Post workout protein = necessary?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I was told by the gym nurse (among other myths) that one of the reason I lost muscle last time is because I didn't always have a protein snack right after a workout. It just seems totally counter productive to force myself to eat or drink something when I'm not hungry, and I can't always schedule my workouts just before I get a snack or lunch.

Is it a myth? Or is it really necessary?

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    From my reading.
    I think the most important macro to get within 2 hrs post workout would be carbs.
    Studies have shown the body takes up carbs better within 2 hrs of a workout......after 2 hrs, the uptake for carbs is the same.

Protein does not show any difference in uptake.

Now what you do have to worry about is if your protein is not adequate enough, then post workout (if doing weights) muscle breakdown can occur if you are not supplying food to your system to prevent this.

Maybe post workout, try some chocolate milk.
    -tastes good
    -good protein
    -good carbs
    -some fat.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Whats a "Gym Nurse"?
  • BIH92
    BIH92 Posts: 14
    Options
    You need a protein shake after you finish your work out. Drink it right away when you finish your last work out. Your body is burning and eating your own muscles. You need a protein shake every time you work out. Go to nearest Sam's club and buy a bag of 10lbs protein powder for $35. Muscle tech brand.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    You need a protein shake after you finish your work out. Drink it right away when you finish your last work out. Your body is burning and eating your own muscles. You need a protein shake every time you work out. Go to nearest Sam's club and buy a bag of 10lbs protein powder for $35. Muscle tech brand.

I don't know about this......

Carbs would be the better choice IMO.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Whats a "Gym Nurse"?

I was wondering the same thing
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I do agree that you need to get in some protein within at least 2 hours after your workout, the sooner the better, but yes there is truth to it I see a difference when I do vs. when I don't get any in for a while.

For the person saying carbs, I thought carbs were good about 30 mins. before a workout.
  • Francl27
    Options
    The gym nurse is the nurse that works at the gym, lol. She's been giving me a lot of inaccurate advice (that I need to eat often to boost my metabolism or should try and build some muscles, when clearly I'm on a calorie deficit, for example), so I'm taking it all with a grain of salt...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Strong sales pitch. Wouldbuy/10.

OP the "Post Workout Window" is nothing to fret over. By all means take in protein post workout, but it doesn't need to be immediately after. As for the quote above.... just god awful information being regurgitated through the latest edition of Muscle & Fitness.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No.

OP, it's mostly myth. You need to hit your protein goals for the day, you don't need to specifically get it in right after working out. Just make sure you are eating enough protein in total for the day.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm still stuck on this Gym nurse concept.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, as long as you have enough protein in your diet, you do not need any protein supplements. Are you aware of how much you're eating? I try to get 1g per pound of lean body mass, so about 90-110g/ day. Eggs, yogurt, cheese, and meat products are all excellent ways to add it to your diet naturally.

That being said, having the largest meal of your day or getting a good amount of protein, within 2 hours of your workout aids in muscle recovery. I imagine this helps rebuild the muscles worked through lifting. If I can't eat around that time, I have a protein shake or bar. My favorite shake is Calnaturale Cappuccino Protein Drink (straight from the fridge, already made) with 16g protein. Favorite bar is PROBAR Core Mint Chocolate with 20g protein. Hope that was helpful!
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    pshhhhh. no. the whole post-workout "meal window" thing has no meaningful scientific basis. Everything you eat averages out; just eat enough protein throughout the day. If you do eat a meal a few hours after your workout, it should be balanced and have enough protein...but that goes for any meal you eat. Weight loss will always have some muscle lost with the fat, but the only proven way to minimize that is to make sure you're not completely starving yourself at a crazy deficit. People say "use the muscles and you won't lose them"- seems like nonsense to me but I haven't found any scientific evidence either way. Of course, working out is good so I still do it, I'm not saying don't work out- I'm just saying there's very little scientific evidence that we can influence how our body chooses to lose weight. Just like you can't spot-reduce fat, you can't spot-preserve muscle.

Post-workout meal timing COULD matter for a competitive athlete trying to maximize their glyogen stores for maximum training or competition (aka carb loading). But normal people working out in a gym...no. I researched this a lot a few years ago. Get on PubMed and find the science!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok thanks I just wanted to make sure! I try to eat at least 110g of protein a day (goal is 120).
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Ok thanks I just wanted to make sure! I try to eat at least 110g of protein a day (goal is 120).

Then you are fine.

If you are worried about losing muscle.

Take some BCAAs
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Missed 15 minute anabolic window, all gains lost
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    lol
    Absolute barking nonsense OP.
    I challenge anyone to provide evidence for this eating window.
    Just eat within your macros for the day.
  • BIH92
    BIH92 Posts: 14
    Options

Then you are fine.

Take some BCAAs

I wouldn't just take BCAA's....why if you can take whey protein and you get everything in the protein whey such as BCAA's, Glutamine, vitamins, etc.

You recommending carbs? why?...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    broscience!!!! Yes there is supposedly a window where you may absorb more after working out.. but that window isn't 10 minutes or whatever.. its like 2-4 hours.. and the gains you may experience are not mind blowing.. get your protein in during the day and you will be good to go.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Then you are fine.

Take some BCAAs

I wouldn't just take BCAA's....why if you can take whey protein and you get everything in the protein whey such as BCAA's, Glutamine, vitamins, etc.

You recommending carbs? why?...
    OP said they were not hungry or felt like eating....that is why I recommended BCAAs.

I recommended carbs (if anything was needed) because studies have shown that post workout (lifting weights), your body was more receptive to carbs to replenish used up glucose.....and the body was more efficient within a 2 hr window post workout.

Beyond 2 hrs, the uptake by the body was the same.
    So if the person got carbs in 3 hrs or 8 hrs post workout, the uptake was the same.

Alan Aragon.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    lol
    Absolute barking nonsense OP.
    I challenge anyone to provide evidence for this eating window.
    Just eat within your macros for the day.

v46ipy.gif