PROTEIN

Options
I hope i'm not re-posting something someone else has done, I just have a simple question. How bad is too much protein? is there such a thing? I'm asking because of all the areas in the food section of my diary I seem to go over often in that area but not in the fat or carbs so much. Am I making bad choices? I'm trying to make the goal/challenge of 30 pounds by Christmas and i'm beginning to think about my food intake alot more.

Replies

• sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Not of you're going over just a little. If you're working out, I've read it should be at least 1g per pound of lean muscle mass. MFP seems to have it on the low side. I set my ratios to 40-30-30 and now I have a hard time getting enough protein.
  • carlyrenee1
    Options
    I agree with sbilyeu, going over a little is not going to hurt you. Way too much protein can cause strain on your kidneys. Which is not good!
  • xstarriexeyezx
    xstarriexeyezx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the Dukan Diet (well, aspects of it) which works on the same basis as the Atkins diet but uses protein as the main focus group. For this you do a week just protein (meat, fish, egg) and then spend the majority of the diet alternating between pure protein, and protein and vegetables. In the book it explains all the pros and cons of this and if it is healthy enough for me to do just protein with supplement tablets I am sure you couldn't be doing yourself any harm.
    Just make sure that you are taking vitamins as high protein slows down the rate your metabolism works and because of this you may not be taking enough nutrients from the food you eat.

Hope this helped a bit and if you had any questions about the diet just message me :)

Jess x
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The protein in MFP is set on the low side. It probably won't be a problem unless you have Kidney problems. I always go over on mine and am still losing. Just watch your sodium, fat and calories. Your going to do fine.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    First of all, the default protein setting on MFP is, IMO, ridiculously low. Second, you can safely eat a boatload of protein before it becomes an issue for your kidneys (unless your kidneys are already diseased but you didn't say they were so I'm assuming you have normal kidney function). In one study, subjects ingested 2.8 g of protein per kg of body weight with no problems.

The normal recommendation is .5 to .8 g per kg of body weight though personally that doesn't work for me. But I don't consider my protein situation to be normal.... I seem to have some sort of absorption issue going on.
    Just make sure that you are taking vitamins as high protein slows down the rate your metabolism works and because of this you may not be taking enough nutrients from the food you eat.
    Huh???

First of all, high protein shouldn't slow down your metabolism. High carbs can if you are insulin resistant, but not high protein. Second, your metabolism has nothing to do with absorbing nutrients from your food.
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    WOW you guys are helping so much! I really appreciate it. I had no idea about the kidney issue and protein but I definately have normal kidney function. I work out 60 mins everyday except for Friday, and I do see it change when I put my protein in. I just want to be as excellent as I can with helping to reach my goals, not fast but in a timely manner. I know food can be a plus or minus to weight loss if not done correctly and I have not been doing it right all these years but I see so many of you guys doing so FANTASTIC! I'm eating foods I would never let past my lips at one time, but now I am beginning to love them! Like beets lol.
  • babygirlrere
    Options
    i eat 3 oz of red meat and 4 oz of all other kinds of meat .....but i usually stick with chicken breast, fish,and turkey.........my protien is over to..... but as long as i use portion control on my foods and meats im good .......my dietition said each meal should be .......
    fast carb, protien and slow carb
    or 3 serving slow carb and one serving protien
    or one serving protien and one serving fast carb.... for each meal
    all carbs are not digested at the same rate thats something i had to learn and it was hard but now i know which are slow and which are fast and how much of each is a serving...... it has worked for me so far..........hope something said helps.....
    sis/friend
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you have to WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY over on protein to get the negative effects on your kidneys. Many bodybuilders consistently eat 50% protein in their diets for about a month or so to lean out before competition...so if MFP sets your protein at 15% and you go up to 20%, you are perfectly fine.

I set mine at 30% and have been thriving for years that way. No kidney issues whatsoever.