont do cardio
    dont have rest days (lift every day)

thinking of starting cardio though -_-

there is always something you can do instead of "rest" stretching, carido, HIIT, etc
  • katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like 5-3-1 better than NROL4W. It's just more streamlined and less time consuming for me. I like NROL4W also, just got too time consuming. On my rest days, I usually do something light, a hike, walk, yoga or a bike ride and some days I don't do anything if I don't feel like it.

Do you feel like your getting better results from 5-3-1?
  • BIH92
    BIH92 Posts: 14
    Options
    I do anything on off days but no cardio or work out. I mostly rest my body for the next week :) I also eat a lot to fix muscle tissues and feed my muscles. I don't drink or smoke. Stay home and relax to watch movies or nap. Once in a while I go walk to the park or mall.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to build muscle, then I would suggest something very low-impact if you feel you must do something. Perhaps going in and doing abs only, or going for a relaxing walk.

The time when your body builds muscle is when it is recovering. If you're constantly putting your muscles under stress without resting them they won't have adequate time to recover. [You'll meet some opposition to that viewpoint, but it's worked for me so far].
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options

Yes, definitely! I feel stronger than I did with NROL4W, I'm not at all bashing NR I think it's full of great info and great program, gives beginners a great place to start. I did NR for about 5 months (and had results) before switching and I'm happier with the results I'm getting with 5-3-1.
  • katiwagner
    Options

Yes, definitely! I feel stronger than I did with NROL4W, I'm not at all bashing NR I think it's full of great info and great program, gives beginners a great place to start. I did NR for about 5 months (and had results) before switching and I'm happier with the results I'm getting with 5-3-1.

Good to know! Thanks!
  • katiwagner
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

What do you mean by "results"? I'm asking because really any program that has you lifting heavy weight will eventually get you more muscle. More than anything else, the aesthetic results most people are looking for have to do with diet. Stripping the fat away so the muscle shows through.

That said, 5/3/1 is a great program, for increasing strength. It was written by a power lifter for power lifters. Will you build muscle on it, yes, but via the program that's meant to be a by-product of getting stronger.

NROLFW does all the same things in a more complicated way, but it's not a bad program. Just better suited for individuals who want more variety or different movements. Like I said though, those extra movements are not necessary.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

What accessory work template are you using?
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I have 2 lifting days, 2 rest days, and 3 days of kickboxing
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I bike, hike, swim, etc... on my non-strength training days. There are really no "off" days for me. My goal is to build muscle but I also compete in bike races, so I have to continue to train for these. But this is all personal. Some people need to have a rest day.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I have 2 lifting days, 2 rest days, and 3 days of kickboxing

and occasionally she can be found at the south end of a north bound horse. :laugh: :laugh:
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I lift 5x a week right now and it got to be too much (sore knees, put my back out, and then got a cold, LOL) I felt like an old woman and ended up missing some days. I didn't feel as great as when I was lifting on three days. I'm going to lift Monday, Wednesday and Friday and on my off days I'll be doing an hour of YOGA. I'd also like to mix it up sometimes on the weekend (which I normally take OFF) with some cardio HIIT. My trainer told me to find my weakest item, and concentrate on that - so that it COMPLIMENTS the days that I do lift. My weak area - is my core and flexibility which YOGA should help with.

Good luck - awesome question!
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Rest! haha!
    No catch up with people, track progress, bits I need to do! I'm a busy lil one!
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't do anything at all!! I just make sure I eat a lot and sleep a lot. Muscle growth occurs during rest, not during lifting.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options

What accessory work template are you using?

The triumvirate. Currently my routine is workout A. OHP, dip, chin up (assisted atm, working on this one!). Workout B. Deadlift, good morning, hanging leg raise. Workout C. Bench press, DB chest press, DB row. Workout D. Squat, leg press, leg curl.